Not sure.
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie Tax

Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:59 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie Tax

Do you think (or perceive) that Aussie Tax is higher, lower or the same as UK tax?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 26th 2007 at 12:01 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Tax

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Do you think (or perceive) that Aussie Tax is higher, lower or the same as UK tax?
My perception is that there is not much in it. Both systems have followed a long running trend to attempt to put the dollar in your pocket through much flouted cuts (which helps everyone - even if some proportionately benefit more than others). This may put up inflation though.

Think back to the 80s and how much more tax people paid then. I'm guessing it was the same in Australia.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:13 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

My perception is that it is lower.

The income tax rates are roughly the same. But there are no National Insurance contributions to pay. Or rather, Medicare is only 1% whereas NI is 11% plus.

GST, the Australian version of VAT is also less. There is also much less tax on petrol.

Gina

P.S. There wasn't an option in the poll to vote for thinking that Aus tax is lower than UK tax. Therefore I didn't vote.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:57 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK

The income tax rates are roughly the same. But there are no National Insurance contributions to pay. Or rather, Medicare is only 1% whereas NI is 11% plus.

GST, the Australian version of VAT is also less. There is also much less tax on petrol.

Gina

P.S. There wasn't an option in the poll to vote for thinking that Aus tax is lower than UK tax. Therefore I didn't vote.
Stamp Duty!!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That would be option two = UK tax is higher.

Wakey wakey Gina
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Gina

Agree with Gina. Feels lower all in all.

Direct taxation roughly the same, indirect taxation less here.

No tax on petrol (QLD), lower coucil 'tax'.

Andy
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:48 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

I have just been looking thro' the ATO website and found a document that has pleased me and probably many other servicemen and women. The ADF can claim back "heaps" more than tax than what we could with the British Services.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Or rather, Medicare is only 1% whereas NI is 11% plus.

Gina
Don't forget the employer also has to stump up more NI as well. Another 12% odd, whereas in Oz the employer pays an extra 9% but that is yours to keep in a pension fund.

Then there are all the other stealth taxes in the UK.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a few interesting points here.

Typically the OECD reports Aussie tax as being about 31-33% of GDP and the UK as 36-38% of GDP.

A lot of people don't seem to see NI as a tax. When labour came to power in 1997 they promised not to raise income tax rates. They did however introduce a 1% NI charge that was on the whole of the employee's salary. This, for PAYE employees, is effectively the same thing. For those that don't pay NI or pay a reduced NI contribution, the UK tax in most cases will be lower.

A lot of people see the 9% Employer Super Contribution as a tax. Although this 9% is taxed slightly (at 15%) it is an actual payment to the employee, albeit one that they will get in the future. With the UK equivalent (the 12.8% of salary over the tax free threshold) some of it will be returned in the future but how much you get back is not linked to how much you pay in. Most people don't think about the UK Employer's contribution as it goes into the goverment's pocket rather than their own. The upshot of all this is that most people see a tax where there isn't one and don't see a tax where there is one.

A lot of people see the $6000 tax free limit and think that's a lot lower than the UK's £5k (approx). However most people know nothing of the low income tax offset which means that you can earn up to $11k before getting taxed at more than the 1.5% medicare rate. Still not as good as the UK but not as bad as some perceive.

As most people have suggested indirect taxation is lower in Aus (even with the addition of stamp duties). Some of the stamp duties have a UK tax equivalent (e.g. insurance stamp vs insurance tax). It is worth noting that the two largest costs for most households (mortgage payments and food bills) are relatively (but not completely) free of indirect tax in both countries.

Ultimately the lower tax in Aus is to some degree offset by higher school costs and health costs. However I'm happier to have more control over my money.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 26th 2007 at 10:33 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Ultimately the lower tax in Aus is to some degree offset by higher school costs and health costs. However I'm happier to have more control over my money.

Very good points. Especially the last as that's how it feels to me also.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Originally Posted by TJUK
I have just been looking thro' the ATO website and found a document that has pleased me and probably many other servicemen and women. The ADF can claim back "heaps" more than tax than what we could with the British Services.
Can you post a link please as I am moving over to the ADF (Army) on 13th November and will be interested to have a read of it.

Ta in advance.

Gary
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For me tax is definitely higher here but taxation is falling in AUSTRALIA and rising in the UK so this will change in the future.