Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie plug/adaptors

Aussie plug/adaptors

Old Jul 30th 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Aussie plug/adaptors

Just in case anybody requires to purchase any aussie/British plug travel adaptors then the post office has them on sale. We thought it would be one less thing that we will have to get straight away.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie plug/adaptors

Originally Posted by karenjc
Just in case anybody requires to purchase any aussie/British plug travel adaptors then the post office has them on sale. We thought it would be one less thing that we will have to get straight away.
hi,

just dreaming of plug adaptors all that seems a long way off!!!!!

steve
Old Jul 30th 2005, 3:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Luggage and travel goods shops are also a good place to get hold of adaptors.

Normal electrical shops will have UK socket boards which are worth taking to reduce your need for plug adaptors (just don't overload them).

Jeremy
Old Jul 30th 2005, 3:55 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

We got quite a few off eBay. Very good value.

D D
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:25 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Just so you know.

A lot travel adaptors are for use with non-earthed appliances. This is important as some of them switch the live and neutral around.

It is also worth getting some four way power strips and changing the plug when you get to Oz (note, you're supposed to get an electrician to do this). This is particularly handy for things like computers; TV, video, DVD; and Hi-Fi. It is probably worth getting ones with surge protectors as the power supply in some parts of Oz can be unreliable.

A
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kirsty&al]Just so you know.

A lot travel adaptors are for use with non-earthed appliances. This is important as some of them switch the live and neutral around.

I didn't realise that! Ask a silly question, but how do you tell which adaptors are for use with earthed/non-earthed appliances?
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:38 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick warning to you all coming from the UK. I have had 2 near fires start by plugging a UK fanfire (2kw) and a 1.5kw oil heater into Aussie wall sockets via a 2 pin UK to Aus adaptor. The 2 pin adaptors overheat and melt and burn both the adaptor and wall socket. I tried the same devices on a 15A Australian power extension lead and the same happened so it seems to be down to the adaptors. Bring plenty of 4 way extension leads and fit them with Australian plugs, this will see you through the 1st year or so, also you *will* definitely prefer your UK plugs anyway.

One last thing you can only get 10A Australian plugs out here and they don’t readily like being squeezed onto a normal UK 13A power lead. The 2 wire radio or CD type leads are fine but not the thicker 13A leads, you can do it but it never quite feels right again after.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by JAllen
I didn't realise that! Ask a silly question, but how do you tell which adaptors are for use with earthed/non-earthed appliances?
It usually says on them, or they only have 2 Aussie pins (non-earth variety).

I didn't realise until I used one for the washing machine. I was just checking that it was working before putting a new plug on. Although the machine would come on, the motor wouldn't turn. It worked fine after the plug was changed.

A
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
It usually says on them, or they only have 2 Aussie pins (non-earth variety).

I didn't realise until I used one for the washing machine. I was just checking that it was working before putting a new plug on. Although the machine would come on, the motor wouldn't turn. It worked fine after the plug was changed.

A
Ah, right you are. Thanks for the advice, v. handy to know
Old Jul 31st 2005, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by JAllen
Ah, right you are. Thanks for the advice, v. handy to know
That's okay. Personally I had only 2 adaptors and about 6 of the 4-way strips, and had no problems. Remember you can always plug the 4-way into the adaptor when you first arrive - before the plug is changed.

Another reason for having the 4-way strips is for appliances which have a large transformer as part of the plug - the pins on Aussie plugs are smaller and one of these heavy things plugged into an adaptor will be precariously hanging off the wall.

A