Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

View Poll Results: Which Aussie bank is best, and why!?
ANZ
13.27%
Westpac
28.57%
HSBC
18.37%
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
23.47%
ASB Bank
0%
National Australia Bank
16.33%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:19 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

Just curious as to which Aussie bank people have had the most positive experiences with, and what those experiences have been, thanks in advance for your help people!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:17 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Just curious as to which Aussie bank people have had the most positive experiences with, and what those experiences have been, thanks in advance for your help people!
Commonwealth were very good whilst in UK and then in SA but they did not have the bank cards ready when we arrived. Disappointed with that.

Some say make sure you get a bank with a branch where you are going to live but I guess people move!

Cooler
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Commonwealth were very good whilst in UK and then in SA but they did not have the bank cards ready when we arrived. Disappointed with that.

Some say make sure you get a bank with a branch where you are going to live but I guess people move!

Cooler
Thanks Cooler
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

Should be "which Aussie bank do you despise the least"!

We're with Commonwealth, but only because of the mortgage. They've been perfectly fine, and even allowed us to activate our Visa cards once we reached Australia despite the fact that they had been issued almost three years previously! Online banking system is good, and I like their account options.

Having said that, I was with ANZ earlier, and found them very good too. Can't really vote, to be honest; it all seems to be 6 of one, half a doz of t'other.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Any bank that doesn't have monthly fees gets my vote. For us its HSBC and ING.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We have had dealings with all the major Oz banks except NAB and they have all been dreadful. The only bank we have used where all the staff know what they are talking about, do what you want and do what they say they will is our local branch of Bank of Queensland - so much so that last week we wrote the manager a glowing letter.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler

Cooler

I bank with Citibank - I have found them to be excellent, and their fee free savings (current) account is great. Everything is done either online or over the phone, and it's refreshing that their operators all speak English, albeit US English. Over the counter transactions can be done at any Post Office if you need to pay in a cheque or withdraw more than the ATM will allow.

They were excellent with my mortgage, and I was able to quickly and easily get exactly what I wanted from them.

I think the whole 'branch nearby' thing is a bit of a furfy - I haven't once needed to go to a branch for banking purposes. They are in the same ATM alliance as Westpac/St George/BankSA, and I rarely struggle to find a free ATM.

Citi also have a great range of support products such as credit cards, mortgages etc. Another bonus is that ATM withdrawals are free overseas if you can find a Citi ATM - This was really useful when I was in The US earlier in the year.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, and certainly several of my friends hold accounts with them. People need to find the fee free alternatives, and vote with their feet - I do get tired of people moaning that their bank charges them for services that I get for free, but then look at you weirdly when you suggest moving bank.

Can't vote, as Citi aren't on your list, but there are definitely alternatives to getting screwed by the so called Big 4...

S
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:29 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I bank with Citibank - I have found them to be excellent, and their fee free savings (current) account is great. Everything is done either online or over the phone, and it's refreshing that their operators all speak English, albeit US English. Over the counter transactions can be done at any Post Office if you need to pay in a cheque or withdraw more than the ATM will allow.

They were excellent with my mortgage, and I was able to quickly and easily get exactly what I wanted from them.

I think the whole 'branch nearby' thing is a bit of a furfy - I haven't once needed to go to a branch for banking purposes. They are in the same ATM alliance as Westpac/St George/BankSA, and I rarely struggle to find a free ATM.

Citi also have a great range of support products such as credit cards, mortgages etc. Another bonus is that ATM withdrawals are free overseas if you can find a Citi ATM - This was really useful when I was in The US earlier in the year.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, and certainly several of my friends hold accounts with them. People need to find the fee free alternatives, and vote with their feet - I do get tired of people moaning that their bank charges them for services that I get for free, but then look at you weirdly when you suggest moving bank.

Can't vote, as Citi aren't on your list, but there are definitely alternatives to getting screwed by the so called Big 4...

S
Thanks, that's brill, is there anyway of editing my poll and adding citi bank? Mods?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:34 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's brill, is there anyway of editing my poll and adding citi bank? Mods?
Can we add "mattress" for WillBlack?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:01 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Can we add "mattress" for WillBlack?
Swag actually. And some stuffed down the back of my chair. Never know when you might get the hots to SPEND.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:03 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Swag actually. And some stuffed down the back of my chair. Never know when you might get the hots to SPEND.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:30 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

St George would get my vote. I use them personally and for business and find them excellent. Their Internet banking is particularly good. It's easy to avoid monthly account keeping fee's with them too.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Fred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the rough

Currently Westpac is doing the best to get your business.

I have had accounts with both Commonwealth Bank and ANZ, but have had good dealings with Westpac in the last 2 years.

It does depend on the branch manager as a good one can really provide you with assistance when you really need it.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

Avoid St.George with a barge pole, nothing but probs and the staff are SSOOOOO UNhelpful - definately one to avoid at all costs.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

What is the ASB Bank ?

It does come down to managers at times. I won't go back to St George at Capalaba, but the girl at the Complaints office did her best to help, but she had to believe that the Manager would not have made the error that he did.

I now ensure that I do my own research, and no longer believe what a Bank Manager says.

HSBC are good, Westpac are good, ANZ are good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.