Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australia and the heat

Wikiposts

australia and the heat

Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Well that must be totally terrifying on the three days a year it gets over 23 degrees.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:47 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:59 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Meg you just posted mean maximum temps against a maximum!

You are the person pointing out it is basic maths! Apples and Oranges more like with some of your comparisons. And I am not getting into a cut and paste war.

Try the met office

There are various information sites but you have to understand about interpretation of data.

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/...RHJuly6190.gif

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/...eanJul6190.gif

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:08 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sandra
Meg you just posted mean maximum temps against a maximum!

You are the person pointing out it is basic maths! Apples and Oranges more like with some of your comparisons. And I am not getting into a cut and paste war.

Try the met office

There are various information sites but you have to understand about interpretation of data.

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/...RHJuly6190.gif

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/...eanJul6190.gif

Cheers Sandra
Gald to see you have part of what it takes. Here's the other part:

Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:12 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok there's got to be somethig to do with the definition of RELATIVE humidity and ABSOLUTE humidity. The first is about the % of maximum water vapour in the air and the second is about the actual water content of the air in kg/m^3.

Given that I've never stepped outside in the UK and immediately been dripping with sweat suggests that that despite the higher RELATIVE humidity there must be less actual water vapour in the air. Given air holds more water at higher temperatures you could have presumably the same relative humidity of say 60% at 25C or 35C but there would be more water in the air at 35C, i.e. a higher absolute humidity.

Surely given the fact that much of Aus is sub tropical or tropical there must be higher humidity than in UK.

At say 25C in the morning in Oz you can open the front door and need to change your shirt immediately, never had this in Uk.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:15 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Gald to see you have part of what it takes. Here's the other part:

Given these are more like Oz temps, are there relative humidity levels also available?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
Not only is it hot but you also get weevils in the rice, flour etc :scared: lol
Hi, drop in a few dried red hot chilli's into the containers, works for me everytime.
Sarah
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:30 pm
Banned

Originally posted by jayr
Given these are more like Oz temps, are there relative humidity levels also available?
How about finding us a "comfort factor graph" plotted against temp and R.H. Aircon people like them.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Ok there's got to be somethig to do with the definition of RELATIVE humidity and ABSOLUTE humidity. The first is about the % of maximum water vapour in the air and the second is about the actual water content of the air in kg/m^3.

Given that I've never stepped outside in the UK and immediately been dripping with sweat suggests that that despite the higher RELATIVE humidity there must be less actual water vapour in the air. Given air holds more water at higher temperatures you could have presumably the same relative humidity of say 60% at 25C or 35C but there would be more water in the air at 35C, i.e. a higher absolute humidity.

Surely given the fact that much of Aus is sub tropical or tropical there must be higher humidity than in UK.

At say 25C in the morning in Oz you can open the front door and need to change your shirt immediately, never had this in Uk.
It's all about the ambient temperature and how it affects your body in combination with humidty.

When the ambient temperature reaches a certain level your body will begin to heat up. When this happens, your body tries to cool itself down again by sweating. It is not the sweat itself that cools you down, but the evaporation of the sweat.

If the evaporation of the sweat cannot take place, or is too slow, then you won't cool down and you will keep sweating. As the relative humidty increases (ie. the amount of water that the air can hold), less and less evaporation of sweat will occur and you will feel sticky and hot.

So, if it was 10 degrees ambient, 90% humidity and you were wearing too many clothes, then you would start feeling sticky, just as if it was 35 degrees. It's all about where your core body temperature is at.

The effect of humidity actually accelerates as the ambient temperature increases past the level where you start sweating.

I think we need a graph of the "heat index" from UK and Australia.

http://www.bom.gov.au/olympic/HeatIndextable.htm

An ambient temperature of 32 degrees at 100% humidity, feels like 56 degrees! you're body just can't cool itself down. Very dangerous, especially if you are exercising.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cols
It's all about the ambient temperature and how it affects your body in combination with humidty.

When the ambient temperature reaches a certain level your body will begin to heat up. When this happens, your body tries to cool itself down again by sweating. It is not the sweat itself that cools you down, but the evaporation of the sweat.

If the evaporation of the sweat cannot take place, or is too slow, then you won't cool down and you will keep sweating. As the relative humidty increases (ie. the amount of water that the air can hold), less and less evaporation of sweat will occur and you will feel sticky and hot.

So, if it was 10 degrees ambient, 90% humidity and you were wearing too many clothes, then you would start feeling sticky, just as if it was 35 degrees. It's all about where your core body temperature is at.

The effect of humidity actually accelerates as the ambient temperature increases past the level where you start sweating.

An ambient temperature of 32 degrees at 100% humidity, feels like 56 degrees! you're body just can't cool itself down. Very dangerous, especially if you are exercising.
This is also why some people "cope with the heat" better than others. Some people start sweating earllier than others. When the humidty is high this can snowball causing them to be covered in sweat, whilst other people may not have started sweating and may still be dry and comfortable.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about the heat with Pascal a while ago, and realised he thought that you normally have an air con in Perth
No way! I wish! That's only for the rich, from what I've seen! None of my friends in Perth have one!
And even ceiling fans aren't that common I thought.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by cols

Thanks to jayr and cols for sorting this long running argument out.

32 degrees and 90%+ humidity is quite possible and quite common from Nov till April in many parts of OZ. In fact 39 degrees and 89% was recorded just last week.

Although I suspect many already knew the answer to this debate anyway, simply by walking out the door Its great to see it finally laid to rest.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:56 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Simone82
I was talking about the heat with Pascal a while ago, and realised he thought that you normally have an air con in Perth
No way! I wish! That's only for the rich, from what I've seen! None of my friends in Perth have one!
And even ceiling fans aren't that common I thought.

Hi Simone,
I agree with you, not everyone has the luxury of aircon. We never had any airconditioning or fans in any of our houses (apart from a small portable which we had for 2 months one year), and no aircon in our cars either. Yes it got bloody hot, but I managed OK. The kids didnt seem fazed by it either, they never complained about the heat.
Night time is uncomfortable, I agree, but if you are lucky enough to have air con then thats a help surely?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

At say 25C in the morning in Oz you can open the front door and need to change your shirt immediately, never had this in Uk. [/QUOTE]

It is definately the combination of Heat AND Humidity that is uncomfortable. I guess humid cold is 'damp' - plenty of that in England

That said, I wouldn't slug Brissies weather as much as everybody has. It has been brilliant up to xmas. Its got hot/humid/wet since then but should get better in a couple of months.

....not a bad price to pay for nice weather 9+ months a year! The best time of year seams to be the winter where it is as hot as an English summer normally gets but perhaps cooler at night.

The main restriction here is keeping out of the sun. It seams to be at least 4 times as 'blasting' here than the UK.

Overal definately better than the uk weather
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:51 am
Just Joined

ajec is an unknown quantity at this point

I came to Perth from Nottingham 10 years ago - it does get very hot here but you can get by those days with air con etc. On the other hand, I love the way you can rely on dry weather pretty much all summer and it still feels refreshingly cool over the winter. Also, there's nothing better than a warm night at the beach!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.