Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia via USA

Australia via USA

Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Australia via USA

just debating about going via America would like to take in Florida before going to Australia, has anyone done this or investigated it??

how long does it take for the flights and how does it compare cost wise, which airlines fly this route?

Thank you

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Australia via USA

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
just debating about going via America would like to take in Florida before going to Australia, has anyone done this or investigated it??

how long does it take for the flights and how does it compare cost wise, which airlines fly this route?

Thank you

Chris
Not sure, but I think New Zealand air does this.

Here is something I picked up from their website today: http://203.167.234.188/uk/airfarespecial/

-- start
These great airfares offer so much. Firstly you can choose free stopovers in Los Angeles in both directions. Also take advantage of an additional free stopover in either Fiji or Tahiti on your way to Australia. And to top off this great value, you can include Auckland stopovers in both directions for only another £50 per stop.
-- stop

I found the stuff above at: http://203.167.234.188/uk/airfarespecial/1832.htm

Not exactly Florida though .. I know! hehe

Fiji or Tahiti is nice though?! LA is a strange place as well!

With NZ air you actually get 64 kg bagga allowance I am told:

--
Journeys to or from the USA, US territories and Canada, including flights between New Zealand and the UK via Los Angeles (piece system)

The free allowance in all classes of travel is 2 pieces of baggage per person

• No single piece of baggage should weigh more than 32kg
--

I found that at: http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/trave...ggageallowance

Cheers,
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dave, Tracy & Emily is on a distinguished road

Were flying vie US in two weeks, not stopping as Dave has to start work on the 26 April, but the cost was 500 pounds per adult and the flight will take about 30hrs including stops. Reason for going by US is the laugage allows. 2Xbags per person each weighing 32kilo. As we have a one year old who doesn't get any laugage allowance but who has the most stuff we need it. We are fling BA and Qantas.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future

Thank you

Chris

My girlfriend and I are leaving Belfast in 3 weeks time for Sydney via LA and Vegas. We are stoppiong for 10 days in the states and the flights cost us £440 each.

These are one way from Belfast- heathrow-washington-LA-Sydney. We used a company called travelmood and are flying with United Airlines. We have used travelmood before and find them hard to beat but have never used United.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by jskogsta
Not sure, but I think New Zealand air does this.

Here is something I picked up from their website today: http://203.167.234.188/uk/airfarespecial/

-- start
These great airfares offer so much. Firstly you can choose free stopovers in Los Angeles in both directions. Also take advantage of an additional free stopover in either Fiji or Tahiti on your way to Australia. And to top off this great value, you can include Auckland stopovers in both directions for only another £50 per stop.
-- stop

I found the stuff above at: http://203.167.234.188/uk/airfarespecial/1832.htm

Not exactly Florida though .. I know! hehe

Fiji or Tahiti is nice though?! LA is a strange place as well!

With NZ air you actually get 64 kg bagga allowance I am told:

--
Journeys to or from the USA, US territories and Canada, including flights between New Zealand and the UK via Los Angeles (piece system)

The free allowance in all classes of travel is 2 pieces of baggage per person

• No single piece of baggage should weigh more than 32kg
--

I found that at: http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/trave...ggageallowance

Cheers,
Thanks for that will check out the links

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dave, Tracy & Emily
Were flying vie US in two weeks, not stopping as Dave has to start work on the 26 April, but the cost was 500 pounds per adult and the flight will take about 30hrs including stops. Reason for going by US is the laugage allows. 2Xbags per person each weighing 32kilo. As we have a one year old who doesn't get any laugage allowance but who has the most stuff we need it. We are fling BA and Qantas.
Thank you will look at those airlines, cost appears to be comparable to singapore route, Good luck with your journey and with a 1 year old!!!!

Safe journey
Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smood
My girlfriend and I are leaving Belfast in 3 weeks time for Sydney via LA and Vegas. We are stoppiong for 10 days in the states and the flights cost us £440 each.

These are one way from Belfast- heathrow-washington-LA-Sydney. We used a company called travelmood and are flying with United Airlines. We have used travelmood before and find them hard to beat but have never used United.

Thanks for the info, not long till you go then, safe journey to you both,

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We came out via the states and flew with United as well. We booked through Travelmood I think. We went to NY then Orlando, Vegas, LA then Sydney. Very tiring but worth it.

It takes 14 hrs from LA to syd. United are cheap but the service is pretty basic!! Small leg room and moany staff!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We flew LA to Sydney via Seoul on Korean last year. Pleasant enough flights and very cheap.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tinaj
We came out via the states and flew with United as well. We booked through Travelmood I think. We went to NY then Orlando, Vegas, LA then Sydney. Very tiring but worth it.

It takes 14 hrs from LA to syd. United are cheap but the service is pretty basic!! Small leg room and moany staff!!

Thanks for that, as for the moany staff sure my kids could be a match for them after a few days travelling and sighyseeing!!!

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas now fly LA-Brisbane as well.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

tractor boy will become famous soon enoughtractor boy will become famous soon enough

Thank you

Chris
hi chris,
we are going via L.A. in 2 weeks, with Air new zealand, 64 kgs per person baggage and will also take large boxes, (baby stuff) 10 kgs for junior as well, £1100 for 2adults + junior and 2 night in L.A. Flights east would only quote specail migrants fare £789 + per adult, £300 + for junior and couldn't do stopover in singapore, and only 40kgs per person.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Qantas now fly LA-Brisbane as well.
thank you gonna have lots of options to explore.

Chris
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris.

Hubby and I flew to Oz via Florida and had a great time!!

We went down to the Keys and swam with dolphins and loved every minute of it. I would do it again in a heartbeat (Although not during hurricane season...Jeanne was a little too close for comfort)

We flew United and I have flown United loads of times and would always recommend them. Whatever you do, dont forget to join their frequent flyer club. You can do it online.

If you need any help with Florida, let me know. I know it pretty well.

Hels
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

Chris

Make sure your passports meet US requirements or otherwise you'll get no further than the check-in desk.

For the US visa waiver, machine readable passports are a must and children on parents passports a total no-no.

It's also possible to fly via Vancouver, Canada and take in Hawaii if you wish.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.