Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia to limit or stop issuing PR Visas?

Australia to limit or stop issuing PR Visas?

Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice
Default Australia to limit or stop issuing PR Visas?

Most likely BS, but have any of you heard rumors of DIMIA slowing down the number of Visas to be issued as a result of the economic downturn there? I read a letter on the Metro today (yes, I know not the most high brow or trustable of newspapers) to that effect, saying they'd stop issuing visas in Jan 09. Just wanted to confirm it's only a rumor
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice
Default Re: Australia to limit or stop issuing PR Visas?

Originally Posted by scrudu
Most likely BS, but have any of you heard rumors of DIMIA slowing down the number of Visas to be issued as a result of the economic downturn there? I read a letter on the Metro today (yes, I know not the most high brow or trustable of newspapers) to that effect, saying they'd stop issuing visas in Jan 09. Just wanted to confirm it's only a rumor
I hope and pray it is a rumour
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

If its true then I want a refund of my visa app and I'll be off to Canada with my AUD$20million (i wish).
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Itsa a rumour thats been posted several times in the last few weeks.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Itsa a rumour thats been posted several times in the last few weeks.
Worrying though.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A rumour regarding January 2009. But you can be almost sure that if the recession persists and unemployment increases, skilled migration will be cut back during 2009 or 2010.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:46 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Theres alot of discusssion on 457s right at the moment going first, PRs will follow thereafter i expect
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark213
Theres alot of discusssion on 457s right at the moment going first, PRs will follow thereafter i expect
Any change will be work specific...if you are in Healthcare etc...it will be fine Global shortage not just Australian...but as the commodoties sector etc...slows down a number of trades etc will be taken off the wanted list..the OZ immigration system is designed to turn the tap on or off as need dictates....interestingly the UK have just modelled their new system on it. So yes there will be changes...thats inevitable.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Any change that is going to come is a welcome step. Moreover noyhing is going to be done with a retrospective date, be sure. Even if one is in process, he/she needs to hurry
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

grantvt is on a distinguished road

I have been watching and worrying about this since the economic crisis started all the way back with the collapse of lehman brothers.

I have read that Australia is in a good position and may avoid a recession but at the end of the day they may well decrease the number of visas but I'm not sure if anyone will know until it actual happens.

Skilled visas were increase by 31 000 last year so there was clearly a skills shortage of some sort that may now be affected by the crisis.
A comforting factor is that major industries in Australia have warned that cutting the number of visas is not a good idea in terms of the Australian economy.

If they decease the numbers and you have applied I assume (I hope) you may still get your visa but it will just take longer.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grantvt
I have been watching and worrying about this since the economic crisis started all the way back with the collapse of lehman brothers.

I have read that Australia is in a good position and may avoid a recession but at the end of the day they may well decrease the number of visas but I'm not sure if anyone will know until it actual happens.

Skilled visas were increase by 31 000 last year so there was clearly a skills shortage of some sort that may now be affected by the crisis.
A comforting factor is that major industries in Australia have warned that cutting the number of visas is not a good idea in terms of the Australian economy.

If they decease the numbers and you have applied I assume (I hope) you may still get your visa but it will just take longer.
As long as anyone with a visa app in at the moment still gets processed fairly this should be OK.

Would be a bit unfair to come Jan and then say "OK we're not issuing anymore PR visas for now". Everyone who's already started would be up **** creek with all the money invested etc and properties sold ready. I for one would be fuming. Think I may start seriously looking at Canada as an alternative just in case it all goes pear shaped.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
As long as anyone with a visa app in at the moment still gets processed fairly this should be OK.

Would be a bit unfair to come Jan and then say "OK we're not issuing anymore PR visas for now". Everyone who's already started would be up **** creek with all the money invested etc and properties sold ready. I for one would be fuming. Think I may start seriously looking at Canada as an alternative just in case it all goes pear shaped.
That's precisely why DIAC tell people NOT to sell property or quit jobs, etc. until a visa is granted. Just take a look at the $100,000 investment scheme and how that affected the people who applied prior to that being removed.

If you think Canada is any easier to get into I think you're in for a surprise. PR in Canada now is taking ~3 years. Take a quick read of the Canadian immigration section of this site for more info. Besides, Canada is a very different place to Australia, so if it's the Australian lifestyle you're looking for, again, I think you'll be in for a surprise.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's precisely why DIAC tell people NOT to sell property or quit jobs, etc. until a visa is granted. Just take a look at the $100,000 investment scheme and how that affected the people who applied prior to that being removed.

If you think Canada is any easier to get into I think you're in for a surprise. PR in Canada now is taking ~3 years. Take a quick read of the Canadian immigration section of this site for more info. Besides, Canada is a very different place to Australia, so if it's the Australian lifestyle you're looking for, again, I think you'll be in for a surprise.
No not what I meant at all.

What i meant by this was, we are emigrating anyway so sold our house earlier this year before it bombed on the market (we would be in serious neg eq now else). I have been trying to get into the USA for 10 years without luck so we decided on Oz as my skills were in demand. If Oz doesn't work out anyway through the visa not coming through, fair enough. We have already researched Canada anyway so if Oz didn't work out we would go that way instead on a Working Holiday with Bunac and then search for work etc, go temp work visa if we can find a job and go from there.

We want a change in lifestyle/culture/climate so either is fine.

What I meant by the post was, it would be a bit unfair on people if DIAC decided to not grant any more visas when people have already forked out the visa fees / IELTS / meds / pccs and like me put jobs in jeopardy asking for references for the visa app, only to yank it all away like this. Hope it doesn't come to this but if it does I won't be happy. Would be in the same position as we are now anyway as we haven't made any special changes JUST for Oz. We are making changes for whatever happens.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:38 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AndyR
What I meant by the post was, it would be a bit unfair on people if DIAC decided to not grant any more visas when people have already forked out the visa fees / IELTS / meds / pccs and like me put jobs in jeopardy asking for references for the visa app, only to yank it all away like this. Hope it doesn't come to this but if it does I won't be happy. Would be in the same position as we are now anyway as we haven't made any special changes JUST for Oz. We are making changes for whatever happens.
Most of the criteria that are applied to a visa application are checked at the time of application. According to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-in-demand.htm:

The MODL is reviewed twice a year to take into consideration existing and emerging skills shortages. This does not mean the list is changed twice a year. Changes only occur if there has been a significant change in labour market trends.

As the MODL may change from time to time, you are advised to check the current MODL at the time you are lodging your visa application.

If your nominated occupation is on MODL either at the time your application is lodged or assessed, you will be eligible for 'occupation in demand/job offer' points on the General Skilled Migration points test.
So if the MODL is changed in response to economic circumstances, it would affect those who have not yet applied, but not those whose applications were already in progress.

If they restrict the number of visas they're granting, or change any priority that they apply to different applications... well, that's the way it works now; it's not possible to predict how long an application will take to be processed.

Cheers
b

Last edited by benlast; Dec 12th 2008 at 12:41 am. Reason: (added note about processing time)
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benlast
Most of the criteria that are applied to a visa application are checked at the time of application. According to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-in-demand.htm:

So if the MODL is changed in response to economic circumstances, it would affect those who have not yet applied, but not those whose applications were already in progress.

If they restrict the number of visas they're granting, or change any priority that they apply to different applications... well, that's the way it works now; it's not possible to predict how long an application will take to be processed.

Cheers
b
Absolutely agree with you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.