Aussie Manners

Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

jo-n-keith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie Manners

Bit of a random question, i know....but....in terms of the "general" behaviour of children in Oz, are they well mannered?

I know everywhere has their problems including problem children, and i also know there are lots of well behaved children in the UK so i don't mean to sound as if i'm generalising, but i'm talking about the loutish, hoody teenagers with nothing better to do then cause trouble, and anti-social behaviour or drink/drug taking due to boredom and lack of discipline. This problem seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Is it the same in Australia?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:41 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Manners

Quick answer: yes.

It's a bit of a paradox: most schools have small children wear simple uniforms and it's refreshing to see them relatively neat and tidy - but the youf scene is different.

Only yesterday we were treated to CCTV video of a Canadian tourist in a wheelchair being attacked by two yobs of less than thirteen. They used a metal bit of his own wheelchair, smashed his scull and stomped on him as he was lying on the ground for several minutes.

Yes, it happens everywhere now. They've just done research which says tha longterm exposure to violence on TV and video games makes kids violent.

You don't say! Who'd have thunk it?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jo-n-keith
Bit of a random question, i know....but....in terms of the "general" behaviour of children in Oz, are they well mannered?

I know everywhere has their problems including problem children, and i also know there are lots of well behaved children in the UK so i don't mean to sound as if i'm generalising, but i'm talking about the loutish, hoody teenagers with nothing better to do then cause trouble, and anti-social behaviour or drink/drug taking due to boredom and lack of discipline. This problem seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Oh not one of those threads again..of course they are the same in OZ, kids are kids.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:50 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Does this answer youe question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CZSbdaUdrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Ch9...eature=related

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 10th 2010 at 7:57 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Quick answer: yes.

It's a bit of a paradox: most schools have small children wear simple uniforms and it's refreshing to see them relatively neat and tidy - but the youf scene is different.

Only yesterday we were treated to CCTV video of a Canadian tourist in a wheelchair being attacked by two yobs of less than thirteen. They used a metal bit of his own wheelchair, smashed his scull and stomped on him as he was lying on the ground for several minutes.

Yes, it happens everywhere now. They've just done research which says tha longterm exposure to violence on TV and video games makes kids violent.

You don't say! Who'd have thunk it?
And then came along Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:05 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

YES
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:36 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie manners in general fall way behind UK manners. On a trip in your local supermarket see how many people aknowledge simple acts.

However its not the be all and end all of everything. Your kids manners are pretty much dictated by you. Till they get to an age when they realise you know nothing about the world they are growing up in as you where created in a vacum last wednesday.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Aussie manners in general fall way behind UK manners. On a trip in your local supermarket see how many people aknowledge simple acts.

However its not the be all and end all of everything. Your kids manners are pretty much dictated by you. Till they get to an age when they realise you know nothing about the world they are growing up in as you where created in a vacum last wednesday.
what a load of cobblers
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:20 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia

Then they get to twenty-five and can see how much you've learned over the previous ten years <g>.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve noticed here people don’t seem to give up their seats on buses or trains for old people, pregnant women or disabled people. And people seem really shocked when you hold the door open for them.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:46 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

depends where you live - there are inner city crap holes and there are nice suburbs - its same as anywhere else.

overall i'd say that in UK - you walk in fear of local gangs of youths who would (according to the daily mail) wreak terror and havoc upon you with their knife wielding glue sniffing shenanigans.

I can honeslty say in brisbane that the single worst experience of discomfort when nearing teenagers (now that Im 39) was being told that I had "nice abs" as I jogged past them in what i now know was too tight lycra for my beer belly.

Personally I think the manners here are great. Shop assistants ask "hows your day been" and some are interested and kind, and some are doing it becaue the auto-prompter on the till tells them to. Very Very few are ignorant.

Yeah people dont acknowledge when you let them in in traffic -because its what you its not a favour it just how people drive. You dont get Lorry drivers blocking the left hand lane of a motorway to stop people shooting the inside in a jam and merging right.

My two penneth and Im sure that others will have diametrically opposed comments and views.

Your own kids behaviour is more about your treatment of them than anything else.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Yeah people dont acknowledge when you let them in in traffic -because its what you its not a favour it just how people drive.
Well I've certainly got a diametrically opposing view to that! You must live in a different Brisbane to the one I lived in!

Personally I think people are similarly mannered to the UK...the major exception being once they get into their cars!

As for the kids...when I still lived in the UK 'hoodies' were flavour of the month in the tabloids...I lived in various parts of London and can't say my life was ever blighted. Clearly other people will have had experiences, even like the one Wol described in Sydney. One place I have lived that I would say was blighted by roaming packs of anti-social kids was Glasgow. Got a bit of a shock last week though when I saw a group of kids in Sydney dressed as near as dammit identical to Glasgow 'neds' and with an attitude to match - they were shoplifting in Safeway.

And as far as drugs go...I find the recreational use to be even more prevalent here...just based on people I know, what they do & what they've done.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:06 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well I've certainly got a diametrically opposing view to that! You must live in a different Brisbane to the one I lived in!

Personally I think people are similarly mannered to the UK...the major exception being once they get into their cars!
As for the kids...when I still lived in the UK 'hoodies' were flavour of the month in the tabloids...I lived in various parts of London and can't say my life was ever blighted. Clearly other people will have had experiences, even like the one Wol described in Sydney. One place I have lived that I would say was blighted by roaming packs of anti-social kids was Glasgow. Got a bit of a shock last week though when I saw a group of kids in Sydney dressed as near as dammit identical to Glasgow 'neds' and with an attitude to match - they were shoplifting in Safeway.

And as far as drugs go...I find the recreational use to be even more prevalent here...just based on people I know, what they do & what they've done.
this is so very true
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Interestingly although I would say the driving is a bit worse here it is much easier to get out at junctions and so on. Also, in a big queue of traffic it is easy to just zip up the empty lane and cut in at the head of the queue, they will always let you in. I should point out I only do this if I am in a hurry!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:13 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that since we've all moved onto motorists rather than teenagers you can read something into that as well :-)

Teenagers are great - adults are gits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.