Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Rules????

Aussie Rules????

Old May 15th 2004, 9:30 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 103
anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

You're not into snooker then?
Jeez, you got me. I have been throwing around that line about high scores for years - and never thought about snooker.

I love the game.

Mea culpa
anzen12 is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 9:39 pm
  #17  
o_0
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Northern Rivers
Posts: 1,642
Peter will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by elbow
Nah, you wanna go with the mighty St Kilda, unbeaten after 8 games. They are the "Arsenal" of AFL. Go Saints!
As much as I despise Arsenal, comparing them to perennial losers like St. Kilda is a bit much.

Arsenal, after all, tend to win league championships. St. Kilda fluked their first and only in 1966 with that Breen wobbly kick.
Peter is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 9:39 pm
  #18  
What's happening dudes?
 
wmoore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Bayside Brisbane
Posts: 20,647
wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by anzen12
Jeez, you got me. I have been throwing around that line about high scores for years - and never thought about snooker.

I love the game.

Mea culpa

But I like AFL. Been watching it for a while and love it's simplicity over something like football (sorry, can't get to call it soccer just yet). No offside rule, passive or active, etc. Loads of thundering tackles and a goal every few minutes. What more could you want?

Last edited by wmoore; May 15th 2004 at 9:46 pm.
wmoore is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 9:42 pm
  #19  
PommieLeague
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

AFL aka Aerial ping pong!!!

What a daft sport that they cut off the sleeves from the jerseys!
 
Old May 15th 2004, 9:45 pm
  #20  
o_0
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Northern Rivers
Posts: 1,642
Peter will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by Lathlain
AFL aka Aerial ping pong!!!

What a daft sport that they cut off the sleeves from the jerseys!
It makes the girls go ooohhh. Especially if there's a hero like Matty Lloyd on the ground!
Peter is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 9:53 pm
  #21  
PommieLeague
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally posted by Ulujain
It makes the girls go ooohhh. Especially if there's a hero like Matty Lloyd on the ground!
Nar heres a real hero in the footy world mate: Joey Johns

 
Old May 15th 2004, 9:54 pm
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 103
anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by wmoore
But I like AFL. Been watching it for a while and love it's simplicity over something like football (sorry, can't get to call it soccer just yet). No offside rule, passive or active, etc. Loads of thundering tackles and a goal every few minutes. What more could you want?
I don't know - just doesn't work for me. I have the same reaction to American football and baseball.

Give me a fast, skillful game of football (the real football) or five days of test cricket (and a very comfortable chair) and I'm a happy man.

Must be a culture thing.
anzen12 is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 9:58 pm
  #23  
What's happening dudes?
 
wmoore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Bayside Brisbane
Posts: 20,647
wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by anzen12
I don't know - just doesn't work for me. I have the same reaction to American football and baseball.

Give me a fast, skillful game of football (the real football) or five days of test cricket (and a very comfortable chair) and I'm a happy man.

Must be a culture thing.
Test cricket? Give me a couiple of Moggadon
wmoore is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 10:02 pm
  #24  
o_0
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Northern Rivers
Posts: 1,642
Peter will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally posted by anzen12
I don't know - just doesn't work for me. I have the same reaction to American football and baseball.

Give me a fast, skillful game of football (the real football) or five days of test cricket (and a very comfortable chair) and I'm a happy man.

Must be a culture thing.
I've been in the US six years and still cannot think of American Football as anything other than Men in Tights. Stops and starts far too much to be an enjoyable sport for me.

Baseball is just hit and run cricket anyway.
Peter is offline  
Old May 15th 2004, 10:08 pm
  #25  
What's happening dudes?
 
wmoore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Bayside Brisbane
Posts: 20,647
wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by Ulujain
I've been in the US six years and still cannot think of American Football as anything other than Men in Tights. Stops and starts far too much to be an enjoyable sport for me.

Baseball is just hit and run cricket anyway.
I must admit to watching the Superbowl if I can stay awake that late (last year I woke just as the commentator screamed "and it's all over") but only for the spectacle. The Americans know how to make a spectacle of an event but the game doesn't appeal to me at all.
wmoore is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.