Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really a better place for children to grow up?

Is Australia really a better place for children to grow up?

Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia really a better place for children to grow up?

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'll see your Hunstanton and raise you a Wells-next-the-sea. God, the shitty holidays we had there when I was a kid, wind howling in off the north sea, Peter Powell stunt kite in orbit ...

My sister sent me a picture she found of us when we were kids, we were building sandcastles on Blackpool beach. OMG - it looked absolutely filthy! It used to be quite warm though, I think it got to about 70 degrees when I was a kid
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
... three weeks ago they were snorkelling on coral reefs. I read my boy's journal the day we swam with whale sharks, it read - "today was the best day of my life..."
That is so cute.

But you shouldn't really snoop through other people's diaries, you know.

(Bet you wont want to in ten years' time...)
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by northernbird
We have just returned from Coral Bay and we took my 4 year old snorkelling for the first time. She had a life vest on and was holding my hand. As soon as we swam into the reef she popped her head out of the water, spat out her snorkel and said 'Mum its beautiful' We went to a fave snorkelling place a few km north of Coral Bay and she got to see a Nemo fish and she was crying she was so excited. Beats Hunstanton any day
Thats so bewdaful, it made me cry, what a lovely experience for your daughter something my children never got to do and i am saddened they didn't, in their childhood in the North West I vividly remember taking my children to primary school one morning and as we passed the chemist there were two smack heads waiting for their meths, I was asked "whats wrong with them and what are they doing mummy?" thats the experiences my kids grew up with
thats why we`re moving, even though their teenagers now. we would dearly love more kids but not here.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
That is so cute.

But you shouldn't really snoop through other people's diaries, you know.

(Bet you wont want to in ten years' time...)
It's not his diary, it's a journal we asked him to keep, for educational purposes.

But I know what your saying.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

My kids too. They're always out and about doing stuff here - one of the reasons I would like to move is (I would think) better weather, which will enable them to be out and about even more.

The area we live in is considered to be a bit 'dodgy' - but everyone knows each other and the village grapevine is very efficient - it's rare that something happens and people don't eventually find out who did it.

Awful things can and do happen, but I don't want my children to live in fear - rather I try to make them aware of the dangers, e.g. not to go in the woods by themselves, instead make sure there's a few of them and that they're not separated. I do prefer them to be in after dark mind.

Originally Posted by lelchelle
This subject really gets my goat!! I,m sure australia has lots of positives for bringing up Kids ...Sunshine,beaches and various sports ....but then so does the UK ( o.k maybe not sun shine all year round ,but we do get Spring and summer!!!)
My 7 yr son gets home from school at 3.30 and is outside playing football , on his bike,or good old hide and seek with all the other kids on our estate till gone six, then its dinner, homework , bath, and bed. He plays for a local football team on a saturday and does training twice a week.
Just because he lives in the UK does not mean that he sits around all day after school watching telly or playing his playstation ,to scared to go outside in case he gets abducted,or squashed by a joy riding Chav. He does the same things that i done when i was young and will continue to do so.
I do think that it does come down to which area you choose to live in,in the Uk and Australia ...not the country !!
Michelle
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

I think some of you have grown paranoid with age. There's nothing to be frightened of, anywhere.

The real problems in life are unexpected and certainly unpredictable.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RichP
I think some of you have grown paranoid with age. There's nothing to be frightened of, anywhere.
Oi! You! Don't be cheeky!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichP
I think some of you have grown paranoid with age.
Maybe. Or maybe some of us have been kicking around planet earth for a few years longer than you and have seen more to be concerned about ...
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:54 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most important thing you can do for kids is spend time with them and find out what's happening in their life. It's so true that people think these yobbish, chavs are other people's kids and not there own.
I live in West Dorset, an area of low crime. My 14 yr old nephew has just been the subject of a hate campaign by local kids on the bebo website. He kissed a girl, her boyfriend found out, she blamed it all on my nephew. So far a normal teenage event.
The boy threatened my nephew on bebo and got a petition set up threatening to kill him. He was terrified. My SIL contacted the school and the police and it was sorted out. The mother of the girl involved came to see my SIL and apologise. She was absoulutely horrified that her 13 year old daughter was involved in this and is now known to local police. She had no idea that her daughter even posted on Bebo and when she saw the things on the site that her daughter had put on there (united in life, reunited in death. I love my knife etc) she couldn't believe it.
All you people who are supposedly leaving to get away from crime
Do you know what your teenagers are up to?

Last edited by Kapri; Apr 28th 2007 at 8:55 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kapri
I think the most important thing you can do for kids is spend time with them and find out what's happening in their life. It's so true that people think these yobbish, chavs are other people's kids and not there own.
I live in West Dorset, an area of low crime. My 14 yr old nephew has just been the subject of a hate campaign by local kids on the bebo website. He kissed a girl, her boyfriend found out, she blamed it all on my nephew. So far a normal teenage event.
The boy threatened my nephew on bebo and got a petition set up threatening to kill him. He was terrified. My SIL contacted the school and the police and it was sorted out. The mother of the girl involved came to see my SIL and apologise. She was absoulutely horrified that her 13 year old daughter was involved in this and is now known to local police. She had no idea that her daughter even posted on Bebo and when she saw the things on the site that her daughter had put on there (united in life, reunited in death. I love my knife etc) she couldn't believe it.
All you people who are supposedly leaving to get away from crime
Do you know what your teenagers are up to?
the poor lad

arhh the Bebo!! what a fab site!!! not, I hacked my daughters (16) account , I know, I know, snoops don`t find out good things blahh blahh. but I was shocked, and im broad minded and was a teen support worker in a homeless hostels for 3 years!!! changed all the wording and she looks like a little princess now Bless her
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

You hacked your daughters account? Damn man.

Talk to your kids, if they want to tell you something you will. The worst thing you can do is shut them out. My father and I have a dysfunctional relationship, which has improved with age, but hell, growing up without a man to talk to really caused some problems.

Also with violence problems, they need to learn how to deal with it themselves, i.e contacting the school, police, never works in the victims favour. Sad but true.

I hope your nephew sorts things out. I really cant stand bullies. Best of luck to the kid.