aussie rocks!!!

Old May 5th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of
Default aussie rocks!!!

i know everyone has different music tastes but what aussie bands have made an impact on you since moving to aus...any great gigs youve been to, bands to recommend

my favs
the rootsy sounds of john butler,xavier rudd n ash grunwald are all good but some more less known ones like jeff lang and 8 ball Aitken are even better,
jeff lang live is amazing , the best guitar player ive seen in a long time
8 ball does some good swampy blues type stuff

wolfmother were great live when they first came on the scene a few years ago, interesting to see what the new line up will sound like when they get around to recording,
other rock/alt bands worth a mention,
grinspoon,eskimo joe, neon, spiderbait, kram, the vines,british india,tex perkins cruel sea and the mess hall
wolf and cub from south australia do some good psycadellic rock and will be on tour with new album soon, ill be checking them out as the albums got a nice groove
my personal fav`s since been here are perth band the panics

not too keen on the aussie hip hop thats ever so popular, but brisbane band the serenity do some nice beats with flutes n things, not sure if there still going

as for gigs, the woodford folk festival is about the closest thing to glastonbury ive been to and a great way to spend the new year

local pub band max judo put some good shows on at the local tavern and know how to work the crowd and play some cool didj

all in all i find the live music scene pretty good out here, you dont get the big international artist unless your in the city but check out some of the local acts and you may be supprised and the bands that dont get played much on jjj are usually the best
Old May 5th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: aussie rocks!!!

Only really 'discovered' Kasey Chambers since coming to Oz as I was pretty much upto speed with a lot of the local bands anyway.

One band I'd heard very good things about, but was hugely disappointed with when seeing them is 'Snowmen'. Shocking.

Also check out The Presets. Very good.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
not too keen on the aussie hip hop thats ever so popular, but brisbane band the serenity do some nice beats with flutes n things, not sure if there still going
I think aussie hip-hop and dance music is the most interesting, vibrant and inventive part of the whole (otherwise backwards) Australian music scene.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
the rootsy sounds of john butler,
...not an Aussie band
Old May 5th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

First started out in Fremantle and is pretty much Australian.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
First started out in Fremantle and is pretty much Australian.
Correct! Moved to the US like most decent Aussie artists have to do unfortunately (or UK).

Not really into a lot of Aussie artists but saw him play at the Leeuwin Winery a couple of years ago and he was great. Fantastic guitar player. Was supported by The Waifs, another home grown WA band who are quite good. Think they have ended up in London!!
Old May 5th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

There's a fantastic Melbourne band called The Go Set.

I suppose you would call them Celtic punk! A bit of Stiff Little Fingers meets Dropkick Murphys meets the Pogues, I guess! They have a bagpipe player, so are a little bit folky, but their live shows are pure punk rock!!!

They are always touring around the country - they are playing the East Brunswick Club in Melbourne this Friday - so if it sounds like your kind of thing then check them out. www.thegoset.com.au

I also love an Aussie singer-songwriter called Carus Thompson. He's Melbourne based now but is from WA.
He's totally different from The Go Set - a very chilled, laid-back vibe, quite John Butler-ish, I suppose. He's at his best when he plays live acoustically, but is also good when he goes out with a band. www.carus.com.au

Both definitely worth seeing if ever you get the chance
Old May 5th 2009, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
I think aussie hip-hop and dance music is the most interesting, vibrant and inventive part of the whole (otherwise backwards) Australian music scene.
i agree that oz hip hop definitely has its own distinct sound and i must admit i think its a lot better than the uk RnB type hip hop , but ive only given bands like the herd , hilltophoods ,1200 techniques and the serenity a listen
same with the dance stuff ,went to a few "doofs" south of sydney about 5 years ago, but 12 hours of psy/goa trance with dodgy mixing does your head in after a bit.so would love to know whats out there....any recommendations?