Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by E3only
-80% market share for coles and woolworths I am told
Woolworths and Coles jointly have 79 per cent of sales of branded packaged grocery products. http://www.narga.net.au/?p=10

In 1998 that figure was 66.2%, but it was only 37.3% when all food and grocery spending was taken into account. http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committ...report/c04.htm

On that basis, it is feasible that the current market share for all food and grocery spending, is only about 44%. (Exact figure needs checking)

Those Supermarkets are very expensive here, no doubt about that, but that's why I personally rarely buy any fresh food from them.
Butchers and Fruit & Veg shops are generally much cheaper, and very popular among the locals.

Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How do you account for people complaining about low Australian wages? Is there a disconnect somewhere?
You are kidding me right? At a micro level - money is never enuf. May one earn 10k a year, 100k or 1m.

http://www.fwa.gov.au/index.cfm?page...2009wagereview
http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/#a

At a micro level, Australia is far far better than UK and US. . . Cost of living naturally is higher.

However the +ve of say US is competition that pushes prices down and customer wins. However, US disparity of income massive - the normal curve is somewhat painful.

I remember flipping burgers, running printing press machine and the odd jobs as a student (18+ yo) and getting paid 17$+ and mind you that was 2004.

The government / economics won't function if Australia bread prices are $1 a loaf, similarly the economics won;t function in US the the bread was anywhere near the Australia prices.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:28 pm
ABCDiamond

The government / economics won't function if Australia bread prices are $1 a loaf, similarly the economics won;t function in US the the bread was anywhere near the Australia prices.
I buy Tiptop bread for .... oops, it went up... it's now $1.40

Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Woolworths and Coles jointly have 79 per cent of sales of branded packaged grocery products. http://www.narga.net.au/?p=10

In 1998 that figure was 66.2%, but it was only 37.3% when all food and grocery spending was taken into account. http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committ...report/c04.htm

On that basis, it is feasible that the current market share for all food and grocery spending, is only about 44%. (Exact figure needs checking)

Those Supermarkets are very expensive here, no doubt about that, but that's why I personally rarely buy any fresh food from them.
Butchers and Fruit & Veg shops are generally much cheaper, and very popular among the locals.
Appreciate that, however 44% is way too high if it were up to me. My argument was also around pushing smaller players out of market...yes spending smart is the answer however I am just highlighting the competition aspect. 2 stores have 44% - that's almost close to 'control' in a pure accounting sense. Not the mention the back door investment in smaller places?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shoot - can I get a ride along when you head next

79 cents here in San Francisco (east bay)...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh - you live out of Brisbane? That explains it

I can tell you the cheapest (with some decent quality) bread loaf was 2$ when I was around in Sydney. Of course there could be cheaper stuff but when it comes to food - I go for average not cheapest. Surely won't spend 4$ a loaf....but not going to buy 1$ loaf. That's just me though I am sure.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

Oh - you live out of Brisbane? That explains it

I can tell you the cheapest (with some decent quality) bread loaf was 2$ when I was around in Sydney. Of course there could be cheaper stuff but when it comes to food - I go for average not cheapest. Surely won't spend 4$ a loaf....but not going to buy 1$ loaf. That's just me though I am sure.
Not too far out of Brisbane though

I agree, some of the cheap bread is not good at all, but I disliked paying $3 for a supermarket loaf, and it going dryish after a day or so, so these days we buy a Tiptop make for $1.40, 1 fresh loaf every day, (takes 2 mins coming back from the school) and have daily fresh bread.

An interesting thing with prices.. In Woolworths yesterday I saw sausages for $6.00 kg, and having just bought some decent Rib Fillet steak for $8 kg, I wondered why people pay supermarket prices for sausages.
Those Woolworths ones are probably about the same quality as the $2.99 kg sausage from the butchers. I just realised though, only a few years ago those were only $1.99 kg at the butchers... prices are rising.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Not too far out of Brisbane though

I agree, some of the cheap bread is not good at all, but I disliked paying $3 for a supermarket loaf, and it going dryish after a day or so, so these days we buy a Tiptop make for $1.40, 1 fresh loaf every day, (takes 2 mins coming back from the school) and have daily fresh bread.

An interesting thing with prices.. In Woolworths yesterday I saw sausages for $6.00 kg, and having just bought some decent Rib Fillet steak for $8 kg, I wondered why people pay supermarket prices for sausages.
Those Woolworths ones are probably about the same quality as the $2.99 kg sausage from the butchers. I just realised though, only a few years ago those were only $1.99 kg at the butchers... prices are rising.
I totally dislike W and C - the issue I have is they with the 80% control (or the 44 that you quote) they have a strong lobby. ACCC is useless and the consumer pays for all this cr*p....

On the news today power prices are headed north and they just went up not long ago. Water went up ridiculous amounts not long ago. My strata, council all gone up. Flip side is, the property prices are going crazy too. That's where the economics I said, is at play....
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:11 am
ABCDiamond

I totally dislike W and C - the issue I have is they with the 80% control (or the 44 that you quote) they have a strong lobby. ACCC is useless and the consumer pays for all this cr*p....
If people vote with their feet, and shop where it is cheaper, then things can change, but all the time people are prepared to pay the higher prices, for the 'convenience' of shopping at those two, then nothing will change.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:37 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

There are times when I'm convinced, that you either live in a different country from me, or you have your own time machine.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
There are times when I'm convinced, that you either live in a different country from me, or you have your own time machine.
Different State, different country... .
But remember, the distance between us two is about the same as the distance between London and Prague (Czech Republic).

However, your comment is actually a VERY important one.

There can be big differences in this country, depending on where you live.

I spent a long time finding my ideal location, but I have no doubt there are other similar areas, just as much as I am aware that there are areas that are expensive.

You will note that I only ever disagree when people say "Australia" this and that. Not when they say a more accurate location of their experiences.
For example, those in Perth who complain about the cost in Perth, I tend to agree with.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Different State, different country... .
But remember, the distance between us two is about the same as the distance between London and Prague (Czech Republic).

However, your comment is actually a VERY important one.

There can be big differences in this country, depending on where you live.

I spent a long time finding my ideal location, but I have no doubt there are other similar areas, just as much as I am aware that there are areas that are expensive.

You will note that I only ever disagree when people say "Australia" this and that. Not when they say a more accurate location of their experiences.
For example, those in Perth who complain about the cost in Perth, I tend to agree with.
I wish I could get the same beer as Prague.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:17 am
ABCDiamond

I wish I could get the same beer as Prague.
You should see our local bottle shop I am sure it will have Prague beer somewhere, it seems to have almost everything. Pity it doesn't have an online listing.

I don't drink now, but looking round there the other week was an eye opener to me. I'd take some photos for you, but i'd get embarrassed taking them

Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:46 am
Account Closed

You should see our local bottle shop I am sure it will have Prague beer somewhere, it seems to have almost everything. Pity it doesn't have an online listing.

I don't drink now, but looking round there the other week was an eye opener to me. I'd take some photos for you, but i'd get embarrassed taking them
My local Dan Murphy's has some Czech beer in bottles... but its just not the same as getting on draught. Same with the UK beers that are available.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:18 am
ABCDiamond

My local Dan Murphy's has some Czech beer in bottles... but its just not the same as getting on draught. Same with the UK beers that are available.
That reminds me of the first time I saw draught beer being sold in cans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.