Aussie TV ???

Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie TV ???

Hi All

Are there any 'decent' programmes on Aussie TV.

Everyone seems to dislike it from what I can gather. Perhaps its the lack of entertaining Soaps (or the fact that they run 6 months behind - so its a case of guess what happens next!)

Any suggestions as to what to watch - I like comedy and things that are interesting (without giving me a bad head)

Anth
Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

When we visited Cairns in February, the Monday night British footy (soccer!) night on SBS was very handy - does that count?!!

And those living in Oz, is it true SBS is nicknamed Soccer Bloody Soccer because they show so much, and that it's similar to our dear old C5 back in the UK?

I also do remember seeing some late-night comedy/soap about a politician living in Sydney. Was half-cut on Melbourne Bitter though, so can't remember too much about it...
Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cool ...

Not sure which bit sounds best

Footy
Comedy
Getting half cut on Bitter!

Cheers Gav

where you gonna be staying in Brissy - we still got that Beer to drink!

Anth
Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

You bet!!!

We're staying in Bald Hills, with my wife's cousin, which I understand is a northern suburb.

We're planning to rent a place near the city within a few weeks of landing though - staggering distance from the city pubs and restuarants!

Definitely meet up for a few (?!) bevvies! You're staying in Noosa aren't you?
Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:51 pm
Badge

"Soccer Bloody Soccer" has its moments as a kind of "C4"..I believe it was brought in for "alternative" programming. It saved the day for many Europeans last summer when it showed every soccer game from the World Cup. Great decision for them - at one point it looked like noone was going to bother.

foreign films subtitled etc on some evenings. .ie gratuitous nudity most likely ala C4. Reminds me of that Mary Whitehouse joke;-)

In hostels Brits were seen watching it to catch up on the Premiership - they do show soccer which is fine by me as it saves it from taking too much room up on national channels 7 and 9 and Fox so I can enjoy my league and rah rah in piece and quiet away from the girly hysterics of the Premiership.

Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:20 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aussie TV ???

Originally posted by anthonykirby
Hi All

Everyone seems to dislike it from what I can gather. Perhaps its the lack of entertaining Soaps (or the fact that they run 6 months behind - so its a case of guess what happens next!)

Any suggestions as to what to watch - I like comedy and things that are interesting (without giving me a bad head)

Anth

Forgive me if it's just me, but on gaining residency to a whole new country I think I'd find more to do than watching the box.....heck, there's an excuse in the UK - there's not a lot else to do unless you are pretty well off.....at least in Oz you have the beach nearby...I'd junk the TV and go enjoy the wildlife and the beach....

Rich
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Definitely a good point.

Still need that meaningless late-night TV to watch while having a kebab having got back from the pub though!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:30 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Ha ha,

Yes I agree on that one......not the kebab though...it makes me shudder to think how long the meat stays on that spike heated and reheated.......oh well, if it doesn't kill you......

Rich
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:31 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Anth
This is a good guide to Aussie TV. You can select a CITY, FREE TO AIR and/or SUBSCRIPTION TV, select a TIME OR DATE and then see what's in store for you.

http://www.yourtv.com.au/

What really frightened me though was when I clicked on a programme to see what it was about, I was offered an option to send me an email to remind me to watch the programme!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:42 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

ive not got sky or cable but just your basic 5 channels here, and i find them absolutly shocking.
theres no way ozzie t.v can be any worse apart from the endless adverts perhaps. at least your not paying loads for a t.v liscence out there tho....
Old Jul 25th 2003, 5:20 pm
Badge

I dont watch much TV - so admittedly am not an expert but to be honest I couldn't see much difference between UK tv and Aus tv - ok - more adverts (towards the ends of programmes) in Aus...

but they have the same changing rooms type stuff etc..police type programmes etc

badgers

Old Jul 26th 2003, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Anth
The Bill appeared to be on Oz TV every night, about 3 years behind.
Hornblower Just started in January.
Films, Oz Soaps, Sport.
Pretty much the same as the UK.

Uk crap TV is getting worse.
Pop Idols, Search for a star, Pop stars, Soapstars, Reborn in the USA.
Big Brother, Celeb Big brother, Big brothers little brother, Ime a celeb, ime a US celeb.
Under the hammer, junk auction, bootsale challenge, in the attic.
Changing rooms, real homes, gardening progs etc.

All this is suposed to be reality TV.
Lets hope its not sold to Oz too soon.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 6:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by porkchop
The Bill appeared to be on Oz TV every night, about 3 years behind.
Hornblower Just started in January.
Films, Oz Soaps, Sport.
Pretty much the same as the UK.

Uk crap TV is getting worse.
Pop Idols, Search for a star, Pop stars, Soapstars, Reborn in the USA.
Big Brother, Celeb Big brother, Big brothers little brother, Ime a celeb, ime a US celeb.
Under the hammer, junk auction, bootsale challenge, in the attic.
Changing rooms, real homes, gardening progs etc.

All this is suposed to be reality TV.
Lets hope its not sold to Oz too soon.
Thet've probably got their own versions. If I recall was'nt popstars invented in Australia ?.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Amazulu,you might be thinking of "Young Talent Time"Which the world can be thankfull,or despair,in introducing the Minogue sisters to singing,acting etc.
I know there were young people on the show, but where was the talent? Kylie,Danni,Tina Arena(Anyone remember her?)and before all the criticism,Kylie and Danni talented?A brain surgeon is talented,singing or acting in Neighbours is not classed as talent.Scientists are talented,Deltra Goodmen et al are not.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quite worried about the kids programmes but after doing more research OZ also have Bob the builder and Thomas tank. KIds love Hi 5 though.... I think cable is a must in OZ.
TV can't be any worse than it is over here.... nights of endless crap on BBC1/ ITV.

We are gonna take the full set of Only fools and horses and also Faulty Towers so if we need cheering up Im sure that will do the trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.