Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia vs South Africa Test

Australia vs South Africa Test

Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia vs South Africa Test

Originally Posted by wengerboy
only been over here 4 months but am learning very fast about australian sport and australian coverage of their sport
as for smith`s decision complete no brainer but think punta would have batted longer
Co-incidentally I've learned the same about the press in the UK. It happens everywhere. Parochialism - but in Australia's case it is further exacerbated by the 'tyranny of distance'.

I wonder if in Austalia a bunch of cricketers could all get honours (including one who played in one test) for winning for the first time of asking in 9 attempts and be team of the year, provide sports personality of the year etc? Meanwhile a guy who wins a world championship for the 13th time doesn't even get nominated for anything (because he plays that working class game darts and he belongs to an organisation who show their sport on Sky rather than the BBC - same as the boxer Hatton but umm he did get nominated and boxing is a noble art).

OzTennis
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Smith made a brave decision with his declaration, no doubt. Australia were lucky in that the sun came out & the pitch didn't deteriorate. Saying that, Ponting has come on as a captain. I think he was a major liability against England & was a major part in theim losing the ashes. He's starting to prove himself. There is not much difference between Australia & South Africa. There was some really poor refereeing decision over the last 2 games, some of which changed the games completely. Australia knew how to win , SA did not. The upcoming series in SA will be interesting.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:21 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Co-incidentally I've learned the same about the press in the UK. It happens everywhere. Parochialism - but in Australia's case it is further exacerbated by the 'tyranny of distance'.

I wonder if in Austalia a bunch of cricketers could all get honours (including one who played in one test) for winning for the first time of asking in 9 attempts and be team of the year, provide sports personality of the year etc? Meanwhile a guy who wins a world championship for the 13th time doesn't even get nominated for anything (because he plays that working class game darts and he belongs to an organisation who show their sport on Sky rather than the BBC - same as the boxer Hatton but umm he did get nominated and boxing is a noble art).

OzTennis
Even the UK press does`nt have a commentator as biased as Eddie Mcguire
AFL fans must be chuffed to bits that Channel 9 lost the rights
as for Taylor i`ve been a huge fan of his for years and he has already recieved an MBE for services to the game and his charity work.
if Hatton has`nt had one yet he should have after 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_d...rs/1092659.stm

Last edited by wengerboy; Jan 6th 2006 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:06 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

only been over here 4 months but am learning very fast about australian sport and australian coverage of their sport
as for smith`s decision complete no brainer but think punta would have batted longer

Ponting would have told his players to start smacking the ball around like they did in Melbourne and not do what Kalis did which was very
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:06 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Ponting would have told his players to start smacking the ball around like they did in Melbourne and not do what Kalis did which was very
i`m certainly not a kallis fan (boycott in disguise)
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Even the UK press does`nt have a commentator as biased as Eddie Mcguire
AFL fans must be chuffed to bits that Channel 9 lost the rights
as for Taylor i`ve been a huge fan of his for years and he has already recieved an MBE for services to the game and his charity work.
if Hatton has`nt had one yet he should have after 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_d...rs/1092659.stm
My reference to Phil Taylor was on him not being shortlisted in the top 6 by the BBC for their award (and never has been). He was in the press last week saying the BBC were 'snobby' and seemingly hadn't forgiven him for defecting to the organisation which has it's events shown on Sky (but he noted the double standards because the same applies to Hatton).

I agree about McGuire and being a Bulldogs fan the black and white bias is galling!

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i`m certainly not a kallis fan (boycott in disguise)
Statistically the world's best batsman at the beginning of December(apparently):

BATTING:
1 Jacques Kallis (SA)
2 Brian Lara (WI)
3 Ricky Ponting (AUS)
4 Inzamam-ul-Haq (PAK)
5 Rahul Dravid (IND)
6 Matthew Hayden (AUS)
7 Virender Sehwag (IND)
8 Marcus Trescothick (ENG)
9 Sachin Tendulkar (IND)
10 Younis Khan (PAK)

I dare say the next lot of rankings will promote Ponting, Hayden (and Hussey, although maybe not him because I think they are calculated over 12 months like tennis rankings?)

OzTennis
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:16 am
Up The Arse!!

Statistically the world's best batsman at the beginning of December(apparently):

BATTING:
1 Jacques Kallis (SA)
2 Brian Lara (WI)
3 Ricky Ponting (AUS)
4 Inzamam-ul-Haq (PAK)
5 Rahul Dravid (IND)
6 Matthew Hayden (AUS)
7 Virender Sehwag (IND)
8 Marcus Trescothick (ENG)
9 Sachin Tendulkar (IND)
10 Younis Khan (PAK)

I dare say the next lot of rankings will promote Ponting, Hayden (and Hussey, although maybe not him because I think they are calculated over 12 months like tennis rankings?)

