Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austalians and animals - shocked

Austalians and animals - shocked

Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:14 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Austalians and animals - shocked

Please be careful not to generalise too much - from my experience of living in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and the UK I haven't noticed anything out of the oridinary in Oz.

Yes - the heat factor obviously is more of a concern in places like north Queensland and it IS horrible the way a some people treat animals, but I used to support animal welfare agencys out in Oz when I was there and I feel there are places doing good things. It's logistically going to be harder to police as Australia is ALOT bigger and ALOT less populated than UK for example.

Atrocities such as animal abuse occurs is all countries around the world and it not particular to Australia. I volunteered in an Irish shelter for a bit and the same this go on. I myself took in a stray cat that was obviously a Christmas present that 'grew' up past the kitten stage. You certain don't see as many strays or neglect like you would in places like Egypt or Greece (imo).

All the people who I know with pets in Australia never abuse or neglect there animals. If I ever saw someone doing so I would say something or report them.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Austalians and animals - shocked

Just noticed this thread (how did it slip by ???)

I have done a lot of work now lobbying pollies - and have even had an "Indirect" reply from Mr Rudd I have had many articles published in the papers if you want to read them, I'd post the links, but I won't bore you.

The animal welfare situation here is terrible - basically down to a lack of neutering and therefore overbreeding. And downright cruelty (which you get in the UK I know - I was an Inspector there for 10 years).

In a town the size of Townsville we would have had about 12 Inspectors to cover the thousands of miles - here there is just one Inspector for the same distance. They have no chance. It is probably the same in Hervey Bay - one Inspector for thousands of miles. Our local shelter euthanases at least 30 animals every single day. Brisbane had over 1000 animals dumped at one of four shelters in the month after Christmas.

The RSPCA QLD have a fraction of the resources of the RSPCA UK (I won't go into detail ), and that is why the Inspectorate is so thin on the ground. But they are doing their best, and need our support.

But I am afraid child welfare where i live is not exactly top of the priority list either. Both white and indigenous. :curse:

I have come to the conclusion that you either "live the dream" and ignore what is going on, bury your head in the sand and enjoy life in paradise - or you are sensitive to it, realise what is going on and try and make a difference. I have shouted really really loud, but I know I cannot do any more without treading on too many political toes. But I hope I have made a small difference before I go home.

PM me if you want more details of where I have got to so far, and if you want any advice. I don't want to bore everyone with the details again .... unless you want me to

A xx
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:16 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marvinc
I work in rescue in the UK and it's pretty much the same here, must admit it shocked me on our reccie, dogs on the back of trucks. With regards to pet/working homes it's about education. The live trade and pet shop trade you just need to badger away at the powers that be. Keep up the good work, I'm sure the animal shelter your helping at is very grateful and you'll meet some good friends x
Why does it "shock" you that dogs are on the back of trucks?

Is that any more shocking than Tail Docking on Dobes or Rotties?

I dont think so.

Is it any more shocking than big dogs living in yards no bigger than a skip's shadow?

I dont think so.

Is it any more shocking than going along to Honniley NCDL, taking the dogs a walk in the woods, and 15 greyhouds dead and strangulated around a oak tree?

I very much doubt it.

FFS I aint having a go, but FFS get some bloody perspective.

Australia is a DIFFERENT country. Diff climate, diff way of life, its different !

Ste
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:21 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Allie, I really can sympathise with your views on some things.

Albeit im not 100% with most of what you say, I can relate to your intentions, and the adopted stance you make.

But for crying out loud, do you, or could you please, talk about other things?

I mean last week you were leaving Oz, few months ago, you posted you were now IN Oz

Im losing the will to read some of the stuff you say, and look at it thru my eyes, and try and relate to your angle.

Now bringing Kids into it, ... crikey.

I dont mean to offend or indeed upset, but some of what we see , on here ( inc. my drivel ) is annoying, and so at times we need a quick sharp jab in the ribs to actually, join in with the spirit of the forum.

