Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all
Default Re: Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

vodafone $79 cap - unlimited texts/pmx etc national and international, $800 woth of 'credit' and free calls to vodafane and 3.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I pay $39 a month with 3 which gets me only $150 of calls + free calls to 3 + 2GB of data. My missus has the same so calls between us (i.e. most of my calls) are free and the $150 covers all the rest - including calls back to the UK which ludicrously are only slightly more expensive than local calls.

plus with the total 4 GB allowance between us we can hook our mobiles up to the computer and thats our internet use too. So for 80 bucks a months we get all our phone and internet use for both of us - which isn't too bad.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I pay $39 a month with 3 which gets me only $150 of calls + free calls to 3 + 2GB of data. My missus has the same so calls between us (i.e. most of my calls) are free and the $150 covers all the rest - including calls back to the UK which ludicrously are only slightly more expensive than local calls.

plus with the total 4 GB allowance between us we can hook our mobiles up to the computer and thats our internet use too. So for 80 bucks a months we get all our phone and internet use for both of us - which isn't too bad.
On our recent visit to the UK I found mobile phone plans/costs to be similar to here. Telstra NextG network is very good and has extensive coverage - even in very remote area (our mine sites in the Pilbara have it). Interestingly, when we were in the UK I was talking to a friend who had just come back from camping in the New Forest and he could not get a mobile signal there.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Myself and my GF are not going back to 3 after they decided to remove 3 like home without telling us. Our bills went from £30 a month to £700. They were UK mobile plans which we bought before coming here, 500 mins a month to any network. Those minutes included calls back to the UK as long as you were roaming on a global 3 network (which oz has). They removed the service and the calls back to the UK went from free to £1.50 a minute!!
Its anyone except 3 for us!! Shame as we did get 2 years of free calls to UK mobiles from oz which was great
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Myself and my GF are not going back to 3 after they decided to remove 3 like home without telling us. Our bills went from £30 a month to £700. They were UK mobile plans which we bought before coming here, 500 mins a month to any network. Those minutes included calls back to the UK as long as you were roaming on a global 3 network (which oz has). They removed the service and the calls back to the UK went from free to £1.50 a minute!!
Its anyone except 3 for us!! Shame as we did get 2 years of free calls to UK mobiles from oz which was great
Ouch...I hope you got some money back!

The 3 customer service is awful to be fair. I probably won't stick with them once my deal runs out, I only got 12 months with them anyway.

Another of my real annoyances is the insistence on 2 year deals here with everything. When technology is improving so fast its ludicrous to be tied to one tariff for that long.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch...I hope you got some money back!

The 3 customer service is awful to be fair. I probably won't stick with them once my deal runs out, I only got 12 months with them anyway.

Another of my real annoyances is the insistence on 2 year deals here with everything. When technology is improving so fast its ludicrous to be tied to one tariff for that long.

Yes, and it's rare that they will extend the warranty of the phone beyond 1 year too. So you could end up paying for a plan with a phone that packs up out of warranty...

S
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Good job it isn't all providers though, as I wouldn't be prepared to get one if I was tied to 1 year, let alone 2 years.

Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Good job it isn't all providers though, as I wouldn't be prepared to get one if I was tied to 1 year, let alone 2 years.
Which mobile and internet providers offer non-fixed contracts? I'd be very interested even if you get slightly less for your money.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:38 am
ABCDiamond

Which mobile and internet providers offer non-fixed contracts? I'd be very interested even if you get slightly less for your money.
19th June 2010
Some example NON-CONTRACT POST PAID plan prices:

Low user:
$ 9.99 TPG Starter
$10.00 My plan
$12.00 Think Simple 12
$19.00 not named
Medium User:
$ 19.99 TPG Mobil 49 Cap Saver
$ 35.00 3 Mobile $35 Cap
$ 38.10 My Plan
$ 46.07 Not Named

Heavy User:
$ 79.99 TPG Executive
$ 99.00 Virgin Mobile $99 plan
$598.10 Gotalk Big Talk Cap 800
$844.61 My Plan

Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

They gave us 200 quid off our bills. We took them to the ombudsman Otelo who ruled in 3's favour. Basically they said they informed everyone by txt message!! Like thats a guaranteed form of communication between countries!! Myself and GF never received it. They had our mailing address and email and obviously phone numbers not a peep from them. Even though our bills have been consistently the same I would expect any decent company to advise us we were racking up huge bills! What was strange though is they had blocked sending txts from our phones due to our huge bills but still allowed us to make calls. Thats how we phone out what had happened, when we phoned the helpline to ask why we couldnt send a txt message.
God 3 support are terrible, some India call centre. The only people we dealt with after spending hours on the phone to them and getting nowhere was the exec office in Glasgow. That were just as useless although at least the conversation was more tolerable.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Is that Voda to Voda minutes? or Voda to any landline or mobile network minutes?
It is to any landline or mobile network and we get 360 minutes between the two phones on the plan as well.