AUS tax returns

Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default AUS tax returns

Ok I am now taking advantage of the fact I can ramble on this forum

It is now 1.58 am Thursday (my Weds night) and I am trying to file my AUS tax return via the net. It is very painful, I am a UK payroll analyst and thought I knew my processes! I have been trying since yesterday, ok should have known everyone else would be doing the same - AUS tax year July - June and tax returns due by October 31st tomorrow!following tax year end in June. I did SA = self asessment in the Uk easily. Anyway they have lots of adverts on TV for tax agents here, cause most of the system works to overtaxing you during the year so you are due a rebate, they advertise on the fact they can get you a rebate! Most of it you can do yourself but it takes time.

Anyone else please add their recommendations about tax returns in Aus, what they did and or handy hints - I can learn for next year!

PAYG = Pay as you Go is a monthly per period calc in Aus
PAYE = Paye as you Earn, annualised in UK

everyone fills in a tax return here, not the exception. So far I am due over $600 rebate and Hubby who did not work our last two months tax year here is due $0.34, I gave him the bank account interest rebate !

If you do not currently save every reciept and note costs in the UK be prepared to here it can save you lots

...........2.17 am here and still waiting for system to accept my return...agggghhhhh

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

do them earlier, rather than leave them to the last minute ?

sorry - couldnt resist - my dad always accused me of leaving things to the last minute !

i used e-tax online, no problems. it kindly let me know that as I earn over $100k, and as I didnt have private medical cover, i was eligible for another .5% medicare levy on top of the norm, so more money to pay out that i cant use.

lesson - if your combined (spouse and you) income is over $100k, make sure you have PMC, otherwise you get hit with another tax bill.

staple all the receipts you get to the tax return confirmation letter thingey for the previous year (also contains your NOA for use on etax the following year), and check where it is on a regular basis. Claim for EVERYTHING - ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Keep log books for cars used for business purposes, any phone calls / internet access usage for business, be careful with FBT on meals / drinks etc for business / client entertainment purposes.

its worth going to a local tax accountant for the first time to learn "the tricks of the trade" so to speak about what you can and cannot get back. And you can claim their fee as a tax deduction the following year.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stay or go ?
do them earlier, rather than leave them to the last minute ?

sorry - couldnt resist - my dad always accused me of leaving things to the last minute !

i used e-tax online, no problems. it kindly let me know that as I earn over $100k, and as I didnt have private medical cover, i was eligible for another .5% medicare levy on top of the norm, so more money to pay out that i cant use.

lesson - if your combined (spouse and you) income is over $100k, make sure you have PMC, otherwise you get hit with another tax bill.

staple all the receipts you get to the tax return confirmation letter thingey for the previous year (also contains your NOA for use on etax the following year), and check where it is on a regular basis. Claim for EVERYTHING - ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Keep log books for cars used for business purposes, any phone calls / internet access usage for business, be careful with FBT on meals / drinks etc for business / client entertainment purposes.

its worth going to a local tax accountant for the first time to learn "the tricks of the trade" so to speak about what you can and cannot get back. And you can claim their fee as a tax deduction the following year.
Yup fair point doing my tax return at the last min was a stupid move!

May I ask your opinion - why do 457 people have to pay medicare levy when we cannot have any return from the system? Not a problem really for me cause I have PMC and full medicare exemption but just interested shouldn't it be standard procedure to have a check box on temp residents status, there is enough of us!

Cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

have been told by people "in the know" (nod nod wink wink) that the reason why they like having so many 457 visa people over here is the extra cash they can be taxed on. it would reduce the amount of money generated to the federal government if they made it clear about medicare surcharges etc etc. politically, it would be great for any opposition govt to start ranting that "all these temporary immigrants are using our health service, and our citizens are suffering because of it". So they stop us using it. Convenient.

personally, i agree with them and think its another way for the Oz Govt to screw 457's out of more cash. we chose to come here, so there isnt really any recourse to that !
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:31 pm
Gone Senile Member

So basically we do not have to pay the medicare levy if we have PMC, we have to pay medicare if we do not have PMC but have no entitlement to use the services. They do not tell us about the options up front because they prefer us not to know about opportunities not to pay taxes and they do not rebate unless you ask.

You are right I did chose to work here on this basis and I do not have a problem with that I was just commenting on the tax process as it can be quite daunting when you first start. I actually do not find it any better in the UK believe me they do not rush to refund overpayments or at all in some cases of NI overpayments.

cheers

Last edited by Sandra; Oct 30th 2002 at 9:33 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sandra
So basically we do not have to pay the medicare levy if we have PMC, we have to pay medicare if we do not have PMC but have no entitlement to use the services. They do not tell us about the options up front because they prefer us not to know about opportunities not to pay taxes and they do not rebate unless you ask.

You are right I did chose to work here on this basis and I do not have a problem with that I was just commenting on the tax process as it can be quite daunting when you first start. I actually do not find it any better in the UK believe me they do not rush to refund overpayments or at all in some cases of NI overpayments.

cheers
there are two medicare payments. one is the standard one that everyone pays (and that as 457's you cant claim on unless close to death). the second is an additional levy if your household earns a combined total of $100k per annum - this is also unclaimable, and is there to penalise / "convince" you to take out PMC. the only one you dont pay (and that is providing you can prove to ATO that you have had PMC for the full tax year) is the second additional levy.

i hadnt even heard of this second levy until i was informed i had to pay an additional $1200 in medicare fees on top of the standard medicare levy. (hope this makes some sense).

the fine for late tax submissions is punitive anyway (about $100 iirc), so it might be worth visiting an accountant today to "learn the ropes" ?

re: UK tax back - i received my tax rebate from the Inland Revenue within 3 weeks of applying for it ! swings and roundabouts......
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:05 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra, are you from the UK, or another country with which Australia has a Health Care Agreement (see:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=101)

If so, you ARE eligible for enrolment in the Medicare system:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=219

If you are in Australia on a 457-employer sponsored visa your employer has the obligation to re-imburse any Medicare-incurred costs by you or your dependents included on the 457-application as a result of their sponsorship undertakings. This is why some employers insist that you take out private cover to effectively cap their exposure.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Sandra
Yup fair point doing my tax return at the last min was a stupid move!

May I ask your opinion - why do 457 people have to pay medicare levy when we cannot have any return from the system? Not a problem really for me cause I have PMC and full medicare exemption but just interested shouldn't it be standard procedure to have a check box on temp residents status, there is enough of us!

Cheers

Last edited by Alan Collett; Oct 31st 2002 at 12:11 am.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Sandra, are you from the UK, or another country with which Australia has a Health Care Agreement (see:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=101)

If so, you ARE eligible for enrolment in the Medicare system:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=219

If you are in Australia on a 457-employer sponsored visa your employer has the obligation to re-imburse any Medicare-incurred costs by you or your dependents included on the 457-application as a result of their sponsorship undertakings. This is why some employers insist that you take out private cover to effectively cap their exposure.

Best regards.
Thanks for all this Alan - I am from the UK, so I cannot claim the exemption - bugger, haven't done it so thats ok, as usual your advice and website are very very informative. I have Private Medical Health cover for me and the family from the company as a benefit. So I pay the normal medicare levy and give the tax office the details of my scheme so I avoid the medicare levy surcharge.

Cheers Alan