Wikiposts

aussie pubs

Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:11 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I've seen more life in our 'Back Yard' when we have a barbie than I've seen in the pubs here!!
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly miss the English beer garden too. (Warning: Obligatory Australian weather mention coming up) You'd think that with the beautiful weather over here that there would be more beer gardens, however I think the brown grass and red skin that would result puts people off building them.

There are some bloody dire pubs here; pokies abound, pensioners chainsmoking pumping their savings/pension into the machines.

However, there are also some great pubs, most of which are frequented by the 18 - 40 crowd rather than old men sitting at the bar avoiding their wives. They're not meat-markets either.

I'll agree though that most drinking seems to be done at parties and bbqs (phew, no PB to drone on about how barbies are all boring). It may just be my crowd, but people tend to be pretty good about not drink-driving here.

N
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nara
I certainly miss the English beer garden too. (Warning: Obligatory Australian weather mention coming up) You'd think that with the beautiful weather over here that there would be more beer gardens, however I think the brown grass and red skin that would result puts people off building them.

There are some bloody dire pubs here; pokies abound, pensioners chainsmoking pumping their savings/pension into the machines.

However, there are also some great pubs, most of which are frequented by the 18 - 40 crowd rather than old men sitting at the bar avoiding their wives. They're not meat-markets either.

I'll agree though that most drinking seems to be done at parties and bbqs (phew, no PB to drone on about how barbies are all boring). It may just be my crowd, but people tend to be pretty good about not drink-driving here.

N
I went to Northbridge in Perth a few weeks ago, superb night, some great pubs.

Fortunately pokies are banned in WA.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 5:24 am
dazuk

Then again there is the chance to go to an RSL/Leagues club type venue and marvel at the joy of purchasing raffle tickets in order to win a frozen chicken(sorry chook).

Who needs Britans lively atmospheric chatty pub life when you can move yourself to nowheresville and enjoy the said above???

keep on kidding yourselves, Im lying to you, Aus is a fantastic and interseting place.

Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:11 pm
Badge

local pubs can sometimes be dire - full of fat overweight geezers all talking over each other - there are aspects of pub life over here that aren't that great - in the RSLs I found that people were interested to hear your story and seemed genuine...and were patient etc

there are bars you know in Aussie cities!!! more like the fashionable ones in the uK!!

badgers

Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:11 pm
Badge

local pubs can sometimes be dire - full of fat overweight geezers all talking over each other - there are aspects of pub life over here that aren't that great - in the RSLs I found that people were interested to hear your story and seemed genuine...and were patient etc

there are bars you know in Aussie cities!!! more like the fashionable ones in the uK!!

badgers