Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie dollar on the turn

Aussie dollar on the turn

Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:27 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie dollar on the turn

Originally Posted by Budawang
Yes, but Sydney prices are still up slightly year on year. The only city to show a decline is Perth which is kind of strange given their booming economy.

Probably more so if interest rates drop.
In your dreams!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I don't think anyone's trying to make too accurate comparisons between economies, merely pointing out that the idea that Australia is in some way insulated from what is happening elsewhere isn't sustainable.
I absolutely agree that Australia is not insulated from what's going on elsewhere. However, some of the big factors at play in the world are working to Australia's advantage, namely:
1. Increased demand for food
2. Increased demand for minerals
3. Increased demand for energy
4. Reduced appetite for risk
Point number 4 is underestimated. Australia is considered to have one of the best regulated, and least risky, economies in the world. The US used to be the ultimate safe-haven, but how things have changed. As it becomes more and more apparent just how badly regulated (and corrupt) its financial markets are, countries like Australia are looking very appealing.

I predict China will face a serious political/economic crisis at some stage, but it will probably be a few years off. This will be a huge challenge for Australia and will jeopardize our impressive run of economic growth.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Budawang
And I suppose an economy reliant on the export of financial services is well balanced? It's no coincidence the UK is being hit harder than most by the credit crunch.
like I said "an economy base solely on one industry....."
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I still cannot get over the fact that, depending on which you take as your reference, Perth house prices are on average between $450K and $497K.

Even to take the lower end of the spectrum - $450K - that's GBP220000.

Whatever is happening to the mining boom (and I heard the term 'maturing' the other day), this is an amazingly high average price to pay for a house.

Talkback radio today was full of denials - led by REIWA trying to oppose the APM report (suggesting a 15% drop in Perth prices). Probably the same group of people who 18 months ago were saying that the mining boom and continued immigration to WA would ensure that Perth prices wouldn't fall - flatline possibly but not fall.

Since then they've fallen 6% in 6 months and, according to the real estate institute today, (said trying to justify that prices wouldn't fall in the future) they've fallen between 15 and 20% in 18 months in suburbs beyond 15kms from the CBD.

Seeing house prices collapse in Perth brings me great joy! Trouble is, they're collapsing in the UK also which isn't so joyful!! Which brings me to another point - all of those people arriving in WA each day - where are they going to find the money to put on to a house in Perth? Collapsing markets in the developed world means that the equity they bring will be reduced. I can't see many people who want to be truck drivers in the mines bringing vast amounts in.

And if interest rates do start to drop later this year, they won't shave much off the monthly payments on a $400K mortgage.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Seeing house prices collapse in Perth brings me great joy! Trouble is, they're collapsing in the UK also which isn't so joyful!!
like I said....I'll make less money on the UK house sale than a year ago but certainly won't be paying Perth prices from a year ago either ! Swings and whatsits..... I mean, half a million quid for a wooden shack in Fremantle??? Perrrlease !!!
Some land prices already down in Mandurah by 33% since last year and nothing much else is selling.
Renting, wherever you are, is the short term answer. Wait til prices stablilise then buy back in. Could be a few years yet ! Money's better off in the bank, which, thankfully is where most of ours is !
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BATS666
like I said....I'll make less money on the UK house sale than a year ago but certainly won't be paying Perth prices from a year ago either ! Swings and whatsits..... I mean, half a million quid for a wooden shack in Fremantle??? Perrrlease !!!
Some land prices already down in Mandurah by 33% since last year and nothing much else is selling.
Renting, wherever you are, is the short term answer. Wait til prices stablilise then buy back in. Could be a few years yet ! Money's better off in the bank, which, thankfully is where most of ours is !
Strangely I was trying to work out the maths today. If my house in the UK is currently worth 65% of what the equivalent house in Perth costs and both go down by 20% over the next year am I better off selling now (impossible I think) or waiting until after the bloodshed...? (Even though we'll probably leave Perth I wouldn't mind keeping a small house here......)

Done it - better off waiting - esp given the poor exchange rate and the UK market.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
(suggesting a 15% drop in Perth prices).
By Christmas 2009 people will look back on 15% correction as the good old days.