Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Aussies crazy?

Are Aussies crazy?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Are Aussies crazy?

Yesterday a woman at Labrador on the Gold Coast lost control of her car, mounting the kerb and killing a teenage boy walking innocently on the footpath. His friend is in a critical state in hospital with shattered legs and internal injuries that he may did from.

I drive through this area on a daily basis, which brings this incident closer to home a bit. After hearing about this tragedy yesterday afternoon I said a prayer for the victims and the driver. I'm not a religious person, I just felt very sorry for all concerned and asked the lord (if there is one) to help those close to this.

Anyway, I was just watching the news tonight and the female driver (35y/o) faced the local court charged with dangerous driving causing death. She was apparently speeding at the time.

Ok people speed, people make stupid mistakes and sometimes innocent people die. But what disturbs is that driver was apparently laughing and smiling all the way through the court hearing, showing absolutely no remorse. When she was taken away from the court by the police she again was laughing and giving the 2 thumbs up to the victims friends who had gathered at the court house.

What is the world coming to when people show no remorse for their stupid actions and actually seem proud of them?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Aussies crazy?

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Yesterday a woman at Labrador on the Gold Coast lost control of her car, mounting the kerb and killing a teenage boy walking innocently on the footpath. His friend is in a critical state in hospital with shattered legs and internal injuries that he may did from.

I drive through this area on a daily basis, which brings this incident closer to home a bit. After hearing about this tragedy yesterday afternoon I said a prayer for the victims and the driver. I'm not a religious person, I just felt very sorry for all concerned and asked the lord (if there is one) to help those close to this.

Anyway, I was just watching the news tonight and the female driver (35y/o) faced the local court charged with dangerous driving causing death. She was apparently speeding at the time.

Ok people speed, people make stupid mistakes and sometimes innocent people die. But what disturbs is that driver was apparently laughing and smiling all the way through the court hearing, showing absolutely no remorse. When she was taken away from the court by the police she again was laughing and giving the 2 thumbs up to the victims friends who had gathered at the court house.

What is the world coming to when people show no remorse for their stupid actions and actually seem proud of them?
Make your mind up. Is it Aussies that are crazy ... or 'people'?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Exactly - sounds like a typical month here in Norfolk....except the innocent victim is more likely to be a tree.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
Well it's reported she tried to resuscitate the victim after the crash, was covered in blood and was in shock. She's now undergoing psychiatric assessment and has been refused bail, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on a TV news report. Especially Australian tabloid TV news. If you've seen the spoof TV Frontline you'll know how adept they are at using a bit of editing to make people look bad.
Beat me to it.

I was just going to say she might be a wreck and displaying a defence mechanism that her current world will never end.

Maybe her lawyer said something funny - gallows humour. The Brits are similarly famous for it - men were dying at Dunkirk and yet someone was laughing I bet ya.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by michael_w
Well it's reported she tried to resuscitate the victim after the crash, was covered in blood and was in shock. She's now undergoing psychiatric assessment and has been refused bail, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on a TV news report. Especially Australian tabloid TV news. If you've seen the spoof TV Frontline you'll know how adept they are at using a bit of editing to make people look bad.
Yes the media here is woeful.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Beat me to it.

I was just going to say she might be a wreck and displaying a defence mechanism that her current world will never end.
That could well be it.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
Both
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know she was Aussie?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How do you know she was Aussie?
By the way she drives.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

By the way she drives.
Considering about 30% of immigrants to Australia are from UK, doesn't it make sense that 30% of the bad drivers are also from UK? Or are you the only people on the planet who can drive?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Considering about 30% of immigrants to Australia are from UK, doesn't it make sense that 30% of the bad drivers are also from UK? Or are you the only people on the planet who can drive?

If you're asking an English person, then yes apparantly they are
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

The average Brit is a better driver. This is no secret. British immigrants raise the standard of driving here, not lower it as you would suggest.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you're asking an English person, then yes apparantly they are
I'm the best driver in the world. Problem is everyone else thinks they are too.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The average Brit is a better driver. This is no secret. British immigrants raise the standard of driving here, not lower it as you would suggest.
See Dorothy, I told you

I'm the best driver in the world. Problem is everyone else thinks they are too.
I know what you mean, I'm the same (even though I'm still on P Plates or 'Pratt Plates' as my OH calls them )
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
See Dorothy, I told you

I know what you mean, I'm the same (even though I'm still on P Plates or 'Pratt Plates' as my OH calls them )
So you're one of those P plater hoons I see all the time cutting up traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.