Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AUSTRALIA,,,love it or leave it

AUSTRALIA,,,love it or leave it

Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default AUSTRALIA,,,love it or leave it

the title of my thread was a bumper sticker that i saw on a ute the other day,
i feel this is so true as not everyone does love australia,myself included,people look for different things in life and what's good for one doesn't necessary mean it'll be good for others,if someone posts some derrogative post about australia it doesn't mean they're wrong just as someone is not wrong to post a glowing report.
i had a wonderful life in scotland and with some hindsight{a great thing} i should never have left,not least for the money i've squandered coming to australia,i had the opportunity to move to australia thinking it would improve me and my family's live's,it did'nt work out for us and we will happily return to the uk.
because i have a lot of negatives about australia doesn't mean i'm wrong.
i've had a lot of good experiences,wildlife,sunshine,but will be glad to get back to the uk with all its problems and shit weather.

rant over...........
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: AUSTRALIA,,,love it or leave it

Originally Posted by fitz
i feel this is so true as not everyone does love australia,myself included,people look for different things in life and what's good for one doesn't necessary mean it'll be good for others,if someone posts some derrogative post about australia it doesn't mean they're wrong just as someone is not wrong to post a glowing report.
i had a wonderful life in scotland and with some hindsight{a great thing} i should never have left,not least for the money i've squandered coming to australia,i had the opportunity to move to australia thinking it would improve me and my family's live's,it did'nt work out for us and we will happily return to the uk.
i've had a lot of good experiences,wildlife,sunshine,but will be glad to get back to the uk with all its problems and shit weather.

rant over...........
Love it!!!

I admire your honesty. Good luck when you return to UK. Like you say, the weather isn't everything. Infact it's nothing really.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't sound like a rant to me. More like a level headed report on what you want from life. Good luck with wherever you end up. Oh and with regard to the bumper sticker - unfortunately for a lot of people, it's not that straightforward. That it is for you is excellent.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:43 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

neither dont love it dont want to leave it i just like it prefer home but it could be worse.

So I like it!!

Last edited by kez81; Aug 7th 2007 at 5:45 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:46 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

but will be glad to get back to the uk with all its problems and shit weather.

rant over...........
The experience has been worthwhile then... from the aspect that you will now appreciate what you took for granted before you left.

Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:46 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

rant over...........
Talking of bumper stickers on 'utes ... my favourites so far:

"**** Off, We're Full" - Over a map of Oz
"Develop The Spit" - A nice antidote to all the 'Save Our Spit' stickers
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

"Develop The Spit" - A nice antidote to all the 'Save Our Spit' stickers
Something needs doing to the Spit Why anyone would want it left as it is boggles my brain - when I bother thinking about it of course.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:07 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

rant over...........

Excellent post, and no, having negative things to say about Australia doesnt make you wrong because it is YOUR experience of it.
I have a real mixed bag of emotions over it. We went to the boat show at Darling Harbour today. Caught the ferry from Circular Quay. As usual it was stunning, and when i leave here for good on Friday, it will be one of my fondest memories as i adore the harbour. But things like this do not make your life happy.
I dont like Australian attitudes to a lot of things. I am entitled to that just the same as living in a muslim state wouldnt suit most of us either.

I find suburbia here very ugly, with either Mcmansion substandard new builds on postage stamp lots, or 50's and 60's drab and unnattractive dumps with very few redeeming features about them. I admit the gorgeous old fashioned terraced homes can look stunning but more often than not they are ruined by inappropriate renovations or a complete lack of sympathy to the original features. I dont feel i am wrong on this either. Thats just how i feel about it.

I also find them quite an uncaring nation when it gets down to the nitty gritty. They hype themselves up as being all great and wonderful yadda yadda yadda, portraying Aussies as being somehow kinder, more generous, more brave, and more anything over every other nation, but often they are very insular, self absorbed and extremely ungracious to others . Once again, my opinion. I'm entitled to it. Dont much care if others feel different, good on them, but thats MY experience once again. These are generalisations, i accept that. I have several good Aussie friends. Half would fall into the above category and the rest wouldnt, but i feel overall thats how they can be.

