Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:38 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

I've been here for around 10 months now and during conversations have told them how I love having a good root round the markets and shops back home. The other day, a colleague told me her husband likes to check out other peoples skips for anything he can make use of - my reply was "oh so he likes having a good root in other people's rubbish then". Her face completetly changed colour and she shuffled away. I was really confused so I told my husband of this later. He explained to me that rooting is Aussie slang for sex! I'm mortified now and just wondered if there are any other things I shouldn't be saying
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie slag that can get you in trouble

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I've been here for around 10 months now and during conversations have told them how I love having a good root round the markets and shops back home. The other day, a colleague told me her husband likes to check out other peoples skips for anything he can make use of - my reply was "oh so he likes having a good root in other people's rubbish then". Her face completetly changed colour and she shuffled away. I was really confused so I told my husband of this later. He explained to me that rooting is Aussie slang for sex! I'm mortified now and just wondered if there are any other things I shouldn't be saying
Theres one Look at your title it says aussie SLAG not aussie slang
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:47 pm

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thanks

Slags, rooting oh Gawd, sex on the brain! Hubby will be happy
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

lol dont worry yourself.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Thanks

would you like it changed.. or is it good as it is?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by gedge
would you like it changed.. or is it good as it is?
Well it's certainly going to get people looking

Think I'd better have it changed though please - thanks!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:37 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Well it's certainly going to get people looking

Think I'd better have it changed though please - thanks!
false advertising i guess, ain't no slag in ere
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I told an Aussie slag's father I'd enjoyed a root around that afternoon. How we laughed.

To be honest, most Aussies would get the idea of it and wouldn't necessarily take offence. He laughed! I think most Poms like to push that one when they are new.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie slang that can get you in trouble

the other one to watch out for is 'sprogs'....never ask anyone if they have sprogs as this seems to be used here to mean male emissions!

A colleague nearly choked to death when I said this in passing..
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
the other one to watch out for is 'sprogs'....never ask anyone if they have sprogs as this seems to be used here to mean male emissions!

bloody hell - a phrase I have used in my time. My bed is always sticky due to a 14 month old sprog I was able to produce with the Missus. Need a nappy change.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pomster

LOL that would have been funny. I near choked when I saw a big lorry drive past me with Frigmobile written on the side of it LOL
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KatieStar
LOL that would have been funny. I near choked when I saw a big lorry drive past me with Frigmobile written on the side of it LOL
Yeah - none of my colleagues had heard of the British useage of fr*g.

Still, they get a laugh when they're in the UK and see a lorry with Superdrug on the side!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:28 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Gobby...... Told my boss the guy I'd just interviewed was gobby (ie talks a lot, bit full of himself).... the 3 (male) managers killed themselves laughing before informing me that it was a term to describe oral sex!

LJJ
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies fresh to the UK got caught out in days of old by asking someone at work to pass the Durex (i.e. Sellotape) which apparently means something else here.

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Saying you wear a thong around your b_ _ will get an interesting response.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.