Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie super - 9% up to 12%

Aussie super - 9% up to 12%

Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of
Default Aussie super - 9% up to 12%

Hi there

Does anyone know if this is actualy happening or not ?

I've read about it on the web but not sure if it is law yet or not and if not, when it will go through parliment
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aussie super - 9% up to 12%

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Hi there

Does anyone know if this is actualy happening or not ?

I've read about it on the web but not sure if it is law yet or not and if not, when it will go through parliment
As far as I know still just being talked about and no real plans to get any further than that.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It's more than just being talked about.

It is definitely planned but it does need to go through parliament. It's expected to happen late this year or early next - assuming enough independents are on-side of course.

It will be a gradual increase and the full 12% won't be paid until 2019.

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content....tm&page=19&H19
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
It's more than just being talked about.

It is definitely planned but it does need to go through parliament. It's expected to happen late this year or early next - assuming enough independents are on-side of course.

It will be a gradual increase and the full 12% won't be paid until 2019.

http://www.ato.gov.au/super/content....tm&page=19&H19
I guess now they have got the Carbon tax through it should be the next cab of the rank?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

When you get to our age circa 56.... then the Australian Super system is probably one of the greatest things we have participated in. It equates to giving us so much choice and freedom in our future plans, that the world really looks like being our oyster.

Then I look at blokes at my Employer... Aus Post who have been there over 40 years and some of theese guys are pulling in 4 to 5k a month extra on their super each month !

It's almost a rort... because some of these guys have hardly taken any sickies and are probably owed close to 2 years worth of Sick pay... which means they could in theory take as much time off as possible and have close to 100k added to their super over the next two years. Got one guy that is taking over 2 years worth of Long service leave... whilst accruing super at these levels..

There are so many people at Aus post with 500K plus super coming their way, that it's little wonder they want to make every employee Part time...... I'm way behind those guys as I've only been there 17 years.

So based on the above... I doubt if it sustainable... because people can really use the system to their own advantage during the later years of their employment.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
When you get to our age circa 56.... then the Australian Super system is probably one of the greatest things we have participated in. It equates to giving us so much choice and freedom in our future plans, that the world really looks like being our oyster.

Then I look at blokes at my Employer... Aus Post who have been there over 40 years and some of theese guys are pulling in 4 to 5k a month extra on their super each month !

It's almost a rort... because some of these guys have hardly taken any sickies and are probably owed close to 2 years worth of Sick pay... which means they could in theory take as much time off as possible and have close to 100k added to their super over the next two years. Got one guy that is taking over 2 years worth of Long service leave... whilst accruing super at these levels..

There are so many people at Aus post with 500K plus super coming their way, that it's little wonder they want to make every employee Part time...... I'm way behind those guys as I've only been there 17 years.

So based on the above... I doubt if it sustainable... because people can really use the system to their own advantage during the later years of their employment.
But still nowhere near as good as the defined benefit pensions people were offered for the last 30 years.

If they really wanted you to save they wouldn't take 15% tax off your contributions. People bang on about Super as if it's some great idea, it's just a defined contribution scheme that they tax, even the UK don't tax pension contributions ffs.

It's just another scam designed to line bankers pockets.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bingobob777
But still nowhere near as good as the defined benefit pensions people were offered for the last 30 years.

If they really wanted you to save they wouldn't take 15% tax off your contributions. People bang on about Super as if it's some great idea, it's just a defined contribution scheme that they tax, even the UK don't tax pension contributions ffs.

It's just another scam designed to line bankers pockets.

The UK don't tax it going in but they tax it coming out
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The compulsory nature of super is its making. Now have the 4th largest pension pool in the world.

"Australia has had the highest growth in the pension assets to GDP ratio than any other P13 country over the past 10 years."

(Source: http://www.towerswatson.com/australia/press/3764)

The increase to 12% seems like a good thing considering a shortfall in the amount saved is usually seen as the biggest issue.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
The compulsory nature of super is its making. Now have the 4th largest pension pool in the world.

"Australia has had the highest growth in the pension assets to GDP ratio than any other P13 country over the past 10 years."

(Source: http://www.towerswatson.com/australia/press/3764)

The increase to 12% seems like a good thing considering a shortfall in the amount saved is usually seen as the biggest issue.
Probably the only Gillard government policy that I would support is this one. In fact I would make it 15%.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
The compulsory nature of super is its making.
But it fails to police it efficiently.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

With the way the markets of going recently, most of our super is worth about the same as a bag of chips.

Everyone i know in the UK is abandoning private pensions schemes because people are realising the returns are crap. Particularly if you fall into the camp that believes the financial turmoil of the last few years is a long way from ending and may just be begining.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
With the way the markets of going recently, most of our super is worth about the same as a bag of chips.

Everyone i know in the UK is abandoning private pensions schemes because people are realising the returns are crap. Particularly if you fall into the camp that believes the financial turmoil of the last few years is a long way from ending and may just be begining.
There is $1.3-odd trillion in Australian super - hardly the same value as a 'bag of chips'. My super is doing just fine - sure the GFC knocked it about a bit but I'm still ahead.
You can put your super into cash - as easy as filling in a 1-page form. This gives you stability and you still get the awesome tax breaks that are available when withdrawing super. You can self-manage it you want.

I agree that the UK private pension system is a joke.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There is $1.3-odd trillion in Australian super - hardly the same value as a 'bag of chips'. My super is doing just fine - sure the GFC knocked it about a bit but I'm still ahead.
You can put your super into cash - as easy as filling in a 1-page form. This gives you stability and you still get the awesome tax breaks that are available when withdrawing super. You can self-manage it you want.

I agree that the UK private pension system is a joke.
I'm glad yours is as mine has barely moved in recent years. Still haven't made up the loses entirely. Done far better having cash in long term deposits.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Yes it is all well and good if all employers actually pay the super.

How many smaller companies fail to pay with naive employees finding out somewhat too late.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Sure, and lets hope this always improves...but being compulsory is the main point and it has proved a winner for most with the rise to 12% helping even more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.