Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia as a tourist destination is..

Australia as a tourist destination is..

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia as a tourist destination is..

I have been looking at a family holiday for a week away in November and i am finding it hard to keep the cost down i am in nsw and there is loads of places around to go to but to stay somewhere for a week it can get pretty expensive with food/petrol/accom.
We are even considering a cruise as all the cost is included but of course hubby is not keen on being on a boat for more than hour
When i was in Mackay we never went on a holiday we just went up to Airlie Beach on weekends and maybe an island trip but this seemed to get expensive after a while.
I would love to go skiing and see some snow but the cost is a little to much will maybe try and get one night out there so least my little boy can get to see some snow

Last edited by LINZI; Aug 2nd 2010 at 10:58 pm. Reason: opps worded a little wrong ...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Dee01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LINDZI
I have been looking at a family holiday for a week away in November and i am finding it hard to keep the cost down i am in nsw and there is loads of places around to go to but to stay somewhere for a week it can get pretty expensive with food/petrol/accom.
We are even considering a cruise as all the cost is included but of course hubby is not keen on being on a boat for more than hour
When i was in Mackay we never went on a holiday we just went up to Airlie Beach on weekends and maybe an island trip but this seemed to get expensive after a while.
I would love to go skiing and see some snow but the cost is a little to much will maybe try and get one night out there so least my little boy can get to see some snow
Smiles Snow is soo over-rated!! after the first few days and some lovely pics we ended up staring out our window for a week cursing it!! I ran out of nappies and supplies as closest shop 4.5 miles away, grrr

When in the beautiful sun...one want's a snow holiday!!
when living in the snow...one want's a beach/sunny hol!! and my son could only take about half hour out in the cold in ski suit, so went perky nana for rest of day stuck indoors!!!

we can't win can we!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippy01
Smiles Snow is soo over-rated!! after the first few days and some lovely pics we ended up staring out our window for a week cursing it!! I ran out of nappies and supplies as closest shop 4.5 miles away, grrr

When in the beautiful sun...one want's a snow holiday!!
when living in the snow...one want's a beach/sunny hol!! and my son could only take about half hour out in the cold in ski suit, so went perky nana for rest of day stuck indoors!!!

we can't win can we!!!
Aww nooo well maybe just stick to the one night then
We did take him ice skating the other month and he shivered the whole time he was not used to the cold as he had spent his first few years in Queensland so will make sure i wrap him up good
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Dee01 is on a distinguished road

Aww nooo well maybe just stick to the one night then
We did take him ice skating the other month and he shivered the whole time he was not used to the cold as he had spent his first few years in Queensland so will make sure i wrap him up good
I just chuckled so hard at your skating experience! triple that in coldness on a snowy day, its hard to walk in the snow, especially for little ones!! he literally fell down did a snow angel ( but was actually stuck and was struggling to get to his feet, whilst we thought it cute, ha ha not knowing his dilema, bless him) we still in Uk and can't wait to come over in Jan! I know, I know its hot in summer!! so will find a beach/pool etc... but better than being stuck indoors mostly! its august now and Autumn is starting, we getting bit sad knowing the rain, cold gray skies etc is on its way again and we indoors or like little piggys in the mud ruining the lawn!!

Opooops this thread is about holidays etc... Well Spain and Turky and South France are not that cheap anymore like they used to be so Cornwall here we come!!! at the moment I think me and hubby working hard like we do here (expecting to work longer hours in Aus to get on our feet again which is fair enough) will be all the worthwhile if it means a day in the sunny garden with our kids watching them get tired out lol !!!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Tourism came up today in the Melbourne/Sydney thread. It happened to be a subject covered in the Age today too. It was a negative article about tourism. (Yes! - the Australian press is quite capable of levelling criticism - in a Melbourne-based paper anyhow.)

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blog...802-1125p.html

Read the comments in the blog which are interesting. Amongst other things:

Locals/Australians say:
i) Australia is overpriced - reference holidaying - [to say nothing of prices elswhere].
ii) Think that Australian tourism is marketing itself wrongly - serving up old hackneyed ideas to a global audience.
iii) That many would rather go overseas.

Interesting that Australians are complaining. It's not just a British thing. And that as someone points out, that Australia is a bit stuck - because if it markets itself as one sort of destination then it can't compete with N America, say, when N America is closer to some of its target audience. It almost has to continue with the tired old 'shrimp on the barbie' because that is what it can still compete on..an edge? - not really.

