Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia 20 years behind UK - Drink Driving

Australia 20 years behind UK - Drink Driving

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:33 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Australia 20 years behind UK - Drink Driving

This guy was aquitted because, despite having drunk 13 beers there was no "proof" that he was driving dangerously.

I woul'd have thought his blood alcohol level and a dead girl were proof enough, but not here in Perth.

In the UK he would have gone to jail.

Drink-driver acquitted in landmark case

A Perth drink-driver has been found not guilty of causing the death of a 10-year-old girl in a case that led to major changes to Western Australia's criminal laws.

A jury took an hour-and-a-half to acquit 21-year-old Mitchell Walsh-McDonald of dangerous driving causing the death of Jess Meehan.

Miss Meehan was hit by Walsh-McDonald's ute as she tried to ride across Marmion Avenue in Clarkson in August 2003.

Walsh-McDonald was originally only charged with drink-driving but after a public outcry he was charged with dangerous driving causing death.

Miss Meehan's family say they are glad they have been able to have their day in court.

"It's a tragic case and really we just want to put it behind us now."

The case led to the law being changed so that any drink-driver who injures or kills is automatically charged with the more serious offence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1598415.htm
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:48 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia 20 years behind UK - Drink Driving

Your right Renth he would be doing time in the UK.

There is a very lax attitude to DD over here in Australia which has to change and the sooner the better.

Terrible story he has taken one life and ruined the lives of all her family should be rotting in a cell for many years.

Originally Posted by renth
This guy was aquitted because, despite having drunk 13 beers there was no "proof" that he was driving dangerously.

I woul'd have thought his blood alcohol level and a dead girl were proof enough, but not here in Perth.

A Perth drink-driver has been found not guilty of causing the death of a 10-year-old girl in a case that led to major changes to Western Australia's criminal laws.

A jury took an hour-and-a-half to acquit 21-year-old Mitchell Walsh-McDonald of dangerous driving causing the death of Jess Meehan.

Miss Meehan was hit by Walsh-McDonald's ute as she tried to ride across Marmion Avenue in Clarkson in August 2003.

Walsh-McDonald was originally only charged with drink-driving but after a public outcry he was charged with dangerous driving causing death.

Miss Meehan's family say they are glad they have been able to have their day in court.

The case led to the law being changed so that any drink-driver who injures or kills is automatically charged with the more serious offence.

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that on the news and couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

presumably he was convicted of being drunk though? And now that the law is changed, Australia has caught up. Whew that was close.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I saw that last night " what a bloody disgrace " what is wrong with the laws in this country,do they not care about this wee girl being killed and the pain and suffering that her family must be feeling,they must surely feel that justice has let them down.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

In my office, everyone will happily have a few beers and then drive home. I am the odd one who refuses to drink and drive at all. Ofter I hear the old line "it's ok to have a few.

It's seems to be normal/acceptable to take chances with drinking and driving. Which is strange as there seems to be a greater Police anti drinking policy active here. I never once got tested in the UK, over here it seems to happen all the time.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a similar case here, aussie lady in her 50's lost her 23 year old son to a drink driver (third time he was caught), hes still not in jail, lives up the road from her and is was recently caught driving unlicenced.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:20 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dshole
In my office, everyone will happily have a few beers and then drive home. I am the odd one who refuses to drink and drive at all. Ofter I hear the old line "it's ok to have a few.

It's seems to be normal/acceptable to take chances with drinking and driving. Which is strange as there seems to be a greater Police anti drinking policy active here. I never once got tested in the UK, over here it seems to happen all the time.
I've noticed this quite a bit too. It reminds of me of being young, and my parents coming home from parties slightly worse for wear, or worse, my dad driving home from the hockey club after a good few pints with me and my sisters in the car. That attitude would lose you friends in the UK now.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed this too, one mate turned up at a barbie pretty sozzled and we found out he'd been drinking all arvo while driving between jobs. Hubby pointed out that his blood alcohol level would be high, worked out how many units he'd had versus the time frame and it was like he'd never considered it all, although he was fairly good natured about it. Most of us can work out how much we can cope with

Then we have pissed AFL players dodging booze buses
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

What is even worse is when you pull up at the side of someone driving and they are actually 'drinking and driving' with a stubbie held up to their lips
F***ing incredible

Can you imagine that back in the UK
not likely

Sarah
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sasbear
What is even worse is when you pull up at the side of someone driving and they are actually 'drinking and driving' with a stubbie held up to their lips
F***ing incredible

Can you imagine that back in the UK
not likely

Sarah
Yep, and using their IPODS/Walkmans/whatever. What is the deal with that?

Although I have seen a copper drinking a beer in the UK whilst driving.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Yep, and using their IPODS/Walkmans/whatever. What is the deal with that?
Did u not seem the news item a couple of days ago where a girl in Wales was captured on CCTV putting on her full makeup - no hands on wheels for miles!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Did u not seem the news item a couple of days ago where a girl in Wales was captured on CCTV putting on her full makeup - no hands on wheels for miles!

No missed that one!

I don't think that ozzies use their mirror for anything other than checking theri own reflection tho anyhow!

They have no concept of the 2 second rule - out here it is the 2 thousands of a second rule - they seem to nip in where water wouldn't fit - lol
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sasbear
They have no concept of the 2 second rule - out here it is the 2 thousands of a second rule - they seem to nip in where water wouldn't fit - lol
I call it "dog eat dog" and I do not enjoy driving here! Think it goes back to the competitiveness shown on the sports fields.

And I would lock up 95% of P platers!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I call it "dog eat dog" and I do not enjoy driving here! Think it goes back to the competitiveness shown on the sports fields.

And I would lock up 95% of P platers!
Perfectly put, and further still. It goes back to being a ex-colony/frontier nation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.