Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie $ wildly overvalued...

Aussie $ wildly overvalued...

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie $ wildly overvalued...

http://www.businessinsider.com/morga...28ClusterStock

I hope it falls soon
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:58 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aussie $ wildly overvalued...

As long as China stays wealthy so will OZ, China needs OZ's massive natural resources , thats why OZ is the only western country to advoid a recession and the best performing economy in the western world. in the USA unemployment is 10% and house prices crashing in OZ unemployment is 4% and house prices booming.

Last edited by mohogony; Nov 22nd 2009 at 8:02 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
As long as China stays wealthy so will OZ, China needs OZ's massive natural resources , thats why OZ is the only western country to advoid a recession and the best performing economy in the western world. in the USA unemployment is 10% and house prices crashing in OZ unemployment is 4% and house prices booming.
There appears to be some doubts about the true extent of recovery in China...

http://www.smh.com.au/business/doubt...1117-ij91.html

House prices booming in Oz because of China? I am not so sure. I think it is almost entirely fuelled by debt (and not mention the govt. handout/bribe/encouragement to inflate house prices higher) ......FHB taking extraordinarily huge loans with low down payments (at a time when interest rates bottomed) and buying houses they can ill afford.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:20 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst the economics of Australia are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, when compared to the US and UK its positively coming up smelling of roses. I don't believe that is going to change any time soon.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

are you having a housing bubble in australia?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IndieG
House prices booming in Oz because of China? I am not so sure. I think it is almost entirely fuelled by debt (and not mention the govt. handout/bribe/encouragement to inflate house prices higher) ....
China may be playing a small part in it...

FORGET the "for sale" sign, the new catch-cry in Melbourne's leafy suburbs is "duoshao qian".

Leading agents say more than 30 per cent of their stock is bought by families from mainland China.
"This calendar year 34 per cent of our sales went to mainly Chinese buyers compared to 15 per cent last year. We're up 125 per cent overall,"

http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...013951,00.html

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
A case of too many eggs in the one basket,perhaps?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
are you having a housing bubble in australia?
Some of us may well say. Still a lot of local punters feel it is the way to richness,with a belief that house prices double every decade. Rather an obsession here....
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some of us may well say. Still a lot of local punters feel it is the way to richness,with a belief that house prices double every decade. Rather an obsession here....

That and interest rates. I don't recall the rises and falls of interest rates being reported with such detailed examination back in the uk...

S
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't recall the rises and falls of interest rates being reported with such detailed examination back in the uk...

S
I don't recall it being that bad here some years ago, but the last few years it has been particularly noticeable.

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:31 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember it being quite a big thing in the UK as well. MPC used to meet 1st Thursday of the month and it was definitely on the news that night.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
That and interest rates. I don't recall the rises and falls of interest rates being reported with such detailed examination back in the uk...

S
I do.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
China may be playing a small part in it...
How reliable is that data given that they're all reports from real estate agents (price rise on account of Chinese buyers who have become very active recently)? The reason I ask is that we had a very similar situation in Dubai - where agents were talking up prices and saying that cashed up Russians and Saudis were snapping up property (not to mention tales of money launderers with suitcases full of cash buying property) so prices would never fall....and we saw what happened there.

So are the Chinese really buying property, and if so, why?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IndieG
How reliable is that data given that they're all reports from real estate agents (price rise on account of Chinese buyers who have become very active recently)? The reason I ask is that we had a very similar situation in Dubai - where agents were talking up prices and saying that cashed up Russians and Saudis were snapping up property (not to mention tales of money launderers with suitcases full of cash buying property) so prices would never fall....and we saw what happened there.

So are the Chinese really buying property, and if so, why?
Obviously the reliability of anything in the news isn't 100% guaranteed, but with the recent government changes to allow overseas buyers to now purchase established homes, it does seem highly feasible.

The rules were changed to allow just this to happen, and now they say it has happened.

It sort of makes sense.

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I do.
Really? I remember it making the news, but it was usually only the second or third item in, and only given limited time.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.