Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia migration...DIY or agent what did you do??

Australia migration...DIY or agent what did you do??

Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia migration...DIY or agent what did you do??

Check out the DIMIA website and work out if you have enough points. We had 120 points and applied for skilled migration visa (i am a midwife) and the only problem I had was finding all the paperwork and getting the photocopies certified. I then downloaded the forms from the DIMIA website, filled it in, sent off the relevant paperwork, and finally got visas in March 2004. The hardest aspect was getting my skills assessment from the Australian Nursing Board, don't know if teachers need an equivalent. This important document needed to be sent to the DIMIA to prove my skills were needed.

Anyway at the time it seemed never ending but now having gone through the house selling nightmare, it seems a doddle. As the emigration process costs so much, DIMIA charges, medicals, solicitors certifying documents etc. I think if you are confident you meet the points, then do it yourself. If I can manage it, then I think anyone with half a brain can do it!

Good Luck

Mel
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:07 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Becca. However, expressing my opinion isn't the same thing as setting out the facts of a client's case, where of course client confidentiality is paramount.

As to whether an agent should or shouldn't be used, my view (and yes, I can be accused of having a vested interest, but I am trying to be altruistic here) is that people are planning a life changing move to Australia. The law in respect of migration and skills assessments is complex, and many are experts with the benefit of hindsight. If you want to move to Australia you want your application to go through first time in as short a period as possible, and yes, these Forums are super at providing help and support. However, they are no substitute for proper professional advice, which comes at a price.

Candidly, some will get the paperwork right - and that's super. They have saved maybe £1,000 or perhaps more. But for a life changing decision that will typically involve spending many thousands of pounds I personally don't see merit in saving a fraction of the total spend.

Kind regards.

Originally Posted by Beccalass
Alan,

this is a publc forum - of course you have the right to express your opinion. You seem to have a strong and supporting following at this forum, and other posts praise GM. When we researched agents we felt that GM were down to earth, realistic and approachable which is why we went with you in the first place.

However, with hindsight (such a wonderful thing) I would have opted for DIY which is what I'd recommend on a straightforward case.

Regards

Becca
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:24 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
We did it ourselves and are now heading to Brisbane in a month. There's nothing technically difficult about doing it yourself but you will need:

- time
- patience
- an eye for detail
- a relatively straightforward case

If you don't have the above then I'd advise you to go for an agent as they'll save you a lot of time and possibly money. You only have to read these forums to see how often people are confused and tripped up by the arcane rules. A good place to start for agents would be Alan Collett and George Lombard who regularly contribute on these forums and receive positive feedback on their services.

Good luck

GLR

Wise words indeed. Also, if you (the OP) decided not to use an agent, my 'wise words' to you would be that any advice given on this forum should usually be treated with a "pinch of salt".