Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus working conditions.

Aus working conditions.

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:38 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aus working conditions.

Can anyone enlighten me on the general level of working conditions/entitlements.I know each company is different but what is the average holiday entitlement ,sick pay,hours worked per week etc.I interested on how they compare to the UK as they are never mentioned in any job ads.

Thanks,Lee
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus working conditions.

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Can anyone enlighten me on the general level of working conditions/entitlements.I know each company is different but what is the average holiday entitlement ,sick pay,hours worked per week etc.I interested on how they compare to the UK as they are never mentioned in any job ads.

Thanks,Lee
Search on the "workplace reform" basically they are 'negotiable' Employers since they brought in workplace reform about a year ago, have drawn up over a million contracts that way.

A lot of jobs are also casual labour, hols sick etc dont apply but you do get a couple of extra bucks an hour as compensation. but of course no job security.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Aus working conditions.

Thanks,Lee
Holiday entitlement is usually 4 weeks per year with 17.5% leave loading. I had 5 weeks when I lived in Australia, but that was in a government job.

For average pay rates, click here. (Latest census results).

In addition to salary, Australian workers receive 9% superannuation. It's something I miss now that I'm in the UK, paying tax & NI but receiving no superannuation whatsoever. I shudder to think how much damage is being done to my super fund back home for every year that I'm outside the country.

Average working week is around 40 hours, or 1800 hours per year (see the article here). Now that I'm in the UK, my working week is 46.5 hours long, with Saturday work bringing it up to 50.5 hours every fourth week.

As for sick pay:

Under the Federal Governments industrial relations legislation (WorkChoices)[2] eligible employees are entitled to:

* ten days of paid personal/carer’s leave per year (including sick leave and carer’s leave);
* two days of unpaid carer’s leave per occasion; and
* two days of paid compassionate leave per occasion.

Paid personal/carer’s leave can be taken:

* due to personal illness or injury (sick leave); or
* to provide care or support for a member of the employee’s immediate family or household who requires care or support due to personal illness or injury, or an unexpected emergency (carer’s leave).

Up to ten days of paid personal/carer’s leave in any given year can be used as carer’s leave and personal/carer’s leave is cumulative.
Wikipedia.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:02 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Holiday entitlement is usually 4 weeks per year with 17.5% leave loading. I had 5 weeks when I lived in Australia, but that was in a government job.

For average pay rates, click here. (Latest census results).

In addition to salary, Australian workers receive 9% superannuation. It's something I miss now that I'm in the UK, paying tax & NI but receiving no superannuation whatsoever. I shudder to think how much damage is being done to my super fund back home for every year that I'm outside the country.

Average working week is around 40 hours, or 1800 hours per year (see the article here). Now that I'm in the UK, my working week is 46.5 hours long, with Saturday work bringing it up to 50.5 hours every fourth week.

As for sick pay:

Under the Federal Governments industrial relations legislation (WorkChoices)[2] eligible employees are entitled to:

* ten days of paid personal/carer’s leave per year (including sick leave and carer’s leave);
* two days of unpaid carer’s leave per occasion; and
* two days of paid compassionate leave per occasion.

Paid personal/carer’s leave can be taken:

* due to personal illness or injury (sick leave); or
* to provide care or support for a member of the employee’s immediate family or household who requires care or support due to personal illness or injury, or an unexpected emergency (carer’s leave).

Up to ten days of paid personal/carer’s leave in any given year can be used as carer’s leave and personal/carer’s leave is cumulative.
Wikipedia.

Hope this helps.
cheers mate i'll check out the links later

Lee
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Work reform is good. Makes all the lazy workers more efficient. Trade Unions should be dismantled in my books.

Me - same as UK. 4 weeks holiday, stacks of sick leave, personal leave days.
I can't take them fast enough and I've accrued a fair amount.

We get good salaries and at least inflation every year, with a performance based increase and bonus.

I work 37 hrs a week here.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Aus working conditions.

cheers mate i'll check out the links later

Lee
My pleasure.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Work reform is good. Makes all the lazy workers more efficient. Trade Unions should be dismantled in my books.

Me - same as UK. 4 weeks holiday, stacks of sick leave, personal leave days.
I can't take them fast enough and I've accrued a fair amount.

We get good salaries and at least inflation every year, with a performance based increase and bonus.

I work 37 hrs a week here.
Please enlighten us as to what you do for a living. Your hours, wage, entittlements etc do not seem to be the average working mans benefits. I would hazard a guess that you are not a factory or manual worker on your sweeping statement about trade unions, which I strongly disagree with by the way..
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,Lee
I do welding inspection so a blue collar trade.Working week is 36 hrs but most of the welders I test do 10-12 hrs o/time per week.Go on site and usually 7x 10 or 12 hr shifts with an average of 4 on 1 off,sometimes 6 and 1.Four weeks holiday with 17.5% loading,10 days sick leave.Most workshops have decent stereo systems so radio on all day.The leave loading usually makes up for lost timekeeping bonuses when on holiday.Free work clothes and boots,some companies launder them but that is scarce now.On hot sites free electrolyte replacement drinks,some companies have ice making machines.Some companies put drinks and BBQ,s on frequently,some are really tight fisted and even overcharge on the coke machine ($1.50,most companies $1)Note that most of the companies I test for are union shops,AWA would be worse conditions,work seems to be slowing at the moment so expect some conditions to be lost.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:41 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Some companies put drinks and BBQ,s on frequently,some are really tight fisted and even overcharge on the coke machine ($1.50,most companies $1)Note that most of the companies I test for are union shops,AWA would be worse conditions,work seems to be slowing at the moment so expect some conditions to be lost.
Thats just silly for a business to erode is labour capital. A client i have at the moment thought they were shit hot putting all its staff on short notice periods - on the basis they can get rid of them faster.

