Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Open v's Wimbledon

Wikiposts

Aussie Open v's Wimbledon

Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Aussie Open v's Wimbledon

Went to our first Aussie open today as we had promised ourselves we would when we arrived. Sat in sunny UK last year watching it and promised ourselves we would go to it next year. Goal achieved.

We have also been to quarter finals of Wimbledon a few years ago but think that the Aussie open is that little bit better. Might be something to do with watching it in 33 degrees without the worry of rain, or maybe the fact that they play to a finish and don't worry about the light. Not sure but it does feel to be a better tournament.

Anyone got any thoughts on it.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:02 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aussie Open v's Wimbledon

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Went to our first Aussie open today as we had promised ourselves we would when we arrived. Sat in sunny UK last year watching it and promised ourselves we would go to it next year. Goal achieved.

We have also been to quarter finals of Wimbledon a few years ago but think that the Aussie open is that little bit better. Might be something to do with watching it in 33 degrees without the worry of rain, or maybe the fact that they play to a finish and don't worry about the light. Not sure but it does feel to be a better tournament.

Different countries, different surface, different comp. No comparison - I just love tennis whenever and whereever it's on! I'm still mourning the loss of Dan Maskell - the tennis equivalent of Richie Benaut (sp?)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by webgum
Different countries, different surface, different comp. No comparison - I just love tennis whenever and whereever it's on! I'm still mourning the loss of Dan Maskell - the tennis equivalent of Richie Benaut (sp?)
They certainly love tennis over here, the atmosphere is great. Melbourne what a great city for sport, so much going on this year. Can't believe I've got the chance to see so much top quality sport.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:18 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

They certainly love tennis over here, the atmosphere is great. Melbourne what a great city for sport, so much going on this year. Can't believe I've got the chance to see so much top quality sport.
It's great isn't it. I'm not working and every chance I get, I'm stuck in front of the telly. Just a shame I'm in Perth, and watching it a few hours after it happened. Hey ho.

The first time I watched the tennis over here was in 1990 - still on grass I think. I had broken my coccyx, couldn't work, so watched back to back tennis and commonwealth games. Couldn't get over Bob Hawke in the commentary box when the Bowls was on - you wouldn't have had Maggie doing that!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Is this thread right up my street or what!!

Strangely (for an Aussie), I've been to Wimbledon but not (yet) to the Australian Open - something though to do with living and working in Scotland and not getting any holidays for the 2 weeks of the Australian Open.

The time I went to Wimbledon was magic so I haven't been again. Through my contacts I was able to get centre court seats for 3 days in the former players box at the opposite end to the Royal Box. We spent a couple of days chatting to Mr and Mrs Ken Rosewall and had a number of previous winners in front and behind who I got talking to - American and French winners you wouldn't have heard of from another era.

Mr and Mrs OzT have also had the privilege to play at Wimbledon (and Melbourne Park too). Not THE tournament but the junior event in her case and a Scotland vs All England match in my case. We got to use the main changing rooms, dine in the restaurant, play on all the main courts apart from the 2 show courts and it was just sensational.

At the risk of boring everyone I'll post some piccies from Wimbers later today in this thread.

I agree that they are different - time of year, surface, atmosphere etc and I wouldn't like to say which is 'better'.

Just to finish for now, in case you don't know the courts at Melbourne Park (except the Rod Laver Arena) are available for hire 50 weeks of the year - I'm not sure what they do the other 2 weeks! We've hired Margaret Court, Show Courts 2 and 3 and various outside courts. Very reasonable rates too. I'll post the phone number and if you make a booking, be sure to ask for a show court - providing they are not being used they'll let you go on.

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:18 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

The $25 ground pass must be the best value ticket of the year, I love it.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Some Wimbledon inner sanctum photos as promised - Members Lounge, the steps leading up to centre court (with trophy cabinet and Kipling's famous verse - no, Rudyard not Mr) and in the players summer room.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-10-members-tv-lounge.jpg   Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-6-stairs-2.jpg   Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-7-kiplings-verse.jpg   Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-8-summer-room-before-morning-tea.jpg   Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-9-summer-room-trophy-cabinet.jpg  

Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And some views from the players balcony.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-11-view-players-balcony.jpg   Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-12-view-players-balcony.jpg   Aussie Open v's Wimbledon-13-view-players-balcony.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I can find them I'll post some Melbourne Park piccies tomorrow. My friend's son has been picked to represent Australia in the Kia Cup next week which is run in conjunction with the Open and is for players not on the main tour. He is playing a few days at Kooyong, a few days at Melbourne Park, is going to the players Ball (tennis Ball!) and he will see all the finals.

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:48 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hope i get lucky with the Wimbledon ballot again this yr...the last few yrs I've got tickets for the finals...love the atmosphere of Wimbledon....rain an' all
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:21 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hope i get lucky with the Wimbledon ballot again this yr...the last few yrs I've got tickets for the finals...love the atmosphere of Wimbledon....rain an' all

You just love Cliff Richard.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:40 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
You just love Cliff Richard.
lol oh yeah listening to cliff while we're drinking our champers in the rain...how did you guess...ttfn
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have been to Wimbledon and Aus Open and I prefer the Oz open. There is more room, more seats, fewer people. You can go on Saturday and are guaranteed to see a decent game - at wimbledon you are lucky if you see a ball person, let alone a game. And...we are going to Men's final which I am very excited about (it's fairly easy to get tickets, wake up early the day they go on sale and just keep ringing whereas at Wimbledon you need to be some sort of royalty, I assume). Anyway, just my observation. Oh, but I prefered watching Wimbledon on the telly
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:12 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Wimbledon, but without doubt it's has the most prestige so is the bette tournament.

I saw Henman the other day and I have to say I felt sorry for Tursanov and all credit to him for winning as he was getting abused.

I had centre court tickets and only watched four games of Roddick on there to constant come on Andy, I love you Andy every two seconds and I left.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraser
I've never been to Wimbledon, but without doubt it's has the most prestige so is the bette tournament.

I saw Henman the other day and I have to say I felt sorry for Tursanov and all credit to him for winning as he was getting abused.

I had centre court tickets and only watched four games of Roddick on there to constant come on Andy, I love you Andy every two seconds and I left.
Did you shout "C'mon Tim" in your best girlie voice. That used to get on my thrupny bits.

Not sure if prestige would be enough to make it a better tournament. Plenty of factors to consider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.