Soz but Sometimes I dont hold back, and I say it as it whizzes thru my head.

No offence

Ste
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Austalians and animals - shocked

Sorry, just replying to a thread about animal welfare - you knew i'd take the bait ??? and you were waiting for it, weren't you !!!

Don't worry, when I'm home my drivel will me packed up with me

Hopefully not long to go now (sighs of relief all round).

Take care, Timber - look forward to our next drivel spat :thumbsup

A xx

ps I do a good line in weather/swimming pools / cesspits - take your pick ???
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by alliekate

Sorry, just replying to a thread about animal welfare - you knew i'd take the bait ??? and you were waiting for it, weren't you !!!

Don't worry, when I'm home my drivel will me packed up with me

Hopefully not long to go now (sighs of relief all round).

Take care, Timber - look forward to our next drivel spat :thumbsup

A xx

ps I do a good line in weather/swimming pools / cesspits - take your pick ???
On a serious note, I could tell you stuff about animal welfare that would or could make ppl physically sick.
However I choose not to do it on a public forum.

Being involved with Animals for over 20 years, and having been a great supporter of NCDL.

I can tell you, some of the shite that is reported to be going on in OZ< goes on in the UK, and far far worse in some instances.

The ethic isnt to teach ppl about animal cruelty, it is to educate ppl about responsible and long term pet and animal ownership.

Trust me I could sit here for hours posting stuff about animal cruelty in Uk, Spain, Usa, Mexico, Australia.. the point is, theres no such thing as a bad DOG , just a bad OWNER

So concentrate on that, and perhaps you will find as a result and bi product of your great efforts, positive results will prevail.

I for one am not baiting you, but then I dont join the gangs of ppl, on some forums who nod their heads like a pound puppy on the parcel shelf of a 1987 Mini Metro !!

Effective marketing comes from proactive sales.

Not ANTI sales !

Ste
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Why does it "shock" you that dogs are on the back of trucks?

Is that any more shocking than Tail Docking on Dobes or Rotties?

I dont think so.

Is it any more shocking than big dogs living in yards no bigger than a skip's shadow?

I dont think so.

Is it any more shocking than going along to Honniley NCDL, taking the dogs a walk in the woods, and 15 greyhouds dead and strangulated around a oak tree?

I very much doubt it.

FFS I aint having a go, but FFS get some bloody perspective.

Australia is a DIFFERENT country. Diff climate, diff way of life, its different !

Ste
Well since being on this site, I have come to the conclusion that us aussies are racist, child hating, cruel bastards.... think I'll emigrate!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

It's good if people are aware. My friend is a vegetarian and told me about how chickens (not free range) are kept. It's something I never used to think of when buying eggs or chicken, but now, I make a point of only buying free range. It's one of those things that I most probably wouldn't have noticed until somebody enlightened me. I'm no vegetarian but I don't want to support any animal cruelty.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
It's good if people are aware. My friend is a vegetarian and told me about how chickens (not free range) are kept. It's something I never used to think of when buying eggs or chicken, but now, I make a point of only buying free range. It's one of those things that I most probably wouldn't have noticed until somebody enlightened me. I'm no vegetarian but I don't want to support any animal cruelty.
I was going to invest some money into a 'free range' chicken farm and pulled out of the deal after I saw what 'free range' was first hand. It certainly isn't what people think. They aren't fluffy white chickens roaming around a paddock, they are packed into pens (can't remember the amount of chickens allowed per sq metre) if the pen has a roof they are barn laid. I was quite disappointed.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rastis
I was going to invest some money into a 'free range' chicken farm and pulled out of the deal after I saw what 'free range' was first hand. It certainly isn't what people think. They aren't fluffy white chickens roaming around a paddock, they are packed into pens (can't remember the amount of chickens allowed per sq metre) if the pen has a roof they are barn laid. I was quite disappointed.
Really? I thought if they were kept in any enclosure they weren't considered free range. My idea of free range, as you said, is chickens running around the farm and the farmer having to turn into Rocky II trying to catch them.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Really? I thought if they were kept in any enclosure they weren't considered free range. My idea of free range, as you said, is chickens running around the farm and the farmer having to turn into Rocky II trying to catch them.
I'm affraid so...It was about three years ago so I can't remember the dimensions, but the pen only had to be partially uncovered to be free range. I imagined a nice big paddock with with little kiddies skipping around with their baskets collecting all the eggs but sadly no! Still it is marginally better than caged. The best thing to do is get some chooks of your own, they are the nicest eggs of all ;-)
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

