Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussies Fatter than Americans

Aussies Fatter than Americans

Old Nov 21st 2004, 12:52 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussies Fatter than Americans

I am gutted!

I am 5"9 and a size 14 - curvy but not fat. I thought moving to Brisbane next year would be the start of a new me. I have great plans to have a gym in my house and do laps in my swimming pool every day before or after work!? I would love to get down to a size 12, not too skinny but a healthy weight.

When I was on holiday in Brisbane the heat put me off my food! I craved a healthy smoothie instead of a McDonalds. Does know one else find the weather makes you like this? Also for T I had like grilled chicken on BBQ and salad - much lower in fat than anything I would eat at home. I guess the fast food joints are a big temptation though, especially when they are quite cheap!

Lynn
Old Nov 21st 2004, 1:15 pm
aka Michelle

koalagirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Simone
Yep, and when I'm in the South Eastern suburbs of Perth(where I work) I see more big sizes than around where I live(central) and the northern suburbs(where all the poms are )

I must say, there's a lot more junk food readily available here than there was in Holland. And I have very very bad self discipline, so it's not going very well for me.
I've noticed much more clothes choice here for bigger people too(in Target/Kmart, but also Katies I think it was, plus some others). Luckily I JUST still fit in the 'normal' big sizes, but it's not going in the right direction. It's about time I got serious about eating less and sporting more, but I've been saying that for years
I am having the opposite problem to Simone, it's only been since being in The Netherlands that I have started putting on weight. Now, while I am still slim/average sized according to most people (well, as far as I know, hehe) I have put on a few kilos and lost any toning I had.
It wasn't that I did more sport when I was in Australia or anything so maybe it's just that for most of my jobs there I was standing all day and here I am sitting...
or maybe it's just that I am a few years older...
Maybe I have settled because I have met 'the one' ...
While I do eat more vegetables here (Sander's mum is a great cook), I also eat more potatoes and more chips (fries/patat)...

*shrug* it's probably a combination I guess. I can certainly tell you that it's not a good feeling to be unable to fit into certain pants and not look so nice in certain tops for the first time in my life (except when I was still growing of course)

My Mum is overweight (Australian size 16 usually) and although she carries it well (because she's resonably tall) and has had no real health issues, I was always adamant I wouldn't let myself get overweight like that. It's a little scary for me to see how easy it is for the weight to creep on as it has, because I know it will get harder to stay slim as I get older and after I have kids. BUT I am not really a motivated person when it comes to exercise - I go through phases and the lazy phases always last much longer than the active ones, hehe.

I am hopeful I'll get some motivation back before Sander and I get to Australia, I really don't want 'extra weight' to be the first thing people see when I return!

- Michelle

P.S it doesn't help that my wonderful fiancé and his entire family (almost) are all really skinny things! hehe

P.P.S Not really related, but I do think that overall, Dutch people are more fashionable than Australian's - especially obvious in the middle aged and up!
Old Nov 21st 2004, 1:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalagirl
I am having the opposite problem to Simone, it's only been since being in The Netherlands that I have started putting on weight. Now, while I am still slim/average sized according to most people (well, as far as I know, hehe) I have put on a few kilos and lost any toning I had.
It wasn't that I did more sport when I was in Australia or anything so maybe it's just that for most of my jobs there I was standing all day and here I am sitting...
or maybe it's just that I am a few years older...
Maybe I have settled because I have met 'the one' ...
While I do eat more vegetables here (Sander's mum is a great cook), I also eat more potatoes and more chips (fries/patat)...

*shrug* it's probably a combination I guess. I can certainly tell you that it's not a good feeling to be unable to fit into certain pants and not look so nice in certain tops for the first time in my life (except when I was still growing of course)

My Mum is overweight (Australian size 16 usually) and although she carries it well (because she's resonably tall) and has had no real health issues, I was always adamant I wouldn't let myself get overweight like that. It's a little scary for me to see how easy it is for the weight to creep on as it has, because I know it will get harder to stay slim as I get older and after I have kids. BUT I am not really a motivated person when it comes to exercise - I go through phases and the lazy phases always last much longer than the active ones, hehe.

