Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Dream Over??

Aussie Dream Over??

Old Dec 11th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Dream Over??

I spent eight years in New Zealand and have read the posts with interest. Since when do freeways make us happy, lots of night clubs, etc etc, its who we are and I enjoyed myself in NZ and made a lot of friends.

The older houses are cold and so were they in the UK in the era they were built and like everywhere landlords do not do them up but just take the rent. The wooden houses are because of earthquakes.

I am amused that everyone talks about places being backward, I think the word should be "different" as everyone has different ideas of what makes a good life.

Last edited by Petals; Dec 11th 2009 at 4:37 am. Reason: sense
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:13 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Kind of disagree, while on balance more NZ emigrants end up doing non-professional work, a large percentage of them are in professional occupations. The growing Australian economy would be severely hit if this immigration was suddenly restricted.

It's the 'dumb' end that the Aussies complain about and these are the same Aussies that wouldn't want Poms or Indians doing the jobs either. Plenty of Kiwis in Australia that are professors, doctors, nurses, CEO's etc.

Yes, other countries could supply immigrants with the same skills, but that's not how things work in this world. Aus and NZ share a lot in common, just like the UK and European countries having common agreements.
I agree entirely, however my post was in reply to Kiwi Childs comments about New Zealand workers in the resources field. They do provide a lot of the workforce, but the driver is the ease with which they can be employed, not the fact that they are Kiwis.

Having said that, I worked with a bunch of Maoris on a project long ago ,and I couldn’t ask for a better team of guys. And in that situation they had specific skills that did add to the project (they were riggers).
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:05 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
If it wasn't on a grid the CBD could easily resemble a small British city.
Actually, just out of interest, both Adelaide and Christchurch were designed by the same person, a guy called Colonel Light. You'd find the layout of Adelaide very similar to CHC. I'm not sure but imagine he was probably English. Someone else may know for sure.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Actually, just out of interest, both Adelaide and Christchurch were designed by the same person, a guy called Colonel Light. You'd find the layout of Adelaide very similar to CHC. I'm not sure but imagine he was probably English. Someone else may know for sure.
I haven't got any further than the airport in Adelaide.....but I think the only British city that is built on a grid, and isn't a new town/city is Glasgow.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:12 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It has no motorway network and no rail network to speak of. The only link between the second largest city in NZ (Christchurch) and it's nearest urban neighbour (Dunedin) is a single-lane-each-way road. You can't take a train, because there aren't any.
Buzzy
This is one of those things that REALLY annoy me about changes in NZ. I can recall travelling from CHC to DUN on the train...southern something or other they called it, AND you got your drinks in economy brought to you! No need to pack race to some little booze counter! The train station was on Moorehouse Ave (now a cinema complex). Oh how times have changes
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:15 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by bcworld
I haven't got any further than the airport in Adelaide.....but I think the only British city that is built on a grid, and isn't a new town/city is Glasgow.
Adelaide is a lovely city. Really worth visiting. Try going there sometime. It and its surrounds won't disappoint.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

The longer I live in Australia the more I miss my time in 'backward' New Zealand. Maybe by 2020 there will be a net population transfer from Australia to NZ as more people discover the attractions of living in Godzone rather than the rat race of overpriced and over-rated Australian suburbia.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
The longer I live in Australia the more I miss my time in 'backward' New Zealand. Maybe by 2020 there will be a net population transfer from Australia to NZ as more people discover the attractions of living in Godzone rather than the rat race of overpriced and over-rated Australian suburbia.
That's exactly what I thought on my recent South Island holiday. Just a bit small for me personally at the moment, but some beautiful houses in Christchurch and the prices are very reasonable with an excellent lifestyle IMO. Pity the work isn't there.

Upon returning to Melbourne it does not look attractive, especially the dryness. So refreshing to see greenery, hills, mountains etc.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michael_w
Interesting perspective. I haven't spent a large amount of time in NZ, but the time I did spend there I enjoyed. I definitely noticed that New Zealanders were less materialistic than Aussies - maybe less Americanised too?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what I thought on my recent South Island holiday. Just a bit small for me personally at the moment, but some beautiful houses in Christchurch and the prices are very reasonable with an excellent lifestyle IMO. Pity the work isn't there.

Upon returning to Melbourne it does not look attractive, especially the dryness. So refreshing to see greenery, hills, mountains etc.
That Dryness eats away at my soul. It's the one thing I really hate about this part of Aus.

Thank god this year has been wet.

Still it's not bad enough to make me want to move from here.... Plus I've spent a fair few bob on grey water stuff for my garden..... which is a bit of an oasis now.

Sorry for diversion.... But wouldnt it be perfect here if it was really green.

Maybe we can shift latitudes with the exodus.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:10 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Devlin
Interesting perspective. I haven't spent a large amount of time in NZ, but the time I did spend there I enjoyed. I definitely noticed that New Zealanders were less materialistic than Aussies - maybe less Americanised too?
I'd agree with that, though my understanding is that Auckland has become a bit materialistic in recent years. I was horrified to read the council there are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars employing security guards to kick homeless people out of the area Why not just put that money into helping accommodate them in hostels or something?

Out of interest, what country are you living in now Devlin?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Out of interest, what country are you living in now Devlin?
The UK.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with that, though my understanding is that Auckland has become a bit materialistic in recent years. I was horrified to read the council there are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars employing security guards to kick homeless people out of the area Why not just put that money into helping accommodate them in hostels or something?
Auckland is becoming an absolutely horrible city and it's almost certainly down to the planners and small-mindedness. Many Aucklanders are a bit shallow too.

Even though Wellington and Christchurch are much smaller they are much nicer places and have a better vibe to them.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:23 pm
Jedi Princess

Auckland is becoming an absolutely horrible city and it's almost certainly down to the planners and small-mindedness. Many Aucklanders are a bit shallow too.

Even though Wellington and Christchurch are much smaller they are much nicer places and have a better vibe to them.
It saddens me a bit as Auckland is my hometown. I grew up there and have fond memories of the place. Christchurch is nice in ways but it has a rather distasteful underbelly as well. Also quite smoggy in winter, tho I've heard this is improving. Wellington I can't really comment on but aside from the weather, have heard favourable reports over many years.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Aussie Dream Over??

It saddens me a bit as Auckland is my hometown. I grew up there and have fond memories of the place. Christchurch is nice in ways but it has a rather distasteful underbelly as well. Also quite smoggy in winter, tho I've heard this is improving. Wellington I can't really comment on but aside from the weather, have heard favourable reports over many years.
If someone shoved a gun in my ear and said "If you do not move to NZ I will kill you" then I would choose to live in Wellington. Parts of Auckland seem OK eg Titirangi area, also north to Orewa etc although NZ is starting to suffer from the Oz disease of building massive houses on teeny tiny blocks (I refer to this as the rape of Australia).

Wellington has a better vibe, similar to Melbourne's.

Christchurch is an inward-looking insular small town pretending to be a city, with as Kiwi-Child says, a distateful underbelly of violence, hooning, racist attacks etc.

In fact I find the whole of NZ inward-looking, determined to point out in every way they can how nowhere in the world is as good as New Zealand for various reasons. This is particularly prevalent in Kiwis who don't live in New Zealand, which I find amusing in an ironic way.

On a scale of 1 - 100, having lived in London, Melbourne and South Island New Zealand, where Melbourne is 99 (loses a point due to flies) and London is about 80, Wellington would be about 15, Auckland 10, and Christchurch somewhere below 0.

By the way, having holidayed there, I loved New Zealand until I lived there and the Kiwis soon knocked that out of me.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.