Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Rentals with a Dog? ........

Aussie Rentals with a Dog? ........

Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Aussie Rentals with a Dog? ........

Or maybe dogs in Oz in general ?

I plan to be out in Oz at the latter part of the year. I will be lookin to rent for over 2 years and have been enquiring about problems bringing a dog with me. Now I'll cut & paste a line from one of my replies, and my question is simple, is this the case in Oz??

as we do say that all pets must be outside only

Oh dear! I have a 3 yr old Staffy who loves the outside, especially when warm, but also loves it indoors too. He's NEVER slept outside even in the middle of summer! I doubt it'll really bother him if it REALLY has to be that way, but he's gonna be goin thru a major change with it all as it is, let alone being kept outdoors all the time

Surely this ISN'T the case! ............ is it ?
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:43 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aussie Rentals with a Dog? ........

Tis true I'm afraid. We had the same issues when looking for a rental home.

We eventually rented a "dogs kept outside only" property, so now when the agency come to do their 6 monthly check-ups on the condition of the house, we have to go through the preparation of putting their crates and all other dog evidence outside, even though they live inside

I think if you have a pet that doesn't wreck the joint you'll be fine. The contract states that the agents/landlord have to give you at least 24 hours' notice before they can enter the house, so you should have plenty of time to de-dogify it!

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Hi Ozger, and thanks for the reply

My dog is not a house wrecker thankfully. He's never chewed a thing indoors apart from what he's given, altho know ppl that aint so lucky, so that should help. Sounds like i'll hopefully be able to do a bit of 'de-dogifying' meself knowing they have to give you 24hrs. I don't know if this is the rule in Oz, or one of your own landlords requirements, but maybe the case with all, I hope so.

I wonder tho, given the choice he might be happy to live outdoors, I wonder how many ppl's dogs do anyway??
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Hi Ozger, and thanks for the reply

My dog is not a house wrecker thankfully. He's never chewed a thing indoors apart from what he's given, altho know ppl that aint so lucky, so that should help. Sounds like i'll hopefully be able to do a bit of 'de-dogifying' meself knowing they have to give you 24hrs. I don't know if this is the rule in Oz, or one of your own landlords requirements, but maybe the case with all, I hope so.

I wonder tho, given the choice he might be happy to live outdoors, I wonder how many ppl's dogs do anyway??
In Australia most people i know who have dogs- they live outside. Mainly because of the climate but also because people themselves spend so much more time outside. Before i visited and was told this i thought it was sooooo cruel but having been it really isnt so bad. Dogs seem very happy (as would obviously live outside in the wild) its just a cultural difference
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:17 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to be out in Oz at the latter part of the year. I will be lookin to rent for over 2 years and have been enquiring about problems bringing a dog with me. Now I'll cut & paste a line from one of my replies, and my question is simple, is this the case in Oz??

Oh dear! I have a 3 yr old Staffy who loves the outside, especially when warm, but also loves it indoors too. He's NEVER slept outside even in the middle of summer! I doubt it'll really bother him if it REALLY has to be that way, but he's gonna be goin thru a major change with it all as it is, let alone being kept outdoors all the time

Think I summed it up on page 10 of this forum on 26th Jan as no-one has corrected me. Basically tells what has to happen while renting with pets. May want o check it out.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Where are you going to live? We were in Perth and did not really have too much bother-not as much as when we came back to the Uk-now that was a nightmare-and I thought the Uk was dog friendly!

Look around and you will be ok-our dog would never live outside!

Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Think I summed it up on page 10 of this forum on 26th Jan as no-one has corrected me. Basically tells what has to happen while renting with pets. May want o check it out.
I'll have a look now, thanks.

deserate2go

In Australia most people i know who have dogs- they live outside. Mainly because of the climate but also because people themselves spend so much more time outside. Before i visited and was told this i thought it was sooooo cruel but having been it really isnt so bad. Dogs seem very happy (as would obviously live outside in the wild) its just a cultural difference
Yeah you know the more I think about it, I wonder if he'll prefer it anyway! maybe your right. He loves the heat, that I know, but maybe it'll be better too for him sleeping in the fresh air too!

Never know, I might join him!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Never know, I might join him![/QUOTE]

That will certainly save you some money on a house ..double kennel with pool
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Never know, I might join him!
That will certainly save you some money on a house ..double kennel with pool [/QUOTE]

Sounds quite cozy doesn't it! ...lol
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi,

we are renting in perth and have a 6 month boxer puppy.
Tho house owner was fine about us having the pup.
He is definately a 'house' dog. As soon as we come in so does he.
I 'sit on the fence' about keeping dogs outside, one of the reasons is that it gets so hot. We always apply sun lotion to our pup when we go leave him ouside.
He also has a kennel to use, but we have found that this accumalates loads of creepy crawlies, and seeing as he has already had 2 visits to the local vet after having being bitten, I dont encourage him in there.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Greenhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

oh no.

i have 3 dogs.

can't believe such thinking (dogs are kept outside only) exists !
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:47 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry guys - having relatives in Brisbane/ Sunshine Coast who emigrated with dogs there are definately rental properties that will accept an indoor dog if its well trained - a discussion I had before on this forum came up with the statistic that around 45-50% rentals will accept a dog. So ok you won't have as big a choice of rentals but its only short term anyway - I intend on building my own house asap (6 months after arriving anyway).
The Australians are more used to dogs being outdoors but there is also a big % of people who love their dogs just as much as we do.

Poppy (my collie x) will not be becoming a full time outdoors dog - i'm sure she will like it during the day when we are at work but when we get in she spends time with us and follows us everywhere! All i'm worrying about is getting a rental that takes a dog AND Airconditioning!!!!!

Lynn