Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Now that is better than just "Australia"

However, has anyone tried these:

Victoria
  • Castricum, Dandenong.
  • CWB, The House of Quality Meats, Springvale.
  • Oakdale Meat Company. Dandenong.
  • PJ Meats, Campbellfield.
  • The Big Butcher, Thomastown.

New South Wales
  • Handlers Wholesale Butchery, Rushcutters Bay.
  • Pendleham, Pendle Hill.
  • Penrith Builk Food Warehouse, Penrith.
  • RG Meats, Brookvale.
  • Vic’s Meats, Mascot

When we lived in Sydney, I was still able to find places that did discount meat prices. But as I moved about 8 years ago, they may have closed down since I took my custom elsewhere
Come on then... where's my cheap butcher?

...and why are you late on deck?. I was throwing the ABCD bait around hours ago and you didn't bite. Damn tardy if you ask me.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

[*]Castricum, Dandenong.
It's probably the kindest thing they could do.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Come on then... where's my cheap butcher?

...and why are you late on deck?. I was throwing the ABCD bait around hours ago and you didn't bite. Damn tardy if you ask me.
I was at the butchers and the fruit market

Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Show us your plums !
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Was that you in the raincoat taking pictures of the sides of beef
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Some people are happy to pay 'retail' price for everything..... $30/kilo for steak, buy all their consumer goods from harvey normans/DJs/Myers at ticket price, buy their brand new home off the plan, go to their local big 4 bank for a 'special introductory rate' on their home loan..... I could go on and on.

whereas others seem to pay a lot less for the same things.
If everyone on here shopped like you and me then half of the debate on BE would end and most of the Aussie haters on here would have one less thing to moan about!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
When did you last see 'juicy steaks' on sale for $5 a kilo?
It's $2.50 a kilo in my local butchers for dog food !
I am not the food buyer, I wouldn't have a clue how much anything costs if it doesn't arrive in either a liquor bottle or a pint glass
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Was that you in the raincoat taking pictures of the sides of beef
I never saw a raincoat taking any pictures ...

Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

I came to aust 4 months ago, my salary is 50% of what it used to be in the UK despite putting 50% more hours!!! I have found everything in Aust more expensive than the UK except for petrol. Will be returning to the UK in a few weeks to re-think my options.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Brightonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I have heard that Walmart is considering setting up in Australia.
Don't hold your breath. Rumour has it they did try a few years ago, but Woolworths spat the dummy and it never happened. Woolworths seem to be running this country and it won't be long before they bring it to it's kness.

Why is it that tropical fruit that is grown in this country is more expensive than in the UK were it's shipped in ?.

Last edited by Brightonian; Jul 28th 2010 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brightonian
Don't hold your breath. Rumour has it they did try a few years ago, but Woolworths spat the dummy and it never happened. Woolworths seem to be running this country and it won't be long before they bring it to it's kness.

Why is it that tropical friut that is grown in this country is more expensive than in the UK were it's shipped in ?.
Hmmm there is always Tescos

Note toself... must not respond to Brightonian with booze inside
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that tropical friut that is grown in this country is more expensive than in the UK were it's shipped in ?.
West Indians are cheaper than Banana-benders.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Why is it that tropical fruit that is grown in this country is more expensive than in the UK were it's shipped in ?.
Well the mangoes are nowhere near as ripe/sweet as they are in Aus and i just paid 1.99 for a ' sweet ' one from tescos.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I came to aust 4 months ago, my salary is 50% of what it used to be in the UK despite putting 50% more hours!!! I have found everything in Aust more expensive than the UK except for petrol. Will be returning to the UK in a few weeks to re-think my options.
Did you come over on the 'pleb package' offered by the government migration programme? Sometimes migrants seem to get the rough deal whatever they do. Luck plays an important part. Probably the best thing to do - return - and/or start again...(!)
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Number of factors I suspect. Market size and density for a start. We have a relatively low population spread over a greater area to ship and stores here wont shift the sheer volume that the Uk stores can purely because of the size of customer base.

Secondly, the apathy and conditioning of the Australian public that we somehow think its ok that supermarkets can gouge prices by offering different prices in the same chain for the same item, just depending on if there is local competition.

Thats just a couple to get started with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.