Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussies dislikes

Aussies dislikes

Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussies dislikes

I was reading on a web site that the Aussies don't like us pomms much, and the best place for a pom is in pommie land. I asked a friend who lives in Brisbane this question and she said that the Aussies had been nothing but nice to her and her family. Would you agree to this or have you had different experiences.

Stacey
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies dislikes

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
I was reading on a web site that the Aussies don't like us pomms much, and the best place for a pom is in pommie land. I asked a friend who lives in Brisbane this question and she said that the Aussies had been nothing but nice to her and her family. Would you agree to this or have you had different experiences.

Stacey
This has come up many times. There will always be people who don't like immigrants. They are in the minority. No different from the UK or any other country in the world. I have met with nothing less than kindness and smiles. The ones I have met are proud that people want to move to their country.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Aussies dislikes

Stacey
Put it this way - Poms have been flocking to Australia ever since the end of WWII. That's about 50 years of solid Pom-to-Australia emigration.

If Poms were truly hated by the majority of Australians, we wouldn't have seen such a steady stream of ex-pats.

I also refer you to Moneypen's post.

Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:05 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Youll always have people with different opinions just like we have different opinions about people coming to this country... I would say the general attitude is good towards us, as long as your polite etc and not stuck up
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Hi,

We have been here about 5 weeks & everyone has been really friendly. I know it's early days yet,& no doubt we will come accross someone with a bit of a problem,but so far,all is rosey!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:20 am
ABCDiamond

Stacey
I've been here many years now, and in the main, they are very friendly people.

Reminds me of the time I wasn't able to drive for some weeks, and an Aussie offered to drive me wherever I needed to go.

And another time, when a house I was living in was in danger of flooding, a neighbour offered to dig a drainage channel for me.

But then another neighbour.. oh wait a minute he wasn't an Aussie....

This weekend I asked my neighbour if he minded if I cut the branches off his tree which were overhanging my garden, he insisted that he'd do it and he'd dispose of the branches too.

But, not all of them are perfect, I have to hide from another neighbour, he'll talk for hours

Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:43 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Put it this way - Poms have been flocking to Australia ever since the end of WWII. That's about 50 years of solid Pom-to-Australia emigration.

If Poms were truly hated by the majority of Australians, we wouldn't have seen such a steady stream of ex-pats.

I also refer you to Moneypen's post.

Poms have been flocking to oz ever since 1788
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

If they are not a Kiwi then it seems everyones parents or grandparents were Poms. So they always tell you where they come from. As long as you can give the banter back to them they are sound, we have not had one problem.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Byron Bay in August last year in a busy pub where they were showing cricket highlights from the Ashes. My husband got into a conversation with a local Aussie about the cricket, despite all the warnings about not discussing the cricket as it could be a bit sensitive. Anyway, he and the Aussie concerned had a very civilised and objective conversation about the cricket despite the fact that hubby was obviously rooting for England! Most of the Aussies we've met have been extremely friendly and generous.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey
Oh Stacey, you get good and bad everywhere, we have been here 15 months and recently moved, it was so stressful for us. We have made some lovely friends, Aussie, English, South African, Spanish, Italian, Welsh,Irish and do you know our Aussie mates are absolutely wonderful, they make us feel so special and helped us no end when we moved, when i was at the hospital recently, my daughter ill, my son with a broken toe, one of my Aussie friends came to the hospital to see if she could help. I cried, i was so happy to see her, please dont worry about this, you will make your own friends.
Good luck and chill. Denise xx
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I get a bit of gentle teasing from my father in law. He's a second generation Aussie, but his family arrived from Germany for the gold rush. He's worked with a few brits on a building site so of course he thinks he knows ALL Brits. I like to wind him up back about his immigrant roots!

Gentle teasing is all you'll get from Aussies... but on the whole, I've had nothing but kindness from the ones I know.
Making friends takes effort and consistency on your part, but you will do it. Aussies are wonderful people generally. They broke the mold when they made them.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I get a bit of gentle teasing from my father in law. He's a second generation Aussie, but his family arrived from Germany for the gold rush. He's worked with a few brits on a building site so of course he thinks he knows ALL Brits. I like to wind him up back about his immigrant roots!

Gentle teasing is all you'll get from Aussies... but on the whole, I've had nothing but kindness from the ones I know.
Making friends takes effort and consistency on your part, but you will do it. Aussies are wonderful people generally. They broke the mold when they made them.
ditto
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:43 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
hubby was obviously rooting for England!
Root (verb and noun) : synonym for ***** in nearly all its senses: "I feel rooted"; "this washing machine is rooted"; "(s)he's a good root". A very useful word in fairly polite company.
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
Be careful you never ask an aussie who they're rooting for
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:46 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of Aussies you meet will be fine.

However, should you experience any hassle from anyone about you being an immigrant, say to them "you're just saying that because you're first generation", because the troublemakers have a chip on their shoulder about how Australian they are, and deep down feel inadequate if their parents were from some other country.

Some Queenslander redneck tried to tell my Australian wife to go back home at the fruitpicking in Victoria, mistaking her for a Brit since she doesn't speak like a "Narelle", she told him she was more Australian than him being fifth generation Aussie on her Dad's side, and betted him that he was only first generation.

Surprise surprise, she was right, and he went away with his tail between his legs.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Aussies dislikes

Originally Posted by Breezey
Poms have been flocking to oz ever since 1788
I meant willingly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.