Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Dollar V Oil prices V Cheap Flights.

Aussie Dollar V Oil prices V Cheap Flights.

Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie Dollar V Oil prices V Cheap Flights.

Not exactly sure when the last glich in the oil price was, circa 15 months ago I think, but it put Air fares up big time.

Now with the Aussie dollar performing like the Deutch Mark did in the 70's and out performing most other currencys (thanks China ), Will this make air fares go down. Apparently the AUD is expected to hit parity with the USD in the next few months.

If the dollar keeps going up will Aussie bought air fares go down. Anyone know if the AUD is relevant in international air fares.

Surely some cheaper fares are on the way, if they can go up because of international circumstances surely they can go down ?

I wouldn't mind a 10pct saving in fares, if one is due.

Thanks
Prospective Air fare Buyer
Melbourne
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:25 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Default Re: Aussie Dollar V Oil prices V Cheap Flights.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Or may be the Airlines will just suffer a 10% increase in profit margins

</IMG>
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not exactly sure when the last glich in the oil price was, circa 15 months ago I think, but it put Air fares up big time.

Now with the Aussie dollar performing like the Deutch Mark did in the 70's and out performing most other currencys (thanks China ), Will this make air fares go down. Apparently the AUD is expected to hit parity with the USD in the next few months.

If the dollar keeps going up will Aussie bought air fares go down. Anyone know if the AUD is relevant in international air fares.

Surely some cheaper fares are on the way, if they can go up because of international circumstances surely they can go down ?

Thanks
Prospective Air fare Buyer
Melbourne
Some points:
The AUD may gain parity with the USD but it's going to take more than a few months - and there may be big fluctuations along the way.
I can't see the USD getting much weaker or for long periods. The US economy is basically sound and the weaker USD is going to benefit their economy, probably causing the USD to rise.
I think airfares will remain basically the same but there may be spurts of big discounts. There is more competition coming in to Australia - both for international and domestic flights - fares should come down.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some points:
The AUD may gain parity with the USD but it's going to take more than a few months - and there may be big fluctuations along the way.
I can't see the USD getting much weaker or for long periods. The US economy is basically sound and the weaker USD is going to benefit their economy, probably causing the USD to rise.
I think airfares will remain basically the same but there may be spurts of big discounts. There is more competition coming in to Australia - both for international and domestic flights - fares should come down.

Hopefully your correct, I may wait until Feb, to book my June ticket next year. Currently AUD 2,340 return, (including taxes) into Gatwick of all places with UAE, If I get that cheaper, during peak season I'll be well happy. A fellow Italian worker, is paying 3,000 grand for a trip back to Sicily with UAE.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:18 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I think that we will see the continued decline of the US$ against the major currencies throughout the remainder of 2007 and for at least a year or two to come. Reasons being;
practically no growth in US GDP,
very few new jobs being created in the US,
increasing consumer uncertainty,
increasing household credit pressures,
increased aversion to risk as a result of recent market events.

The bigger picture also points towards an inevitable slide in the US$ :
Increasing risk associated with growing chinese US$ reserves,
possibility of Saudi Arabia unpegging from US$.

One major thing in the USA's favour is that it is a massive importer of goods, and as such China cannot really afford for the $ to depreciate too far.

There will definitely be swings and roundabouts along the way, but I think that the only way is down for the dollar. By Oct 2008 I reckon that we will all be buying lots and lots of things from the US via ebay, as AU$1 will be worth more than US$1.

With regard to cheap flights, I don't think that the strength of the aussie dollar will help us out much there. Our best hope is for increased competition in the domestic air travel market.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:06 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

More dollars to buy the same amount of goods = inflation = interest rate rises. = more recession = more defaults = ???

Where will it end

O sorry, stronger dollar thou!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

So if I can put it right, then the dollar will continue to rise and us that are heading there will lose out!!!
Not Good!!!!
Need to save even more......s**t
Better start now then