Discuss.
Hols are cheaper overseas, more cutural attractions and distances von A to B are much less. Plus AUS pensioners can now afford to travel overseas on a regular basis for a longer period of time to visit relatives in the Uk eg. I had a very cheap holiday in Germany and Cyprus this year, excellent food, very very green in Germany, everyhting need and tiny and well maintained. Despite that we had a private car we used a lot of plublic transport to go around, it's effective and the network covers a large area. On top of it, traffic in Germany was little compare to Perth, everybody was on the bike. It was like a breath of fresh air. Plus WHITE ASPARAGUS stalls everywhere!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If you only want to see a bit of snow then you could consider staying off the mountain and then driving up to the snow. You'd still have to pay for chains (unless you have a 4WD and are going to a NSW resort) and park entry unless you go to Dinner Plain in Vic. You can avoid park entry fees if you enter after a certain time (3.30pm at Hotham from memory) which would give you a couple of hours of snow play and a nice place to drink hot chocolate whilst taking in the views.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark1963
I was in Canada Skiing earlier this year, i was surprised at the ammount of Aussies over there, especially the ones moaning about how dear it was to ski in Aus, and how it was cheaper to fly to Canada for Skiinig.

Now thats a sign of the times !!
There's a lot of truth in that. Skiing is extremely expensive in Australia.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

The article mentioned Australian ski-passes being expensive - (if not the article - a blog entry).

I've met Aussies all over the world, working and travelling. They really do crop up everywhere - from London merchant banks, Frankfurt, Luxembourg and South America. To be honest, anyone who thinks that Australians don't travel is probably the same victim of demographics and is in the same boat as the people they themselves are criticising - either by association or from the same mould(!)
$99 for a one day lift pass at Mt Buller. $423 for a 5 day pass.

The last time I went up to Mt Buller I spent over $1500 just for the weekend. Accommodation, lift pass etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Got it in one. It said I think that people come to Australia as a once-off - and young people come for awhile and then that's it. I think some people genuinely want to see for themselves.

It mentioned that a lot of Asians are not interested in sea and sand and would rather mooch around in a city.
Agree.Used to be a great country to backpack around..still okay apart from the cost but if it is value for money in another thing.
Asians would probably find it wanting with mediocre shopping and night life,once they have covered the wildlife thing.
Still for folk wanting to undertake a road journey type holiday just the distance alone adds a different dimension to the trip.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
Hols are cheaper overseas, more cutural attractions and distances von A to B are much less. Plus AUS pensioners can now afford to travel overseas on a regular basis for a longer period of time to visit relatives in the Uk eg. I had a very cheap holiday in Germany and Cyprus this year, excellent food, very very green in Germany, everyhting need and tiny and well maintained. Despite that we had a private car we used a lot of plublic transport to go around, it's effective and the network covers a large area. On top of it, traffic in Germany was little compare to Perth, everybody was on the bike. It was like a breath of fresh air. Plus WHITE ASPARAGUS stalls everywhere!
Indeed far more to see and experience overseas.Done a road trip around Germany some years ago using camping grounds.Really great and what camp sites they have there.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:43 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
$99 for a one day lift pass at Mt Buller. $423 for a 5 day pass.

The last time I went up to Mt Buller I spent over $1500 just for the weekend. Accommodation, lift pass etc.
You can burn through that in a day at The Ekka with a couple of kids

... anyway, I'm off to Tassie later in the year, it'll be nice to go overseas.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If i wasnt in Australia there is now way i would come here. Yeah, it has some attractions, but nothing that would be enough to pull me in from the other side of the world. Especiallyt with what it costs to holiday here compared to lots of other parts of the world
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

One comment several OS visitors have made is, OZ is a long way to go for what you can get basically get by taking a 20 quid flight to spain.

Recent visitors have commented on how expensive it is, not just exchange rate, the general price of everything.

Australia doesnt help itself, some of its ways of promoting itself overseas are cringworthy. So embarrassing and show a total lack of awarness that the rest of the world isnt going to get the yob/beer/bbq factor or want to pay inflated prices for the dubious privilidge.

Drop the gday bruce and sheila crap, its not 1980 anymore and the rest of the world has more class.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
the rest of the world has more class.
Never a truer statement has been said...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Indeed far more to see and experience overseas.Done a road trip around Germany some years ago using camping grounds.Really great and what camp sites they have there.
Well, they have been praticing the camp thing for a while ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.