I am hopeful I'll get some motivation back before Sander and I get to Australia, I really don't want 'extra weight' to be the first thing people see when I return!

- Michelle

P.S it doesn't help that my wonderful fiancé and his entire family (almost) are all really skinny things! hehe

P.P.S Not really related, but I do think that overall, Dutch people are more fashionable than Australian's - especially obvious in the middle aged and up!
ha, shows again it's really about individual situation, not country!
Yes, with me having a sitdown job, and not parttime waitressing and partly walking/biking to uni also make a difference here.
But definetly also that eating out(junkfood esp) is cheaper here.

Btw, I'm 'against' being overweight for health reasons, and I just feel better being able to wear what I like(yes, that last bit is of course the negative body image stuff I guess). And I'd like to be fitter/have more energy etc.
Being anorexic is just as bad as being obese!!!! And obese guys is just as 'bad' as obese girls(imo)
And of course becoming overweight (or skinny) because of an illness, is an entirely different story!
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:08 pm
aka Michelle

Btw, I'm 'against' being overweight for health reasons, and I just feel better being able to wear what I like(yes, that last bit is of course the negative body image stuff I guess). And I'd like to be fitter/have more energy etc.
Being anorexic is just as bad as being obese!!!! And obese guys is just as 'bad' as obese girls(imo)
And of course becoming overweight (or skinny) because of an illness, is an entirely different story!
*nods* yes, it really is mainly a health issue. I do know however, that there are probably heaps of people that are 'bigger' than me but heaps healthier too! And I'd rather be a bit podgy than be unhealthily thin! I think that if you are comfortable with your body shape and that you aren't doing yourself any damage by being the size you are then there is no problem at all!
While Sander is very thin, if you look at his Dad and sisters you'll see it's purely genetics. Some people are just built to be thin and others are built much more solidly!

I also would like the be fitter and have more energy. I don't mind the size I am but I just rather be more toned and fit - though admittedly I'd love slimmer legs (the kind of long sexy legs I'd be proud to show off, hehe) but that's purely vanity on my part.

Obesity or anorexia in males or females is just as bad as each other *agrees*.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:15 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

*nods* yes, it really is mainly a health issue. I do know however, that there are probably heaps of people that are 'bigger' than me but heaps healthier too! And I'd rather be a bit podgy than be unhealthily thin! I think that if you are comfortable with your body shape and that you aren't doing yourself any damage by being the size you are then there is no problem at all!
While Sander is very thin, if you look at his Dad and sisters you'll see it's purely genetics. Some people are just built to be thin and others are built much more solidly!
Yep, of course!
Pascal's family is also very thin, built that way(though also don't eat as much chocolate and biccies )

I guess I wish to be more proportionate(not sure if that's the right word...) than thin!
Just back inside the 'normal'(?) weight on the BMI scale.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:30 pm
aka Michelle

Yep, of course!
Pascal's family is also very thin, built that way(though also don't eat as much chocolate and biccies )

I guess I wish to be more proportionate(not sure if that's the right word...) than thin!
Just back inside the 'normal'(?) weight on the BMI scale.
I know exactly what you mean. I think proportionate is technically correct but I'd be more inclined to say 'more in proportion'.

I am what is commonly called a 'pear shape' (lower half is bigger than my top half) and thus my legs and bum are my problem areas...but now that I have put on these few extra kilos even my (always flat before) belly and upper body has developed podgy bits, hehe.

I am still within the normal healthy range for my height so I shouldn't really be complaining too much .
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

I am still within the normal healthy range for my height so I shouldn't really be complaining too much :-p.
Ah, yes, well, that's how that works! The poms are not the only ones good at 'whinging' :-D
I used to whinge when I was about 15 kgs lighter. Now I look back and think: whoah, I was thin back then. But back then I seriously thought I was fat!
I think most(all??) people complain, doesn't matter what weight they are, there's always something to complain about. Even if it's just one small thing, or their nose or silly stuff like that.

