Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australia vs usa

australia vs usa

Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:11 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: australia vs usa

Originally Posted by Lathlain
You should head to Redfern in Sydney for the guns and drugs then head to Hillsong for the dodgy evangelists!
Redfern has the carjackings but the guns are generally reserved for Lebanese family feuds out in Lakemba/Bankstown areas. Have you heard that Hillsong chart release? Even more disturbing is that it did well!!!!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:26 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Going by the RL World Cups (Ireland & the Lebanon) - the USA is probably a bunch of Aussie Expats anyway.

Pro's of Australia

George Bush is currently on the letter I for Iraq in his invasion plans. He still has most of the alphabet to go through before he reaches A again. Apparently he's looking for places beginning with J now.....Jersey is not looking too good for a holiday at the moment.

Con's

Not sure is Dubya knows the alphabet properly.

Paul.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:35 pm
ugez009

I lived in Los Angeles, California for 2 years few years back. I had chance of taking a green card, but chose to return to London. I got residency to Aus April. The american dream still exisits and if you are interested in making money and working in certain unique industries at the cutting edge, US is your place. I found Americans generally OK as individuals, but as a group they tend to be similar thinking. I feel Australia is not so intense and more laid back. US is a nightmare today for visa etc. I think Sydney has a simlar feel to LA, bit not so intense experience with nicer people.

Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:18 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlantatoaus
hi

What is a better place to be the us or australia? I know its a personal decision but what would be the pros and cons of both places
The structures and institutions of Australia are much more akin to those of Britain than the US ones are (e.g. Westminster parliamentary system, similar court and legal systems, similar system of medical/nursing/pharmacist training means that similar people in the health system deal with similar things as in the UK, etc). This might or might not be important to you, and of course in time it wouldn't matter anyway as you get used to things, but it would make life easier to understand in the beginning, I should think.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
The structures and institutions of Australia are much more akin to those of Britain than the US ones are (e.g. Westminster parliamentary system,
Although the Australian Senate is modelled on the US Senate, rather than the British House of Lords.

Jeremy
Old Nov 12th 2004, 9:42 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Although the Australian Senate is modelled on the US Senate, rather than the British House of Lords.

Jeremy
Yes, that's very true. The NSW upper House (Legislative Council) was conceived (back in the 1830s) on lines much more akin to the House of Lords, although the similarities are very much diluted now, if not entirely absent. And of course, there are many differences between the UK and the Australian systems in lots of fields - for example, Queensland has no upper house at all, and there is no absolute dichotomy between barristers and solicitors in Victoria (a legacy of the days when lawyers were scarce in the new colony).

Indeed, the mere existence of the states, with their own governors, legislatures, premiers, civil services etc, is an obvious Australian difference from the UK, and it is not always at all transparent whether a particular issue is a state or federal one.

In fact, as an aside, it will be interesting to see, if an Australian republic is accepted at referendum in the future, what happens in the states - the removal of the Queen as head of state of Australia would not, in theory, have any effect on the arrangements in any of the states. (This question was half-heartedly raised before the referendum in 1999, but the issue was pushed to one side and largely ignored as being not important - indeed, like the whole republic question itself it is not important in terms of people's day-to-day lives, but there could be a constitutional mess even so.)

Last edited by CPW; Nov 12th 2004 at 11:37 am.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 11:19 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Badge
Lathian, the Septics will get creamed. Cricket scores, eh?

They'll be turnstiles. Will Australia field a 2nd string?

BM
Yeah it will be a cricket score but the Americans are great at hype arent they.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atlantatoaus
hi

What is a better place to be the us or australia? I know its a personal decision but what would be the pros and cons of both places
Off the tap of my hat
pros:
fabulous place less stressful life(thats what I have been told)
immigration is easier compared to the us
no george w
medicare isnt as screwed as it is in the us
you have cricket (I really miss that)

what else
any insight appreciated
regards
pooja
Depends....I think that if you are Caucasian, you'll feel more at home in Australia and Aussies will be very friendly to you. If you''re a person of color you will have lesser trouble fitting in in the USA. Aus has the added stress of dealing with discrimination and a lot of prejudgements of people of color.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:13 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: australia vs usa

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I once read that Australia is America without the guns, drugs and evangalists...I think that pretty much sums it up
I think this sums up the ans for what was asked..
This ShellFish stole words from my mouth....

My experience about US has been cool but too much of freedom...I guess..not sure how Oz is..!

Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

RoganJosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult one this.
One country's full of highly self-opinionated wannabes who are more than happy to pass judgement on everyone else when they should be taking a good hard look at themselves, and the others are Yanks.
I just don't know.........