Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Rules vs Union vs League

Aussie Rules vs Union vs League

Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:21 am
Badge

Default Aussie Rules vs Union vs League

Happened to flip through a men's glossy mag in Berwick this arvo, and happened on a cross-football code article.

According to the 'panel', Rugby League is tougher than Union, more athleticism, less breathers between action. (I'd agree).

AFL is more athletic all round and you can get cleaned out from any direction, but Union and League bigger hits.

I reckon Rugby League is the toughest game, but AFL is the most 'complete'.

They didn't include soccer in the lineup.

badge

Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Aussie Rules vs Union vs League

Gee I wonder why
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:46 am
Badge

Originally Posted by coxfamuk

Gee I wonder why
I remind you that soccer is one of the biggest participation sports in Australia.
Aussies like it, really.

The magazine article was trying to establish 'physicalness' of the games. I suppose soccer could not be assessed as it is mainly skill and athleticism.

I suppose pulling on someone's shirt, and sticking your foot out dangerously is not considered physical.

It is least like the others in many ways I guess. Reminds me of the Sesame Street song, "one of these things is not like the other'.

Badge

Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:58 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Badge...

I hate people calling Aussie Rules Football AFL!

As you probably know, AFL is the top level of Aussie Rules.
OzKick is the competition that children play, which, as in the UK, lets the kids develop their skills.
They then move on to High School Footy, & as in the UK, the scouts are watching.

The best payers may then go on to State Footy. (In WA it's the WAFL).
The best players from State Footy may then get drafted into The AFL.
Even then, if they are not picked to play for their AFL team in a round, they can still play for their WAFL team to keep their skills & fitness up.

Brian, (of, Siren & Brian) knows a lot more about it than me, cos he's played a lot of Footy.
He's probably the best person to ask your question to, cos he's a True Blue Aussie...

Personally, I'd say that Aussie Rules leaves all the other codes standing when it comes to, "toughness"....
I reckon it's not up for debate..!!!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:04 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Scossie
Badge...

I hate people calling Aussie Rules Football AFL!

As you probably know, AFL is the top level of Aussie Rules.
OzKick is the competition that children play, which, as in the UK, lets the kids develop their skills.
They then move on to High School Footy, & as in the UK, the scouts are watching.

The best payers may then go on to State Footy. (In WA it's the WAFL).
The best players from State Footy may then get drafted into The AFL.
Even then, if they are not picked to play for their AFL team in a round, they can still play for their WAFL team to keep their skills & fitness up.

Brian, (of, Siren & Brian) knows a lot more about it than me, cos he's played a lot of Footy.
He's probably the best person to ask your question to, cos he's a True Blue Aussie...

Personally, I'd say that Aussie Rules leaves all the other codes standing when it comes to, "toughness"....
I reckon it's not up for debate..!!!

Sorry, I apalogise..I use AFL for forum convenience. Anyhow, we are trying to compare top flight codes, as often a game can be different at a different level. So I would compare NFL vs AFL vs super 12.

I think AFL is more complete, and tougher in a way, but I still hazard a guess the hits are less hard - although being hit from an unexpected angle hurts. Also Aussie rules footballers are more likely to get rid of the ball before being tackled. Just a guess.

I am starting to come around to AFL now.

cheers.

Badge

Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:08 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Badge
Happened to flip through a men's glossy mag in Berwick this arvo, and happened on a cross-football code article.

According to the 'panel', Rugby League is tougher than Union, more athleticism, less breathers between action. (I'd agree).

AFL is more athletic all round and you can get cleaned out from any direction, but Union and League bigger hits.

I reckon Rugby League is the toughest game, but AFL is the most 'complete'.

badge
I reckon they're about right. You get harder knocks in league and more often, but you know where they are coming from, whereas in Aussie Rules you don't.

A.