Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie wildlife!!

Aussie wildlife!!

Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough
Default Aussie wildlife!!

I'm in my living room, covered with mosquito bites, chasing a cockroach with my rolled up yoga mat while my husband has just extracted our first huge spider from behind the toaster. Just need a snake to swing past to complete the picture!!

Still, did see my first truly wild kangaroos at the side of the road the other day. Kind of makes up for the creepy crawlies.......

Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie wildlife!!

Originally Posted by ClareW
I'm in my living room, covered with mosquito bites, chasing a cockroach with my rolled up yoga mat while my husband has just extracted our first huge spider from behind the toaster. Just need a snake to swing past to complete the picture!!

Still, did see my first truly wild kangaroos at the side of the road the other day. Kind of makes up for the creepy crawlies.......

Poor you. We got used to the cockroached last summer as we averaged at least one a day. Back to square one now as we haven't had any all winter!!! As for mosquito bites I found that the longer I am here the less I seem to get bitten but I have found those yellow clicker things do actually work on the bites.
Whilst still in UK the thought of killing these bugs could have put me off moving, irrational I know but once here the more you come across you just get used to it, well that is the theory anyhow.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:08 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sitting here all swollen.

Now just wait a minute I haven't finished.

Something bit me and I don't know what but for two and a half days now my arm has been swollen from my bicep down to my wrist.

It itches and aches like crazy and my arm is a pinky colour.

Haven't fared to bad since being here so strange I should get this reaction now.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Something bit me and I don't know what but for two and a half days now my arm has been swollen from my bicep down to my wrist.

Haven't fared to bad since being here so strange I should get this reaction now.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:39 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Have a look at this, Bix, and see if any of the symptoms you have match.

http://www.homeopathic.com/articles/using_h/bites.php

Sue
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Bix, I was bitten on my leg by a Whitetail spider...reaction didn't happen for a couple of days - then it was hard and hot, swollen, painful, and had a large blister on the 4th day...had to go on strong antibiotics. Problem with whitetails is that they can cause lesions...so keep your eye on it

Cas
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:00 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Go to the pharmacy and in your best pommie accent say 'I appear to have been bitten by something nasty' , when they stop sniggering and come back from behind the counter they'll get the pharmacist to look at it and tell you what to do about it.

Sounds like a spider bite mate. (thats what the chemist bloke said to me ) and he says ' are you feeling ill at all ? ' - to which I replied , I am now that you tell me Ive been bitten by a spider, by the way do you sell clean underwear?'
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:11 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareW

Sounds awful....but what's worrying me the most is if you're chasing a cockie with a yoga mat, how big is the cockie??? :scared:

D D
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:19 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

May have been a Huntsman, as those are the sort of symptoms you get with a huntsman bite...
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:43 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Sounds awful....but what's worrying me the most is if you're chasing a cockie with a yoga mat, how big is the cockie??? :scared:

D D

Well it was obviously getting ready for its evening exercises. :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream

D D
I was too wussy to go after it with my shoe - didn't want to get that close so the yoga mat had better reach. And I figured I could count it as part of my daily excercise........ every minute counts in my book
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips and concern

Yep Sue, i'm in amongst that lot. I had forgotten the burning sensation. Reckon I could have fried an egg on there the first couple of days.

Went to the chemist and bought some non drowsy anti histimine tablets over the counter. Don't seem to have done much though. Guess it takes them a while to get into your system.

Swelling is nearly gone but it still itches like crazy and aches. Cold water is a good relief.

Haven't had much sleep for the last 3 nights so hope tonight improves otherwise these matchsticks may break under the strain
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:18 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Yep Sue, i'm in amongst that lot. I had forgotten the burning sensation. Reckon I could have fried an egg on there the first couple of days.

Went to the chemist and bought some non drowsy anti histimine tablets over the counter. Don't seem to have done much though. Guess it takes them a while to get into your system.

Swelling is nearly gone but it still itches like crazy and aches. Cold water is a good relief.

Haven't had much sleep for the last 3 nights so hope tonight improves otherwise these matchsticks may break under the strain
I got some reuseable icepacks from the chemists, they come with a cover so you can use them comfortably, should help the itch and the burning, great too for when the kids are unwell or have headaches etc.

Carol
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:19 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Was that the ledum or the apis? I'd offer to send you some as I have both, but they'd take forever to reach you. A good health food shop may well sell them. If not, there is a homoeopathic pharmacy in NZ that I have been recommended to for all my remedies. They do next day delivery in Oz. Let me know if you're interested.

Hope it's better soon, Bix.

Sue
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

tt80 is an unknown quantity at this point

The best way to get rid of cochroches is to not kill the spiders. They eat them and are your best defence against them. The best spider for this is the Huntsman and are not lethal to humans.