Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Chocolate.. yuk!

Wikiposts

Aussie Chocolate.. yuk!

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Aussie Chocolate.. yuk!

Anyone know why chocolate made in Australia tastes so bad?

My missus refuses to eat it and instead spends a fortune on cadburys from the british lolly shop. We thought we had found a way around it as our local shop sold freddo frogs made in new zealand, much nicer and tastes like UK chocolate. Then a few weeks ago they tasted rank again and now they say made in australia on them.. arrgghhhh.

I think its something to do with the cows??
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie Chocolate.. yuk!

Originally Posted by markbhx

My missus refuses to eat it and instead spends a fortune on cadburys from the british lolly shop. We thought we had found a way around it as our local shop sold freddo frogs made in new zealand, much nicer and tastes like UK chocolate. Then a few weeks ago they tasted rank again and now they say made in australia on them.. arrgghhhh.

Additive to stop melting say some.... It is nasty stuff.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

aldi swiss choc is nice oh and lindor the red one mmmmmm
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I actually prefer Aussie chocolate now
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Was going to agree with you then I see that you count Cadburys as chocolate (which it aint!)
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

kicking_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep Aussie Chocolate is grim!! I cant eat Aussie Cadburys, which as a chocolate addict is unheard of for me!! One of my friends sends me parcels over from home!! Although Nestle are not to bad here, and they do have lovely cake shops!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

No good cake shops in Brisbane. They all look like Strathdees Bakery. Some of you will know what I mean
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it tastes horrible.Even my 15 year old daughter hardly eats chocolate now.The only thing that puzzles me is I don't now eat chocolate much but have not lost any weightThat does not seem fair.Sue
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:37 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
No good cake shops in Brisbane. They all look like Strathdees Bakery. Some of you will know what I mean
LOL.....do they sell rowies as well?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

The lady in the sweet shop in sanctuary cove (who is a chocolatier) told me that it was something to do with the amount of cocoa solids in aussie chocolate being less than UK chocolate and there being more palm oil in it ...or something along those lines, more oils therefore there is something added to stop it melting.
It is amazing the lengths we (myself included) go to to get our choccie fix.....By the way for those that have not discovered it tubes of rolos found in woolies and coles (and our IGA) are made in the UK, as are the small Aero bars.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

I think it depends on what you grew up with. I am an Aussie with a chocolate addiction and when I moved to the UK I was totally off the chocolate because it tasted so different and I hated it. I found that the Cadbury's in the Uk tended to leave an oily coating on the inside of my mouth.

Now I have had time to adjust (11 years), I have tried a lot of chocolate and I just refuse to eat Cadbury's now as it is disgusting and seems so inferior. I have become a chocolate snob and my chocolate of choice is Green and Blacks and anything that can be found at Hotel Chocolat! I have even enquired about whether they may allow setting up of a franchise in Perth. How sad am I? Would any of you be up for a Hotel Chocolat store?

I am not so bothered about Aussie chocolate anymore with the exception of Cherry Ripes as they are divine.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

This is great news we might see a few thinner poms around , then..........mm
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

I think I must be the only one that cant tell the difference! I just love chocolate and don't care where it comes from
Tracie
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

No idea why it tastes so rank!

I am a chocoholic, but while in OZ i certainly wasn't. Maybe that was a good thing.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

There are always ways around it. If you are an addict you will find a way
I have already enlisted a group of friends who will ship over my beloved Green & Blacks although it will have to be only in June, July and August otherwise I risk receiving melted chocolate.

I plan on returning at least once a year also to cover the other couple of months and filling my suitcase with the stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.