Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Cities - Expat Survey Results

Aussie Cities - Expat Survey Results

Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Knocker43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Aussie Cities - Expat Survey Results

I thought anyone interested in moving to Oz (or anyone else for that matter) might find the following link useful; the Economist newspaper in London (a respected business publication i.e. not a tabloid) has an 'Intelligence unit' that gathers statistical information on a range of subjects. It recently produced a press release on a survey of Expats living in cities all over the world, producing a rating based on issues such as standard of living, transport, housing, crime/safety etc. These ratings are used for example when companies want to know how much extra to pay their staff when the send them abroad and they may have to dodge bullets etc.

Interestingly, all six major aussie cities came in the top ten. Melbourne was 1st, followed by Vancouver and then Perth. Sydney was 6th, let down by it's greater crime rate, but all things are relative and its still safer than many European and American cities. Obviously, some people may not agree with the weightings given to different criteria, but it's probably the best thing out there without living in a city for a year and froming your own opinion.

The press release is at

http://store.eiu.com/index.asp?layou...s_id=540000654

(Just cut & paste into address window if that doesn't work as a link)

Theres also a press release from The Age about it, at

http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/0...854028808.html

Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

ZimBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Aussie Cities - Expat Survey Results

That is really interesting reading as I ws born in Harare, Zimbabwe (Although moved away 18 years ago), I have relatives living in Johannesburg, and I am now looking to immigrate/study in Melbourne.

Very interesting!!!

Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 8:10 am
Just Joined

anth_wib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie Cities - Expat Survey Results

Originally Posted by Knocker43
I thought anyone interested in moving to Oz (or anyone else for that matter) might find the following link useful; the Economist newspaper in London (a respected business publication i.e. not a tabloid) has an 'Intelligence unit' that gathers statistical information on a range of subjects. It recently produced a press release on a survey of Expats living in cities all over the world, producing a rating based on issues such as standard of living, transport, housing, crime/safety etc. These ratings are used for example when companies want to know how much extra to pay their staff when the send them abroad and they may have to dodge bullets etc.

Interestingly, all six major aussie cities came in the top ten. Melbourne was 1st, followed by Vancouver and then Perth. Sydney was 6th, let down by it's greater crime rate, but all things are relative and its still safer than many European and American cities. Obviously, some people may not agree with the weightings given to different criteria, but it's probably the best thing out there without living in a city for a year and froming your own opinion.

The press release is at

http://store.eiu.com/index.asp?layou...s_id=540000654

(Just cut & paste into address window if that doesn't work as a link)

Theres also a press release from The Age about it, at

http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/0...854028808.html

In fact there was minimal difference for ratings for all 5 Australian cities, with Adelaide rating very comparible..it all depends what priorities you are looking for, then make a decision.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 8:29 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aussie Cities - Expat Survey Results

Wow 5 Australian cities in the top 10

Brisbane joint 8