Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by Davesax
No worries i'm hearing you . I wouldn't say it's ever been cheap.

Mark - is it that obvious?
Sorry to hear it Dave what reasons. We are thinkin of returning, reasons really financial and education.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:17 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

No worries i'm hearing you . I wouldn't say it's ever been cheap.

Mark - is it that obvious?
I understand you can't wait to get back and reading your posts I can't say I blame you but don't let your excitement spoil the reality cos you'll be dissapointed.

Good luck with the move mate
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:27 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Australian houses are spacial and not 'on top' of each other like their UK equivalent. The Australian dream is a 1/4 acre lot (1012m sq.), and you could build 4 houses on that!

Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Australian houses are spacial and not 'on top' of each other like their UK equivalent. The Australian dream is a 1/4 acre lot (1012m sq.), and you could build 4 houses on that!

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/7710/newhouses.jpg
And the Houses sizes themselves are also very different...

From a UK report in 2009:

Average size of new houses:
206 sqm Australia
137 sqm Denmark
113 sqm France
97 sqm Spain
88 sqm Ireland
76 sqm UK

Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:37 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I dip the hook and see what I can catch.

(where's the link?)

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 25th 2010 at 10:42 am.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I'm comparing it to living in Australia the same time last year and over previous years in Aus. The honeymoon is over. This is the reality of living here now. We have a great life but don't fool yourself and others into thinking it's cheap to live here. It aint.
Here here I say
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
and I've not been impressed with the customer care here yet.
Just got back from Europe this morning. I found customer care in the UK to be mediocre at best. Service in restaurants was shite.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I understand you can't wait to get back and reading your posts I can't say I blame you but don't let your excitement spoil the reality cos you'll be dissapointed.

Good luck with the move mate
Thanks , not quite sure what you mean but thanks for the well wishes.

Mark - good luck to you too . Take a trip back to the UK if you can before you make any decisions - it's a different place mate . have you been to Perth?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:13 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks , not quite sure what you mean but thanks for the well wishes.
I read your posts on other threads where you went back to UK and found you wanted to come back.

I understand your logic, is what I meant mate
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
He got worse a few days later when we arrived in the UK. Had 2 GP visits there, which cost nothing. Ended up with 4 prescriptions, which cost nothing.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/79...-services.html

Get it while you can because I think the days of 'everything free for everyone on the NHS' are coming to an end. I reckon hospitalisation will remain free but everything else will require some kind of payment from the user.

UK can no longer afford the NHS in it's current form.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:56 pm
Pie Eater

"Elsewhere, new restrictions have been introduced to limit funding of IVF.
While many infertile couples living in Yorkshire had previously been allowed two cycles of treatment — still short of national guidance to fund three cycles — all the primary care trusts in the county are now restricting treatment to one cycle per couple."
Perhaps they should push fostering more for those less fortunate.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Another word - Money.

If you don't have a pot to piss in, no amount of sunshine and beaches will help.
Know where you are coming from, looking at it in real terms. No money = misery.

But as a backpacker with a lot of cash but in no hurry to spend it, it was easier to lounge around on Sydney's beaches - bit of a swim, phys etc than say to spend a day lounging around in a cold London where you might need to spend all the time in a public library...

Suppose you really were hard up - and did not have much disposable income.
Some of those beach trips really are free.

As for the cost of living, it has gone up, in some areas -but 50 bucks feeds at least 4 adults for a takeaway we find - sure it's not all you can eat - but then we are svelte - and 50 bucks might be an hour's rate for one person, and 2 for someone else so this one will always run...
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Know where you are coming from, looking at it in real terms. No m

But as a backpacker with a lot of cash but in no hurry to spend it, it was easier to lounge around on Sydney's beaches - bit of a swim, phys etc than say to spend a day lounging around in a cold London where you might need to spend all the time in a public library...

Suppose you really were hard up - and did not have much disposable income.
Some of those beach trips really are free.

As for the cost of living, it has gone up, in some areas -but 50 bucks feeds at least 4 adults for a takeaway we find - sure it's not all you can eat - but then we are svelte - and 50 bucks might be an hour's rate for one person, and 2 for someone else so this one will always run...
I can see how a backpacker, with zero commitment and nothing more important to do than scratch their own backside, can get by without much money. That doesn't really apply to most of us though does it.

Anecdotal evidence from this board seems to be suggesting that people are finding it tougher to make ends meet... and that's people earning good money as well.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:03 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I can see how a backpacker, with zero commitment and nothing more important to do than scratch their own backside, can get by without much money. That doesn't really apply to most of us though does it.

Anecdotal evidence from this board seems to be suggesting that people are finding it tougher to make ends meet... and that's people earning good money as well.
For what I've read, there are many people earning $150k+, so I think they'll survive.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:31 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Much cheaper to eat out in Aus . We used to regularly dine at Indian / Chinese ( family of 4 ) for around 50 bucks .

Horses for courses , swings and roundabouts etc can't believe this thread is still running . One word - Lifestyle
look in $100-130 for that these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.