Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia, the land of Bertie Smalls?

Australia, the land of Bertie Smalls?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:47 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia, the land of Bertie Smalls?

A bunch of sneaky Berties I'm finding out ...

I drive a sign written vehicle and I've NEVER had so many people phone my office to complain about driving. Ok, now this isn't normal driving, this is when there's a confrontation with another vehicle, and when they come out worse, they get on the phone to my boss ...

I've just had yet another. Pull out of petrol station into left lane of a 2 lane road. Now I know that 100 metres or so up the road the lanes merge so I put me foot down a bit as there's another vehicle coming along in the right lane. Sit back and let me merge? .... naaaah, put his foot down and try to get past me ... ... so I put me foot down, indicate right and slip into the single lane. Now as ole mate was toeing in along he had to brake, and in turn out comes the phone ...lol

Over 20 years professional driving in London and NEVER had this before, but here, it appears to be the done thing ...

Never known a place like it!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Australia, the land of Bertie Smalls?

Yes you're right - they NEVER give way over here. That's why there are so many accidents - crazy just thinking the whole road belongs to them.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Australia, the land of Bertie Smalls?

Originally Posted by nailbite
Yes you're right - they NEVER give way over here. That's why there are so many accidents - crazy just thinking the whole road belongs to them.
Oh I know they're pretty much hopeless at driving. I keep saying I'm gonna put a sign across the back of me car saying "Keep left unless overtaking ... obviously rocket science!!" ... and probably will, but it's just the way people seem to get on the phone to your boss like a little sneaky shit!

Sorry, just pissed off. In the UK I too drove many vehicles with company name on and NEVER had ONE quiet word with any bosses about my driving, and believe me there was heaps of incidents, yet 4 years here and so far 3 calls to me boss! ...

Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Oh I know they're pretty much hopeless at driving. I keep saying I'm gonna put a sign across the back of me car saying "Keep left unless overtaking ... obviously rocket science!!" ... and probably will, but it's just the way people seem to get on the phone to your boss like a little sneaky shit!

Sorry, just pissed off. In the UK I too drove many vehicles with company name on and NEVER had ONE quiet word with any bosses about my driving, and believe me there was heaps of incidents, yet 4 years here and so far 3 calls to me boss! ...

I don't like the tone of your email....who'd you say you work for again?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01
I don't like the tone of your email....who'd you say you work for again?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:02 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

I may as well fess up my con trick in the UK.

I rented a premium rate telephone number (0905...) Popped a little sticker on the back of my fleet of white vans which said "Hows my driving phone 0905...) As most of my drivers were youngish lads in white vans they tend to drive pretty quick and aggressive.

Got many calls to that number and made a packet
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by perksy
I may as well fess up my con trick in the UK.

I rented a premium rate telephone number (0905...) Popped a little sticker on the back of my fleet of white vans which said "Hows my driving phone 0905...) As most of my drivers were youngish lads in white vans they tend to drive pretty quick and aggressive.

Got many calls to that number and made a packet
Now LIKE that! ...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

..........believe me there was heaps of incidents, yet 4 years here and so far 3 calls to me boss! ...

Sounds like you need to improve your driving "skills" mate
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:39 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe you're also hopeless at driving?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think they were applying the "give way to the right rule" this rule has been around in Aus for so long an does not always apply but they think it does.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

So if I am reading this right you pulled in front of a car that was in the right hand lane? why not simply let him go past and go behind him, does 1 car length really matter

I see people doing things like that, why would you risk a crash just to get ahead a bit, I say just relax and drive safer
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:08 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Its un-Australian not to dob you in
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by copa
maybe you're also hopeless at driving?
Yeah probably. I mean, 10 years in a back cab and another 10 as a motorbike courier in probaly the busiest town in the world, yeah I guess I got **** all experience! ...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Its un-Australian not to dob you in
As I thought
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No offence but taxi drivers are a p in the bs, when they are cruising for customers they block everyone, stop suddenly, pull out no suddenly Also people with trilby hats or those that have hats on the back window

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.