Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

Old Nov 16th 2006, 9:24 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

Gawd there's a lot to remember here - especially when you are like me and speak first, think later. I think there should be a handbook or something to help people keep out of trouble
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Gawd there's a lot to remember here - especially when you are like me and speak first, think later. I think there should be a handbook or something to help people keep out of trouble
have a look here

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Are all sweets lollys in australia, or is that New Zealand?

Dolly
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Are all sweets lollys in australia, or is that New Zealand?

Dolly
No, they're lollies - they don't belong to lolly!

And if you call someone a sweety you may get a 'knuckle sandwich'.

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:22 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Saying you wear a thong around your b_ _ will get an interesting response.

WW
Not if you've got a foot fetish EH? Notice the EH? Ive noticed the Brisbane EH? over here and Ive caught myself doing it myself but when I say it its like Doing the Lambeth Walk EH..
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
Not if you've got a foot fetish EH? Notice the EH? Ive noticed the Brisbane EH? over here and Ive caught myself doing it myself but when I say it its like Doing the Lambeth Walk EH..
I remember having to finish each sentence in part of a particular county with 'YUH 'so you were understood, eh.

WW
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:32 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for around 10 months now and during conversations have told them how I love having a good root round the markets and shops back home. The other day, a colleague told me her husband likes to check out other peoples skips for anything he can make use of - my reply was "oh so he likes having a good root in other people's rubbish then". Her face completetly changed colour and she shuffled away. I was really confused so I told my husband of this later. He explained to me that rooting is Aussie slang for sex! I'm mortified now and just wondered if there are any other things I shouldn't be saying
Never say "I've got a chubby" to a policewoman (if you're a man)...
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

fings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Never say "I've got a chubby" to a policewoman (if you're a man)...
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
No, they're lollies - they don't belong to lolly!

OzTennis
maybe you're thinking of lolly's if you're indicating the possessive case, rather than the incorrect plural form?

Last edited by ianandhelena; Nov 18th 2006 at 6:18 am.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:17 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveh777
Brilliant thanks - I'll be studying it to avoid any future slipups!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Brilliant thanks - I'll be studying it to avoid any future slipups!
Just looked up a couple and one the girls use at work is a bit confusing. The talk baout people saying they are feral but according to the link, it means ute!!!

Also, I have made the same mistake with root and gobby. Root is on the list but gobby isn't.

I must admit that work are great and don't mind if I make slip ups. They just come and quietly wisper in my ear (especially if a customer is present).

At the end of the day they appreciate the difference.

Debs
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

I've been here for around 10 months now and during conversations have told them how I love having a good root round the markets and shops back home. The other day, a colleague told me her husband likes to check out other peoples skips for anything he can make use of - my reply was "oh so he likes having a good root in other people's rubbish then". Her face completetly changed colour and she shuffled away. I was really confused so I told my husband of this later. He explained to me that rooting is Aussie slang for sex! I'm mortified now and just wondered if there are any other things I shouldn't be saying
Worked in a five star hotel in the USA in my early twenties, a woman came up to me and asked for a "fanny pack", i took the initiative and handed her a sanitary towel. Got a look of total confusion, she turned round and said "what i want is a money bag that wraps round your waist with Velcro at the back"! Just goes to show in different countries some things can be passed as offensive!? The next day at work my boss said to me that she had gone to the cinema and had a sore fanny goes the film lasted so long......had to dig my nails into my side so i did not end myself laughing
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:53 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I'm remember working in a central london man dominated office with a hot day predicted. A young aussie temp lass said loudly that if was getting for hot in the office for pants and that she wouldn't be wearing hers tomorrow... Kept us chaps guessing the next day
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:22 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
the other one to watch out for is 'sprogs'....never ask anyone if they have sprogs as this seems to be used here to mean male emissions!

A colleague nearly choked to death when I said this in passing..
...and have you ever heard a good looking male described as "a real spunk", or even better, "a greak big hunk of spunk"? - like they expect him to particularly virile, or something...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big Galah
...and have you ever heard a good looking male described as "a real spunk", or even better, "a greak big hunk of spunk"? - like they expect him to particularly virile, or something...
yeah, heard that one!!!!!!