Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Anti-Semitism

Australian Anti-Semitism

Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Bronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant future
Default Australian Anti-Semitism

I am a British citizen who recently moved to Australia with my American husband and our 2 children, aged 12 and 15. My family is Jewish, and due to the fact that we have a surname that is quite well known to be a Jewish last name, it is evident to most to whom we are introduced.
Since we have moved to Australia, we have encountered several instances of anti-semitism, or I should say, my children have. My 12 year old, who is very shy and very sweet, came home in tears from school because students at the school have taken to calling him "<insert my son's name>the Jew". My 15 year old has been called anti-Jewish names as well, and had 'Big Nosed Kike" written on his school locker. I have spoken with teachers, and while a few seem to care, a few seem to say something along the lines of 'well, kids will be kids'. I'm sorry, but no. Kids should not have to be treated poorly and tormented because of their race or religion.
We had really wanted to move to Australia, but now I feel like moving back to either the US or the UK, places where we have never experienced such bigotry. Is this horrible anti-semetic behavior common over all Australia? Or perhaps just prevalent amongst the younger generation?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Anti-Semitism

wow I have never experienced anything like that (not that I am Jewish).
My mate who is and has a very noticeable surname, was not targetted when we were travelling around together.
I hope this is an exception as most people (well those I have encountered in Vic) seem fairly relaxed about the racial backgrounds of people. Hopefully this is a one off and things improve for you as it is a horrible introduction to the country and awful for little kids to go through.

My H and child are both Asian (mixed) and have had no rude and bigotted comments, so perhaps we have been lucky.
I wonder if it is the area you are in ? Where do you live?

People do experience racism, but apart from the 'pommie' stuff it has been heresay from my perspective.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

Thats just horrendous and should in no way be tolerated by the school. In this day and age, there is no excuse for any kind of prejudicial behaviour. Does the school have a board of governors or anything that you can complain too? By the teachers failure to take action they are sending the children that are doing this a message that its OK to spout this kind of drivel.

As for weather racism is prevalent in Australian society, I'm sure it most probably is. Unfortunately its in every so called civilised society around the world. I would suspect that it may have a lot to do with where you live, just like in the UK. When I lived in London, I found people to be a lot more tolerant of people from different cultures/religions to where I live now. This is most probably because London is such a diverse city, where as Liverpool (the suburbs rather than the innercitys) it's not so diverse and recently there has been a spate of hate crimes against black people that have come to live in the area.

Ignorant people tend to dislike and fear anyone that may be somehow perceive to different from themselves. Where kids are involved, you tend to find that they are reflecting the attitude of their parents although some kids just tend to go with the group despite knowing its wrong because they don't want the flack that your kids are getting to fall on them as well.

I wish you the best of luck with this one and I hope that it will get sorted quickly. No kid deserves to be picked on.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:14 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
wow I have never experienced anything like that (not that I am Jewish).
My mate who is and has a very noticeable surname, was not targetted when we were travelling around together.
I hope this is an exception as most people (well those I have encountered in Vic) seem fairly relaxed about the racial backgrounds of people. Hopefully this is a one off and things improve for you as it is a horrible introduction to the country and awful for little kids to go through.

My H and child are both Asian (mixed) and have had no rude and bigotted comments, so perhaps we have been lucky.
I wonder if it is the area you are in ? Where do you live?

People do experience racism, but apart from the 'pommie' stuff it has been heresay from my perspective.
Same here with my family's mixed background. Experienced zero racism in the UK and nothing here so far this time around. One of my sons said something to me the other day about "belonging" that disturbed me a little. It makes me wonder if I should investigate that a little deeper now

To the OP: I think you either have to make a bigger issue with your sons' school about the racism and threaten to take it a lot higher or if you would prefer a quieter solution consider changing schools but make sure you consult with members of the established local Jewish community as to which one. I'd also ask your sons what they think you should do. And definately consider enrolling your kids in martial arts/self defence classes.

Last edited by paulry; Feb 20th 2011 at 6:17 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for your children. Only my opinion but I believe that its alive and well here in Aus and I have never understood why the Jewish people take it on the chin. If it was other races it would be in all the papers etc. I would not put up with it but of course you do not want to make things worse for your children.

It may be the area you live in or the school you have chosen. There is a fair bit of under current racism which mainly comes from different ethnic groups to each other and therefore it very much depends on the mix in the schools.

I would hate this to change your idea of Australia because for me I think our Jewish citizens have done great things for this country and I am sure I am not alone thinking this way.

As has been said I would investigate the matter within the community and see what can be done.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:26 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is a wind-up.
Kike? never heard of it,nor have my 14 & 17 yr old Australian sons.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:40 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I'd be surprised if Aussie school kids used this term. It's an American term of abuse and the only time I've come across it outside of the US is the 'Life of Brian' film. I'd also be surprised if Aussie school kids could identify a Jewish surname.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I'd also be surprised if Aussie school kids could identify a Jewish surname.
It probably depends where you live. I live in a very Jewish area and I'd have thought the kids could work something like that out, but then I'd also be surprised if there was an issue.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Bronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant futureBronley has a brilliant future

I'm sorry that this sounds like a wind-up to you, but even if you are not affected by prejudice, you need to know that others are. And 'kike' is a very well known derogatory term for Jewish people, which is used internationally.

As for everyone else, thank you for your kind words. We have been thinking of changing schools, as I am afraid that even if teachers do start taking the abuse seriously, my sons will still be unable to make friends as the other children will feel being ostracized by others. I know many Aussies are not like this, but in my experience there is a lot of bigotry in the country, racism as well as anti-semitism. I really would rather not pick up and leave, but nothing is worth the damage this has done to my kids' self-esteem. If I don't see a change in the boys/the peers at their new school, I almost feel we have no choice. Thanks so much again to all the kind people who posted on this thread...I basically started it out of sadness and frustration, and I am glad to know I am not the only one, and that I am not 'making too big a deal' out of this (as one of the mothers of one of the school bullies said!)
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:49 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
It probably depends where you live. I live in a very Jewish area and I'd have thought the kids could work something like that out, but then I'd also be surprised if there was an issue.
I guess. A kid growing up in Golders Green would have known this way before me.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, don't feed the troll!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:55 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

The younger generation must hear it from somewhere.

My friend in Melbourne posted this on fb in November because she said it made her ashamed to be Australian.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/he...126-18aql.html
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. "Kike" is not a word that is in common usage in Australia. Sounds to me more like the kids have been telling porkies as they would be the ones more likely to use the word "Kike" than their Australian peers.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard this term used before but never in Australia and I have been here 30 years. Only in American films.........

I just asked 2 Aussie born and bred teenagers and they said they have never heard of the term, I also asked them if they knew of any Jewish sounding surnames but they didn't even know what I was on about...........

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 20th 2011 at 9:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.