Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie dollar in freefall!

Aussie dollar in freefall!

Old May 21st 2010, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Aussie dollar in freefall!

Originally Posted by comet555
Anyone care to wager some predictions for the next 3-6 months?

We are probably looking at exchange all of our money in August but could push that back to September or longer if needed. So I'm hoping things will stabilize somewhat in the upcoming months. Might be dreaming though!
Between which currencies ?

Old May 21st 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

SunshineSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping to send off my skills assessment soon, which will be Au$850, so I hope it's not just a blip!
Old May 21st 2010, 10:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Between which currencies ?
For us it will be Oz versus Canadian. I think the Canadian dollar has went down a little bit against the US but nowhere near as much as AUD/US.

Earlier in the year they were predicting AUD/CAD would be close to par by the end of the year. I'm certain that won't happen now. Just hoping for something like 0.9 which seems to be about average for that pairing.
Old May 21st 2010, 10:34 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be looking to trade £ for $.... about £300K worth.

Our 4 bed Melbourne dream house on Bayside has turned into a 3 bed in Northern suburbs over the last few months & for a while, was even looking like a cardboard box under a bridge on the Princes Freeway

However, overnight we may have just about regained our 4th bedroom & with more of this might just be heading back to the seaside again

OH is talking about paying £2K to fix an option at £1:$2 which at the moment is looking like a good plan Happy days though
Old May 21st 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

OH is talking about paying £2K to fix an option at £1:$2 which at the moment is looking like a good plan Happy days though [/QUOTE]

pay 2k to fix an option ?

hifx and ozforex do a forward contract for free

when it reaches your set value you just pay 10% and then the rest when you settle the account
Old May 21st 2010, 11:05 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure myself how excactly it works, but its kind of an insurance for want of a better phrase...basically you set a date & a price, in our case $2 to the £. It them guarantees you will get that rate on the day even if it falls back...but don't ask me how it works coz I really don't have a clue

Maybe someone can come along & enlighten me
Old May 21st 2010, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Not sure myself how excactly it works, but its kind of an insurance for want of a better phrase...basically you set a date & a price, in our case $2 to the £. It them guarantees you will get that rate on the day even if it falls back...but don't ask me how it works coz I really don't have a clue

Maybe someone can come along & enlighten me
A forward is different to an option because it is binding. I imagine it would be pretty hard to find a forward contract with a deal rate of 2:1

The option is not binding, for instance if the rate available in the market were $2.1 to £ on your contract date you would just say no thanks I won't exercise my option because there is a better rate on the open market. So the bank is taking all the risk, because they would have to sell to you at £1:$2 even if the open market rate is only 1.9. You on the other hand are risk free because you don't have to exercise the option if there is a better rate on the market by the time

So they want to be compensated for that risk and that is where the £2k comes in.

FWIW, I think it is not a bad idea at all.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; May 21st 2010 at 11:13 am.
Old May 21st 2010, 11:23 am
Da bing bing!

Thanks for that Bermudashorts...I knew OH wouldn't do anything daft with our money, it was just that when he was telling me about it, I didn't quite follow

So on the amount we have to exchange, the £2K easily pays for itself on the deal, whereas it might not necessarily on smaller amounts
Old May 21st 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mohogony
Is it falling becasue if Rudds tax on mining companies? Is taxing the miners a smart thing to do without them the OZ economy would be just as bad as the UK.
Actually without the Chinese Australia would be seeing the same kind of hit from the recession as the rest of the world, as its them buying what the miners are mining that's benefiting Aus. Aus as a country has a GDP smaller than the state of Florida!
Old May 21st 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

SunshineSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Aus as a country has a GDP smaller than the state of Florida!
That's not as bad as it sounds given the population of Australia is around 21.5m, and the population of Florida is 18.5m
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Actually without the Chinese Australia would be seeing the same kind of hit from the recession as the rest of the world, as its them buying what the miners are mining that's benefiting Aus. Aus as a country has a GDP smaller than the state of Florida!
It does? Surprising given the figures on the internet putting Australia's total nominal GDP a lot higher? Which figures are you looking at?

Australia's per capita GDP adjusted for purchasing power is now 10th in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry duh on my part. I meant California. And actually to be fair I don't know how up to date that is. Here's a link of the American States mixed in with GDP's of countries around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...es_nominal_GDP
Old May 24th 2010, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

I to hope the pound goes up condiderably, but remember not to hope that the economy goes downhill in oz to much. This is the country we have chosen to live, and if it gets affected to much i hope we are all in safe jobs. Converting dollars back to pounds may not make for a pretty picture. Hope, but not to much!
Old May 24th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mark wool
I to hope the pound goes up condiderably, but remember not to hope that the economy goes downhill in oz to much. This is the country we have chosen to live, and if it gets affected to much i hope we are all in safe jobs. Converting dollars back to pounds may not make for a pretty picture. Hope, but not to much!
I want AUD to go down only when I exchange my money. Afterwards, I hope it goes up, up and up all the way. Is it too much to ask? Not at all..... because thats how markets work.... it hits bottom, and then it goes up!
Old May 24th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
I want AUD to go down only when I exchange my money. Afterwards, I hope it goes up, up and up all the way. Is it too much to ask? Not at all..... because thats how markets work.... it hits bottom, and then it goes up!
The trick is knowing when any market is at the bottom (or the top), do anything close to that and you can make a fortune, but even the very best can only do it about 60% of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.