Theres lots more i could waffle on about but not much point really. Most in this forum would automatically reject it and denegrate what i have said because it does not fit in with their dream of Australia or indeed, their experience of it. We are all different and have different lives and it is THAT which moulds our opinions on any given situation.
I wish you well Fitz, and also those who love it here. Hope you all find what you are looking for. Me? I'm off home and cant bloody wait!!!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
The experience has been worthwhile then... from the aspect that you will now appreciate what you took for granted before you left.

it has been an experience,whether it's been worthwhile,only time will tell.
i appreciated life in the uk and did not take it for granted but felt that maybe,just maybe, life in australia would be better,surely i can't be blamed for thinking this when all you see on uk tv is how great life in australia is,
i've been to australia on holiday many times but living there and holidaying
there are two completely different things,,,,,, as i have learned.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

If you think Aus is full!!!

Wait till you get back to UK..... then you will know what full is.

All I see now when I hear and meet expats on their way back is negativity.

I feel this is through homesickness, and a rejection of the country they failed to endorse and absorb. It shouldnt be the country you are bitter with but yourself.
Take it as an experience and try not to dwell on silly matters such as housing and personal jibes you may have taken from an "aussie" or who ever.

I have reverse rejection, where I cant stand the UK, and am so bitter I threw my life away in AUS, it was perfect, I had put down roots but for some reason lost the plot and come back like some fkin mard ass baby, and thats putting it mildly..... I dont and wont forgive myself for what I did, I dont blame anyone else (although I did at the time and do sometimes).

It has also cost me financially , a hell of a lot of money, so make sure you do what ever you do for the right reasons, and not some petty excuses like we keep seeing.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Oh sorry/

I didnt realise, your from Scotland , not the UK.

Apologies....
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:30 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

it has been an experience,whether it's been worthwhile,only time will tell.
i appreciated life in the uk and did not take it for granted but felt that maybe,just maybe, life in australia would be better,surely i can't be blamed for thinking this when all you see on uk tv is how great life in australia is,
i've been to australia on holiday many times but living there and holidaying
there are two completely different things,,,,,, as i have learned.
Sounds like you've given it a good go to me and that has to admired. Great that you can admit its just not for you. Good luck when you return to the UK C x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:34 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
If you think Aus is full!!!

Wait till you get back to UK..... then you will know what full is.

All I see now when I hear and meet expats on their way back is negativity.

I feel this is through homesickness, and a rejection of the country they failed to endorse and absorb. It shouldnt be the country you are bitter with but yourself.
Take it as an experience and try not to dwell on silly matters such as housing and personal jibes you may have taken from an "aussie" or who ever.

I have reverse rejection, where I cant stand the UK, and am so bitter I threw my life away in AUS, it was perfect, I had put down roots but for some reason lost the plot and come back like some fkin mard ass baby, and thats putting it mildly..... I dont and wont forgive myself for what I did, I dont blame anyone else (although I did at the time and do sometimes).

It has also cost me financially , a hell of a lot of money, so make sure you do what ever you do for the right reasons, and not some petty excuses like we keep seeing.
Why should anyone see it as some kind of fault within themselves because a place they went to doesnt suit them? If you are not happy with a certain culture no matter where it is, why should you see it as YOUR fault? All it means is you had the balls to try it and found you didnt like it. Doesnt make the person at fault.
As for petty excuses, what is petty to you is not petty to others and that doesnt make you right and them wrong or vice versa.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ok, then if its not a "fault" problem.

What is the root cause, there must be a real reason.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

Think that needs be printing over a map of the UK instead !!!

Myself (grew up here, born in the UK - dual nationality), husband & 4 yo arrived a few months back. It took me years of persuasion with my OH, born & bred in his hometown, said many a time he would NEVER leave. But, he decided to give it a go - for me, & for our son. That is all I ever asked of him, just to give it a chance, for a year or 2 at least to see if he liked it - guess what, he has settled better than me !!! Anyway, what I am trying to say is that as long as people give it their best shot / give it a go, IMO that's better than looking back in years to come regretting & wondering 'what if'. Does that make sense ??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.