Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austalians and animals - shocked

Austalians and animals - shocked

Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about
Default Austalians and animals - shocked

Hi
I would just like to get other peoples views on how Australians in general treat their pets. I have lived in Hervey Bay, Queensland for over a year and during that time have been concerned at the general uncareing way that alot of Australians treat their pets and this has been highlighted even more since i have started volenteering at the local Animal shelter. I have had and have over heard many conversations of seemingly 'nice people' throwing there dog/cat out on the street (literally), when they have got fed up with it, or it gets pregnant and the worse thing is they are not even ashamed. Unfortunaltey you can still buy puppies and kittens in pet shops, so inevitably at the shelter we get loads of 10 - 11 month old dogs that are no longer cute any more! There seems to be no RSPCA presence in our area at all, so there is no one to prosecute cruelty to animals. Is it just this area or are other Expats concerned by the lack of care for animals. They cant even get a caretaker at the local animal shelter and the job comes with a free house!
I have also seen Huge lorries carrying live (well almost) cows, pigs and sheep in awful conditions and going an awful long way. Not sure what to do with my concerns i guess, so I thought I would tell you lot. There also seems to be a fasion here to have a dog tied to the back of a Ute, all day, in all weathers and at all speeds! Sorry now I am ranting, I could go on, but I will stop now, thanks for listening. K
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austalians and animals - shocked

Originally Posted by katiesel
Hi
I would just like to get other peoples views on how Australians in general treat their pets. I have lived in Hervey Bay, Queensland for over a year and during that time have been concerned at the general uncareing way that alot of Australians treat their pets and this has been highlighted even more since i have started volenteering at the local Animal shelter. I have had and have over heard many conversations of seemingly 'nice people' throwing there dog/cat out on the street (literally), when they have got fed up with it, or it gets pregnant and the worse thing is they are not even ashamed. Unfortunaltey you can still buy puppies and kittens in pet shops, so inevitably at the shelter we get loads of 10 - 11 month old dogs that are no longer cute any more! There seems to be no RSPCA presence in our area at all, so there is no one to prosecute cruelty to animals. Is it just this area or are other Expats concerned by the lack of care for animals. They cant even get a caretaker at the local animal shelter and the job comes with a free house!
I have also seen Huge lorries carrying live (well almost) cows, pigs and sheep in awful conditions and going an awful long way. Not sure what to do with my concerns i guess, so I thought I would tell you lot. There also seems to be a fasion here to have a dog tied to the back of a Ute, all day, in all weathers and at all speeds! Sorry now I am ranting, I could go on, but I will stop now, thanks for listening. K
Be interesting to see what the replies are!
Mind you, there is nothing like working with animals to find out how cruel people can be. I was a Vet nurse in Northern Ireland, and believe me, there are stories that would curl your hair........or straighten it if it is already curly!
The Aussies seem to be more matter of fact about animals, but i don't have enough experience to really voice an opinion.
The cost of puppies in shops though is high enough, that i don't really think that banning them from pet shops would make a big enough difference.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You might like to look up a lady who posts on here called alliekate. She was working for the RSPCA, I think in Townsville. She has posted here numerous times on much the same as yourself and she has been lobbying MPs, media etc too. I believe she is now returning to the UK; one of the reasons being the issues you speak of.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=alliekate
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rabsody
You might like to look up a lady who posts on here called alliekate. She was working for the RSPCA, I think in Townsville. She has posted here numerous times on much the same as yourself and she has been lobbying MPs, media etc too. I believe she is now returning to the UK; one of the reasons being the issues you speak of.
Thank you rabsody, I will read up
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Hi
They way they treat children is more of a worry. They're either soft or as hard as hell. There is no in between here.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Humans are humans the world over. I do not believe that as a nation (which is how you describe the situation) the Australians are any better or worse than the UK or any other country. Yes some people will murder, maim and badly treat animals, children, whoever, BUT many many more love and adore their animals and children.

Obviously working in an Animal Welfare shelters will show the bad, you're hardly going to see the overwhelming (I think) good.

Please don't make overwhelming generalised judgements, it's not fair on everyone who would sooner die than hurt another living being.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:27 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

What i have noticed over here is many dog owners dont seem to take them out for walks ive came across a few like this , the dogs are left to roam the backyard you would think they would be out more with the lovely weather.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Humans are humans the world over. I do not believe that as a nation (which is how you describe the situation) the Australians are any better or worse than the UK or any other country. Yes some people will murder, maim and badly treat animals, children, whoever, BUT many many more love and adore their animals and children.