I'm affraid so...It was about three years ago so I can't remember the dimensions, but the pen only had to be partially uncovered to be free range. I imagined a nice big paddock with with little kiddies skipping around with their baskets collecting all the eggs but sadly no! Still it is marginally better than caged. The best thing to do is get some chooks of your own, they are the nicest eggs of all ;-)
Oh no I couldn't keep my own! My grandma had chocobos of her own. I had one called Larry. I used to feed him and everything as a kid. One day, I'm eating dinner and decide to take some to Larry. I was five and thought chickens ate people food. No, come to find out Larry's not in the yard any more! Poor Larry.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Oh no I couldn't keep my own! My grandma had chocobos of her own. I had one called Larry. I used to feed him and everything as a kid. One day, I'm eating dinner and decide to take some to Larry. I was five and thought chickens ate people food. No, come to find out Larry's not in the yard any more! Poor Larry.
bet that put you of chicken for a while My sister's inlaws where cockies (farmers) when they retired to the suburbs they had loads of chooks in their back yard, nice fat plump ones, I made the mistake of going around their house once on a 'killing' day there were dead headless chooks hanging off the clothes line! and they were busy plucking and gutting some of them! It was an eye opener Nev had his hand up the rear end of this recently departed bird cleaning the unwanted bits out, I tried not to act to shocked but the look on my face must have told a different story, I just got a drull, 'so where do ya think the chooks ya buy from woolies come from, they had feathers too once' Any way on leaving they kindly gave me one to take home for a nice Sunday roast. It never made it to the oven and I could'nt bring myself to eat chicken for many many months after
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

bet that put you of chicken for a while My sister's inlaws where cockies (farmers) when they retired to the suburbs they had loads of chooks in their back yard, nice fat plump ones, I made the mistake of going around their house once on a 'killing' day there were dead headless chooks hanging off the clothes line! and they were busy plucking and gutting some of them! It was an eye opener Nev had his hand up the rear end of this recently departed bird cleaning the unwanted bits out, I tried not to act to shocked but the look on my face must have told a different story, I just got a drull, 'so where do ya think the chooks ya buy from woolies come from, they had feathers too once' Any way on leaving they kindly gave me one to take home for a nice Sunday roast. It never made it to the oven and I could'nt bring myself to eat chicken for many many months after
Yeah, I saw Larry on the plate and refused to eat him. That is, until those hunger pangs started to kick in. Larry started looking good. I justified it like a kid though. "I'm eating you Larry. But that's only so you'll always be with me." You know what, he still is.

That's true!

That was Larry. He writes in italics
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:48 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Im not there yet so cant comment on the Ozzies way of treating pets - but i know that English can treat their pets appallingly - ive helped at my local shelter and ive cried, the vets cry at the state of the animals - its heart breaking, knowing humans have treated an animal so badly.
I lived in Tunisia for 8 months - animal cruelty was rife - yet there were utterly pampered pooches too....ramadam/eid was really distressing - their children played with their sheep for a good couple of weeks before they slit its throat - those same children cheered! but thats their norm!

Im afraid animal cruelty goes on everywhere - as does child cruelty.

Last edited by katsmajic; Feb 12th 2008 at 3:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.