OzTennis
IMHO i think that kallis is more interested in his average than the team(i also thought this of boycott) technically perfect but in todays faster scoring game almost a burden.
After the recent tour of Pakistan and the ashes i would rather have younis khan, inzy, ponting,hussey and tresco ahead of kallis all have the ability to score quickly and turn games,rarely would an innings stagnate with those men at the crease.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

IMHO i think that kallis is more interested in his average than the team(i also thought this of boycott) technically perfect but in todays faster scoring game almost a burden.
After the recent tour of Pakistan and the ashes i would rather have younis khan, inzy, ponting,hussey and tresco ahead of kallis all have the ability to score quickly and turn games,rarely would an innings stagnate with those men at the crease.
In theory SA have enough good batsmen to build a great score around the rock of Kallis - Smith, De Villiers, Gibbs etc even down to Boucher and Pollock is one of the most impressive 'paper line-ups' in Test cricket. Steve Waugh played a similar role to the one which Kallis performs - crease occupier, steady run accumulator. There is always a place for the likes of Kallis in a team (my how your 'Wengerboys' are missing Viera for example).

Oh and BTW the 20/20 game added further evidence to the size of the gap currently between the performance (not the promise or potential) of SA and the baggy greens.

OzTennis
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:37 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

In theory SA have enough good batsmen to build a great score around the rock of Kallis - Smith, De Villiers, Gibbs etc even down to Boucher and Pollock is one of the most impressive 'paper line-ups' in Test cricket. Steve Waugh played a similar role to the one which Kallis performs - crease occupier, steady run accumulator. There is always a place for the likes of Kallis in a team (my how your 'Wengerboys' are missing Viera for example).

Oh and BTW the 20/20 game added further evidence to the size of the gap currently between the performance (not the promise or potential) of SA and the baggy greens.

OzTennis

you're right there is a place for a Steve Waugh type player who can occupy the crease and still score runs at a steady pace.....but Kallis isn't doing that. He occupies just fine, but creates all kinds of pressure by not scoring.

SA's have the batsmen, but what good is that when they can't bowl themselves out of a wet paper bag?!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by banjo
you're right there is a place for a Steve Waugh type player who can occupy the crease and still score runs at a steady pace.....but Kallis isn't doing that. He occupies just fine, but creates all kinds of pressure by not scoring.

SA's have the batsmen, but what good is that when they can't bowl themselves out of a wet paper bag?!
Australia were 'toiling' on a number of occasions during the series because of the bowling, at different times of Ntini (injured for 3rd test but was he missed as Langeveldt got quite a few top order wickets), Pollock and Nel. They didn't fire together which was a problem - or was the batting of Ponting, Hussey, Hodge, Hayden, Gilchrist and Symonds (last 2 once) the thing which gave them the 'paper bag quality'? SA don't have a balanced attack, the spinners are either part-time, lack penetration or have a suspect action.

I'll be very interested to see how Harmison, Hoggard, Jones and Flintoff do against the above batsmen. I'm expecting them to be reduced to the same paper bag quality next time.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:15 am
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

If you really enjoy cricket and who wouldn't when living in Australia! Join the WACA & become a member. We have, relatively cheap and so many fantastic offers!

Jayne
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:01 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
If you really enjoy cricket and who wouldn't when living in Australia! Join the WACA & become a member. We have, relatively cheap and so many fantastic offers!

Jayne

I am.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Try getting into either of the MCC's (Melbourne or Marylebone) - name down at birth, might get in within 20 years. Money and connections can hasten you up the waiting list though at both.

OzTennis
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis
Twenty20 cricket whilst good fun is no reflection on the state of a team. Ponting acknowledged as much. It's a spectacle to attract a crowd that does not really follow cricket. In the twenty20 game in England last year, England beat Australia by about the same margin as Australia won with last night. The Ashes were a much closer fought contest. Australia are a better team than SA at the moment, no question, but SA had some bad luck with umpiring & weather. SA's batting is fine, including Kallis, he's been solid for SA in the past & got them out of trouble in several games. Bowling is the problem, Ntini blows hot & cold, Pollock, although economical, lacks penetration. SA lacks (always have) a decent spin bowler. They need to tighten up. Australia will have a tough time in SA. The Australian cricket team, especially Warne, Mcgrath & Lee, is not popular (putting it mildly) in SA. The crowds & media will be hostile (same as for SA over here). SA play well at home. I can't wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.