Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia...the good life...

Australia...the good life...

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Australia...the good life...

After reading Ellens sad post, it made me think on how the bad side of Australia seems to be dominating the board. Yes, before someone jumps down my throat about being a dreamer, i do understand it is valuable to know the bad as well as the good, but its becoming very depressing in here. I think the balance needs to be redressed the other way a bit.

I know someone has asked about the good things in Perth..what about the good things in all parts of Aus...???

Even though NZ is not the place i want to spend the rest of my days, i am so glad i made the break when i did. It has changed my whole perspective on life. I think i was a narrowminded, whinging old pom before. I'm very pleased to have broken free from it!!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Australia...the good life...

Originally posted by podgypossum
After reading Ellens sad post, it made me think on how the bad side of Australia seems to be dominating the board. Yes, before someone jumps down my throat about being a dreamer, i do understand it is valuable to know the bad as well as the good, but its becoming very depressing in here. I think the balance needs to be redressed the other way a bit.

I know someone has asked about the good things in Perth..what about the good things in all parts of Aus...???

Even though NZ is not the place i want to spend the rest of my days, i am so glad i made the break when i did. It has changed my whole perspective on life. I think i was a narrowminded, whinging old pom before. I'm very pleased to have broken free from it!!

I dont think Ellens post was about the "bad side of OZ". wasn't it about the Realistic Post from another Social worker in Perth about the current work situation?

For any person with a family work prospects are very important, finding out you may have a long wait for a job, be sent remote or rural or your 3 year degree is not recognised in the majority of positions would be a bit of a rethink to most of us.

Surely Ellen finding this out from through this forum is not 'Bad', it would have been far harder to find it out when she got here with three kids in tow.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dreaming is great when you are bed. Otherwise realism is best. There are depressing elements to OZ and they need prominence here. Ellen is honest enough to say she is going through the emotions and I hope she finds what is right for her.

The residents are not going to give happy crappy what you want to hear views. We give it as we live it. It may depressing but that is because it is mid week and not weekend. We are not your shrinks.

This weekend is a long weekend and like Britain that means shit weather weekend.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, be fair, leave us to have a little chat about what we are looking forward to. We all know the realistic/pessimistic stuff and we read the posts on it. Lets have a cheerful one for a change!

So a quick list of some of the good bits of Oz that I am looking forward to: (based on my experiences in our corner of Brissie) - some of them are more personal than others!
The wildlife
Walking through our local park without constantly looking over my shoulder
Friendly people
Being greeted with a smile in my local supermarket (sorry Sainsburys but its true)
Not taking my umbrella everywhere
Not worrying whether I can afford the rent this month (we can do it easily from his wages alone, here it takes over half of my income)
Cascade Premium (yawns from everyone who has already heard my beer preferences!)
Late night barbies without rushing indoors away from the rain/dampness
Wearing tshirts without freezing
More relaxed pace of life than I'm used to
Cleaner air
Being with my Bloke at last!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Ummm...where did i ask for a shrink anywhere??....

If you go back and reread what i wrote in the title, i accept and understand that not all is good...but for christ sake, can't we have some friendliness and and positive feedback occassionally???

Everytime anyone tries to make a post or new thread in postive mode, someone HAS to come in and cast doom and gloom!!!

By all means do that. By all means tell us the bad side...i am not complpaining about that....all i am asking that we redress the balance a bit and post some good things...after all..there must be some otherwise you wouldnt be there!!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
Dreaming is great when you are bed. Otherwise realism is best. There are depressing elements to OZ and they need prominence here. Ellen is honest enough to say she is going through the emotions and I hope she finds what is right for her.

The residents are not going to give happy crappy what you want to hear views. We give it as we live it. It may depressing but that is because it is mid week and not weekend. We are not your shrinks.

This weekend is a long weekend and like Britain that means shit weather weekend.
Look I am with Bondi on this. Its a forum for people living here, there must be 101 websites that will tell you the happy crappy tourist bits. The best thing people can do is look in here too and see the real life issues by people discussing living here.

This website does add some balance to the other 101 that spin the bull.

I'll tell anyone, the way I got on in OZ was by looking at the place honestly and then working with that to my advantage. Fluffy thoughts dont pay the bills or feed the kids do they?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:26 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Autumn leaves gathering, threatening to carry away good cheer?

Perhaps a bit, now and then, of Column 8.

Another reason to leave the car at home. Writes Martin Olmos, of Westmead: "On my train commute to Wollongong the other day, kindly announced by our guard, we got to watch a whale having a play in the morning sun near Scarborough. Think about this next time you're crawling your way to work, with the exhaust pipe of the car in front as your only view."
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We don't want the "Happy crappy tourist bits" as you put it. We want the things that people ENJOY about LIVING in Oz. The things we are looking forward to. There are good bits there - just like there are good bits in the UK. We are not telling you to stop posting the negative bits, so don't try and stop us from inviting people to post their positive experiences.
If you don't enjoy anything about the country you are living in, then butt out and go and post somewhere else.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with Bondi and Dotty, if you want fluffy Australia go watch Judith Bloody Chalmers.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:36 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A personal favorite, a wistful dream never to be repleat:

"In rural communities," says John Huxley, of Westleigh, "the measure of a good woman was her ability to carry two buckets of water. What an opportunity water restrictions provide for city men! Not only can they now benchmark their ladies against rural ladies, but, maybe they'll get the car washed."
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough...

if no one wants a balanced view then i will not ask for good things again...

carry on...
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:41 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Fair enough...

if no one wants a balanced view then i will not ask for good things again...

carry on...
As long as everyone is nice about it.....i don't want just the good stuff OR the bad stuff.....i want the real stuff; (the right stuff? where have i heard that before?).
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:42 pm
Banned

Originally posted by karawara88
I am with Bondi and Dotty, if you want fluffy Australia go watch Judith Bloody Chalmers.
Are you an evil root?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

"In rural communities," says John Huxley, of Westleigh, "the measure of a good woman was her ability to carry two buckets of water. What an opportunity water restrictions provide for city men! Not only can they now benchmark their ladies against rural ladies, but, maybe they'll get the car washed."
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you an evil root?
Quite possibly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.