Obviously working in an Animal Welfare shelters will show the bad, you're hardly going to see the overwhelming (I think) good.

Please don't make overwhelming generalised judgements, it's not fair on everyone who would sooner die than hurt another living being.
Agreed!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I think, as Penny quite rightly says.. animal welfare in Australia, and animal husbandry and pet ownership is no different to anywhere else in the world.

The thing to remember in Australia, if your a Towny from the uk, is its a Agricultural country, animals are either working animals, an earner or food on the plate.

Dogs in general must have a use ( without being over generalistic )

Either the dog, works the farm, guards the property or whatever... its not a lap dog society.

In recent years the push for designer pets has got out of hand, because Australia is a commercially driven society, the likes of Labradoodles and SpanYweillers are all the go.

They even have approached the AKC to be recognised.

To me thats just bullshit, a mixed breed is a mongrel, plain and simple.
The kennel club was always founded on pure bred lines.

Now back to the subject in hand.

Pets here will become more recognised as individual pets, yanno all the luvey duvey shite that people bestow on their pets,, but thats a good thing. Because it will educate them that pets have a lifespan, which has nothing to do with the animals functionality or usability as a tool ( useful object )

The crack down, on animal ownership by the majority of councils in Australia, means that you cant own that many animals, you are required to have the animal tagged, and licensed, you are encouraged to get the animals knackers chopped off, and you must obey laws, both governmental and local, as to exercising your dog in restricted areas and the such like.

So all this crap about Australia being an un loving animal society is just TOSH !

Mostly purported and voiced by people who have seen the nasty end of the animal industry, and are left to pick up the pieces of irrisponsible ppls pet ownership !

But that happens everywhere,

So a society that legislates, and enforces legislation to the n'th degree based on the powers they are given... is and always will be a bloody good thing in my book.

Ste
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:43 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I think, as Penny quite rightly says.. animal welfare in Australia, and animal husbandry and pet ownership is no different to anywhere else in the world.

The thing to remember in Australia, if your a Towny from the uk, is its a Agricultural country, animals are either working animals, an earner or food on the plate.

Dogs in general must have a use ( without being over generalistic )

Either the dog, works the farm, guards the property or whatever... its not a lap dog society.

In recent years the push for designer pets has got out of hand, because Australia is a commercially driven society, the likes of Labradoodles and SpanYweillers are all the go.

They even have approached the AKC to be recognised.

To me thats just bullshit, a mixed breed is a mongrel, plain and simple.
The kennel club was always founded on pure bred lines.

Now back to the subject in hand.

Pets here will become more recognised as individual pets, yanno all the luvey duvey shite that people bestow on their pets,, but thats a good thing. Because it will educate them that pets have a lifespan, which has nothing to do with the animals functionality or usability as a tool ( useful object )

The crack down, on animal ownership by the majority of councils in Australia, means that you cant own that many animals, you are required to have the animal tagged, and licensed, you are encouraged to get the animals knackers chopped off, and you must obey laws, both governmental and local, as to exercising your dog in restricted areas and the such like.

So all this crap about Australia being an un loving animal society is just TOSH !

Mostly purported and voiced by people who have seen the nasty end of the animal industry, and are left to pick up the pieces of irrisponsible ppls pet ownership !

But that happens everywhere,

So a society that legislates, and enforces legislation to the n'th degree based on the powers they are given... is and always will be a bloody good thing in my book.

Ste
hello from maslin beach...good post...like it.....you are good at talking and saying good things
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

I am sure the ozzies just love imigrants comming to their country and moaning about animal welfare...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
What i have noticed over here is many dog owners dont seem to take them out for walks ive came across a few like this , the dogs are left to roam the backyard you would think they would be out more with the lovely weather.
The reality is that dogs are seen as security - in that respect they are little more - infact less than genuine working dogs.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
Don't know what part of Perth you're in, but we see literally dozens of people walking their dogs in the park behind our house every day...Rain, shine or 45 degree heat.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:20 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
The cat in your avatar is very fat, this isn't healthy.

Just thought I'd let you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.