Now, it's really time to go to bed!!!!!

seeya!
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Mike Stanton, we Aussies might be fat but your ugly and we can always loose weight.

I believe that was a Winston Churchill quote. When accused of being drunk by a lady, he said 'Madam I a may be drunk, but your are ugly. In the morning I will be sober, but you will still be ugly'.

Ahh. something like that . Look up the exact quote on the web,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 21st 2004, 3:08 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

So you don't like women with decent-sized breasts then, Mike?

No? Then there's no hope for us.....

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Nov 21st 2004 at 3:12 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:25 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

2 comments:
Aussies (like Brits) are fat because they drink too much, Yanks because they eat too much. I have often seen an Aussie male from behind and he has looked fine but when he turns sideways his beer belly gives him away.

Secondly, I think it is good if Aussies are overweight as I won't look so fat when I stand next to one.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:14 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

As other people, who have visited the UK, Oz and US, have mentioned, Brits and Aussies look similar whereas Americans look much bigger.

On average aussies may be heavier than americans because there are more people at the extremes in the US (i.e. ultra-thin or ultra-heavy).

This just highlights the problem that an average is a useless figure without a standard-deviation (i.e. the thing that shows the width of the distribution around the average).

Cheers
Alistair
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:25 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Obese (that's the bit (sic) weigh past overweight)
Mike, just FYI, the annotation sic is used to indicate that the Author has not made the mistake. Usually for puns you stick a (pun intended) attachment on the end of the sentence.

Sorry to be pedantic...

Regards
Alistair
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:14 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I am gutted!

I am 5"9 and a size 14 - curvy but not fat. I thought moving to Brisbane next year would be the start of a new me. I have great plans to have a gym in my house and do laps in my swimming pool every day before or after work!? I would love to get down to a size 12, not too skinny but a healthy weight.

When I was on holiday in Brisbane the heat put me off my food! I craved a healthy smoothie instead of a McDonalds. Does know one else find the weather makes you like this? Also for T I had like grilled chicken on BBQ and salad - much lower in fat than anything I would eat at home. I guess the fast food joints are a big temptation though, especially when they are quite cheap!

Lynn

So longs you're closer to a 12 now than 16 you'll find when you get to OZ you are a 12 already There sizes are slightly larger than the UK. Not sure if its quite a whole dress size, probably more like UK 14 = OZ 12.5! Cheating I know, but the ego boost is quite nice!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I think they are all in Qld! I have never seen so many obese people. I am not talking about a bit of padding here and there. The shapes are so out of proportion you have to wonder about the human body. I saw a woman who was so pear shaped you could have used her waist as a book shelf, front and back. They all dress in releaving singlets and hipsters with really tight bras - you get the picture. The mens' guts are mostly from beer, but any ideas about the women? Maybe its too hot to cook so they get take-aways? Are they boredom eaters? I'd be very interested in everyone's theories.

Queenie

Originally Posted by bondipom
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E28102,00.html

Aussies are fatter than Americans
By Sharri Markson
November 21, 2004
THE average Australian woman is a size 16 and weighs 8kg heavier than her American counterpart, according to authoritive new international research.

Australian men are also 3kg heavier than American males, the joint study by the University of Adelaide and US researchers shows.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 3:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
So longs you're closer to a 12 now than 16 you'll find when you get to OZ you are a 12 already There sizes are slightly larger than the UK. Not sure if its quite a whole dress size, probably more like UK 14 = OZ 12.5! Cheating I know, but the ego boost is quite nice!
I reckon the Americans cheat on sizes.
I just looked at a size conversion table and found that a UK or AUS size 16 becomes a size 12 in the USA
You don't need to lose weight to go down a dress size or two, just move to the USA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.