Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - The Irish connection.

Australia - The Irish connection.

Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia - The Irish connection.

Just reading "Wherever Green is worn"

A book about the Irish Diaspora by Tim Pat Coogan.

there is an interesting quote by Al Grassby (the first Australian commissioner for community relations) who states:

"Australia is the most Irish country outside Ireland with one quarter of all Australians having an Irish connection, just pipping the United states by a half-percent"

Other estimates put the figure as high as 40%.

The concluding quote is that: "the Irish had Australia 'sewn up'"

I knew that a lot of Australians had Irish ancestry...I was not aware it was that many.

You live and learn.

G
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australia - The Irish connection.

Originally Posted by Grayling

there is an interesting quote by Al Grassby (the first Australian commissioner for community relations) who states:

"Australia is the most Irish country outside Ireland with one quarter of all Australians having an Irish connection, just pipping the United states by a half-percent"

I knew that a lot of Australians had Irish ancestry...I was not aware it was that many.

You live and learn.

G
Official figure is 30%, which is hardly surprising when you consider the number of Irish people who were sent over as convicts (50,000 by most estimates) or arrived later as free settlers during the 19th Centyry.

Australia also has the highest Greek population outside Greece; 50% of Greek speakers in Australia were born there.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - The Irish connection.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Australia also has the highest Greek population outside Greece; 50% of Greek speakers in Australia were born there.
Melbourne was once considered the second biggest Greek city in the world.....only Athens had a larger population of Greeks.

G
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

irishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really nice

You live and learn.

G
Excellent book by an excellent author!!!!

I want to be wan of those Irish in Australia if all works out!!!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

irishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really niceirishman is just really nice

Melbourne was once considered the second biggest Greek city in the world.....only Athens had a larger population of Greeks.

G
Is it still not???? i HEARD THAT IS STILL WAS RECENTLY!!!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by irishman
Is it still not???? i HEARD THAT IS STILL WAS RECENTLY!!!
Maybe it still is....I am not sure.

G
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australia - The Irish connection.

G
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

What percentage of Australians have an English connection?

G
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me a walking cliche then - Aussie/English dad and an Irish mum
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Hutch
Makes me a walking cliche then - Aussie/English dad and an Irish mum

My father was Irish and my mother English.

G
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:59 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

My Mum and Dad are Irish.Dad is gone but Mum has moved over to Derry from London.She is making the long trip over here for Easter.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Official figure is 30%, which is hardly surprising when you consider the number of Irish people who were sent over as convicts (50,000 by most estimates) or arrived later as free settlers during the 19th Centyry.

Thought only English (poms) came over on the boats! Shame us Irish were excluded from such an endearing term!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:38 am
Banned

Hippy-Dippy is an unknown quantity at this point

The Irish connection is a bit of a myth-English ancestry is far, far more dominant.
Its an anti-English thing to play up the Irish descent.
Australia isnt all that Irish.
The basis of the myth is that many Irish arrived in the early 19th century-which is correct. however most "Aussies" are in fact descended from English folk who arrived from the late 19th century up until the 50's

Last edited by Hippy-Dippy; Mar 22nd 2007 at 2:17 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hippy-Dippy
The irish connection is a bit of a myth-English ancestry is far, far more dominant.
Its an anti-English thing to play uop the irish descent.
Huh

Anyway, no wonder I feel so at home here....
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Huh
I think the point is that a lot of aussies like to downplay their British connections. Making out that they are descended from the Irish allows them to do that.

Last edited by yanH; Mar 22nd 2007 at 4:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.