Well there exiting faster than hot cakes and I'm losing the diet with all the farewell cakes

On one hand there are always the odd idiot worker who will test the patience of any company - but its in the business interests to work with the labour force not alienate it. Too many short sighted gits in the wrong roles these days.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Do they still have Rostered Days Off over there? OH worked as a shuttering chippy on a working holiday visa about 9 or 10 years agao and they got one monday off a month as a RDO.

Dolly
Old Oct 25th 2006, 4:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Aus working conditions.

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Do they still have Rostered Days Off over there? OH worked as a shuttering chippy on a working holiday visa about 9 or 10 years agao and they got one monday off a month as a RDO.

Dolly
It depends on the nature of your job, your working hours, and the industry in which you are employed.

When I worked night shifts for Australia Post, I worked one Sunday in every three, but received an RDO on the same week as compensation.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:42 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
I do welding inspection so a blue collar trade.Working week is 36 hrs but most of the welders I test do 10-12 hrs o/time per week.Go on site and usually 7x 10 or 12 hr shifts with an average of 4 on 1 off,sometimes 6 and 1.Four weeks holiday with 17.5% loading,10 days sick leave.Most workshops have decent stereo systems so radio on all day.The leave loading usually makes up for lost timekeeping bonuses when on holiday.Free work clothes and boots,some companies launder them but that is scarce now.On hot sites free electrolyte replacement drinks,some companies have ice making machines.Some companies put drinks and BBQ,s on frequently,some are really tight fisted and even overcharge on the coke machine ($1.50,most companies $1)Note that most of the companies I test for are union shops,AWA would be worse conditions,work seems to be slowing at the moment so expect some conditions to be lost.
is it my imagination or are these 'conditions' and working hours really bad ? Long hours and hardly anytime off...geezzz..i thought that Aussie was meant to have the work/home time balance in favour of R and R ??
do i not like the sound of that :scared:
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Aus working conditions.

is it my imagination or are these 'conditions' and working hours really bad ? Long hours and hardly anytime off...geezzz..i thought that Aussie was meant to have the work/home time balance in favour of R and R ??
He said that the working week is 36 hours, but most of the welders he tests do 10-12 hours overtime per week. Since overtime is not rostered time, that still leaves the working week at 36 hours.

If some welders want to work 10-12 hour shifts and scoop up a nice bag of overtime, fair play to them. It doesn't mean that everyone else will be doing the same.

To put it in perspective: here in the UK, I currently work 46.5 hours a week. For an Aussie welder, that would be 36 standard hours plus 10.5 hours of overtime.

But for me, it's just 46.5 hours on regular pay. No bonus, no overtime, no leave loading. Just plain old hard graft at a fixed rate.

All of a sudden, the Aussie welder's job starts to look pretty good.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:12 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
He said that the working week is 36 hours, but most of the welders he tests do 10-12 hours overtime per week. Since overtime is not rostered time, that still leaves the working week at 36 hours.

If some welders want to work 10-12 hour shifts and scoop up a nice bag of overtime, fair play to them. It doesn't mean that everyone else will be doing the same.

To put it in perspective: here in the UK, I currently work 46.5 hours a week. For an Aussie welder, that would be 36 standard hours plus 10.5 hours of overtime.

But for me, it's just 46.5 hours on regular pay. No bonus, no overtime, no leave loading. Just plain old hard graft at a fixed rate.

All of a sudden, the Aussie welder's job starts to look pretty good.
Not always though - depends on the company. My brother is a welder and doesn't get any of the above. A chap he's worked with has been there for 10 years and hasn't had a days paid holiday yet. I work for a trade association in Victoria, and generally speaking there seems to be a tendency for many trades here to work on either a "casual" basis or an ABN self employed type of contract. Either way, you don't always get holiday pay, bonus, overtime etc. There is no job security either with this type of work. My husband is also a tradie and doesn't get paid for holidays, sickness etc. and if they run out of supplies on site or it's too windy or too hot etc., they get sent home and pay is deducted for the hours not worked. Working conditions aren't always brilliant either with shoddy safety practices being common here, although the unions and worksafe are trying to change this. The site barbies and beer on Friday afternoons are good I believe though!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:21 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I'ts just a rumour. Hubby leaves the house at 6am every morning, gets back at 5pm. (Compare to his UK job of leaving house at 7am and getting back at 4pm). From what I've seen, most people here tend to work similar hours to UK. Four weeks holiday pay is pretty standard for many jobs if you are employed on a permanent basis.

Everyone's circumstances are different and every job is different though - I actually work less hours here for similar pay to what I earned in the UK. I suppose it just depends on what job you do and who you work for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.