Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

in my short time here i have worked out this. some things are more expensive but it is all relative - for example spending $10 at lunch is nothing to many who i work with, but then i suppose it all depends on your salary and disposable.

back home i wouldnt spent £7 or so on my lunch lol.

and anyways i dont care - so far i like it here, my wife likes it here and my daughter is adjusting nicely too. oh and our new landlord will allow us to have our dog so he's coming too.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danjones1
OZ is very expensive now compared to pretty much anywhere on earth and I can't believe mugs still go out there and want to live in this paradise!
Paradise...

I guess that rules out any hope of a balanced view from you then.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
That's because The Espy is a bit of a shithole really.
It was a shithole when I went there in 1995, can't imagine what it's like now. It was a fun place though.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

surely it is what you make it.

if you come here expecting verything to be cheap, rambling great houses a cocks stride from the CBD for a couple of $'s then you're an idiot.

if you dont or havent done any research before you get here you could be in for a shock
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:04 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Nah...the Espy is great. No pretentions, no trying to live up to a hugely inflated price list, just great atmosphere & a brill place where you don't have to put on any airs & graces to go & have a really good meal.

If you want to call it a sh*thole, that's your call, doesn't stop it being loved by many though
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It was a shithole when I went there in 1995, can't imagine what it's like now. It was a fun place though.
Yeah, it was a shithole then and it's still a shithole. You can still find the dirty slappers there. Not a place I'd be taking kids to.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Observations from last week in the UK:
UK bookshops are great (although many are now closing) but unless you can get books on special or on sale then The Book Depository/Amazon etc are cheaper.
Eating out in the UK can be cheap but I have doubts about the quality of cheap meals (2 meals for GBP5 etc). I had a curry in a Wetherspoon pub that you could tell had just been heated in a microwave and the chicken had no taste - it was disgusting. Same for a Pizza in a restaurant in London. On the other hand we had great meals in a Nepalese restaurant in Oxted and a pub in Berkshire.
I found customer service, in general, to be average at best.
Service in restaurants was mainly shite.
I absolutely agree with that. I spent 5 weeks in UK June/July. Countryside is awesome, buildings beautiful and I shopped till I dropped as the choice in the shops is far superior to Perth. However, I found people miserable, it was way too busy, way too dirty, customer service crap, restaurants (apart from the Pheasant at Keyston!) absolutely dire and expensive. IMO of course.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I absolutely agree with that. I spent 5 weeks in UK June/July. Countryside is awesome, buildings beautiful and I shopped till I dropped as the choice in the shops is far superior to Perth. However, I found people miserable, it was way too busy, way too dirty, customer service crap, restaurants (apart from the Pheasant at Keyston!) absolutely dire and expensive. IMO of course.
You have a new head.... bought it in the UK?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

$6 of chips still costs the same as $6 of chips cost 6 years ago.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You have a new head.... bought it in the UK?
Not a bad head if I don't say so myself
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Nah...the Espy is great. No pretentions, no trying to live up to a hugely inflated price list, just great atmosphere & a brill place where you don't have to put on any airs & graces to go & have a really good meal.

If you want to call it a sh*thole, that's your call, doesn't stop it being loved by many though
Totally agree, a lot of Melbourne pubs have the same kind of Vibe, especially around the Inner North. My Kids wouldn't know any different to them that is what a Pub is like. No pretensions, It sums up a hell of a lot of Melbourne "real living".

Loads of pubs like this..... Edinburgh Castle Best place I know for eating "Roo" Well worth a Visit.

http://www.melbournepubs.com/venue/247/
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Brightonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gmralston
I don't think used cars are a similar price, they are way more expensive in oz and £14.90 for your leg of Lamb is more like $25AUD.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed used are car prices here are expensive compared to the U.K.
More Expensive.
Clothes.
Food.
Mobile phone bills.
Kids education.
Rental.
Cheaper
Petrol.
Public transport.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Experience so far -

Fresh food (meat, fish, veg, fruit) is of a significantly higher standard generally and same price or cheaper. When I compare what I pay in markets here versus Waitrose back home (not as many markets in UK), its a lot cheaper in Aus. I know this is not like for like, but I would not visit markets in the UK because its generally too much hassle; in Melb, they're a lot more accessible.

Packaged food is more expensive, but thats simple economics - Aus is 1/3 size of UK in population terms so not the same economies of scale or buying power.

Wine - great value obviously. Drinking in pubs expensive.

Used cars - I found to be mixed here, Asian cars are good value, European seem expensive. Car insurance pretty cheap.

Rental places are cheaper, at least in terms of value for money. Very difficult to make like-for-like comparison. We pay $2600 for a great place in a good suburb of Melb; we paid GBP1600 for a pretty mediocre place in nice area of Surrey.

Mobile phones much more expensive. Small market issue again :-)

White goods and electronics have really surprised me. We have got some great deals.

Just my experiences so far.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brightonian
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed used are car prices here are expensive compared to the U.K.
More Expensive.
Clothes.
Food.
Mobile phone bills.
Kids education.
Rental.
Cheaper
Petrol.
Public transport.
If you look around you may find that fresh food is actually cheaper.

Cars do not appear to depreciate as much here. That is Good news for new car buyers, but bad news for people who only buy used cars.

Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Brightonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Davesax
Much cheaper to eat out in Aus . We used to regularly dine at Indian / Chinese ( family of 4 ) for around 50 bucks .

Horses for courses , swings and roundabouts etc can't believe this thread is still running . One word - Lifestyle
If it so much cheaper to it out and I agree it probably is, then why is food so much more expensive in the supermarkets ?.

Lets get Walmart (ASDA) here and give Woolworths & Coles something to think about. Woolworths the fresh food people they should be charged under the Trade Description Act.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.