Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie customs form urgent question

Aussie customs form urgent question

Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

karlphillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie customs form urgent question

Just filling in the Australian customs form for our shippers and section 8 asks about wooden furniture inculded in the shipment. Do I decalre our wooden furniture and have the customs people go through our whole shipment or is there some way where we say we have wooden furniture but it's all treated wood? I want to be honest but not have customs take everything out of the container to look at all of the furniture, with the associated hassle, cost and risk of damage to shipped items.

At the moment this question looks like a no win situation. What did others put here? how are your shippers saying to answer this?

help.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:04 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie customs form urgent question

Originally Posted by karlphillips
Just filling in the Australian customs form for our shippers and section 8 asks about wooden furniture inculded in the shipment. Do I decalre our wooden furniture and have the customs people go through our whole shipment or is there some way where we say we have wooden furniture but it's all treated wood? I want to be honest but not have customs take everything out of the container to look at all of the furniture, with the associated hassle, cost and risk of damage to shipped items.

At the moment this question looks like a no win situation. What did others put here? how are your shippers saying to answer this?

help.
Just because you declare it doesn't mean AQIS go through your whole shipment!

I wrote something like "beds, bookcases, coffee tables, dining room table and chairs, hat stand. All purchased from UK furniture stores."

The only box AQIS looked at was the one with the garden tools.

They are more likely to go through your shipment if you don't declare it. Because that looks suspicious.

Gina
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

karlphillips is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gina that ties in with my feelings on this and reassures on the checking of all wodden items in the shipment.

I have now gone back to the shippers on this as they were the ones who said not to put anything in the first place. They are checking with their agents in Oz to see what they say on the matter.

Karl
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

manwinoname is an unknown quantity at this point

I was concerned about some cane furniture ( which had originated in Indonesia ) as a couple of companies quoting thought it would get destroyed and we would have to pay for that. I obtained a copy of a document showing that it had been treated prior to entry to the UK, from the store I purchased from, sent it with the paperwork and had no customs issues with it.
All the best with your plans
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

pamjames has a spectacular aura aboutpamjames has a spectacular aura aboutpamjames has a spectacular aura about

I have a query - does anyone know if I can take 2 large hand-carved wooden sculptures that we bought in Thailand 10 years ago and lugged back to the UK. They don't seem to be infested with any wigglies, just a bit dusty?!

Should I have them fumigated over here in the UK before shipping or let the customs to decide when they reach Oz?

pam