Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Aus realy that different from UK

Is Aus realy that different from UK

Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Aus realy that different from UK

Originally Posted by ASHO
I see BC is on his orange box again! get your blinkers off and come and have a look for yourself!!!
I'm no 'bleeding heart liberal' however I do object to people who consider moving country to better their standard of living being labelled as 'shit', especially on a forum like this! I'm not denying there are issues, but I maintain the vast majority make a positive contribution.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There was a good piece in the Sunday Times this week doing a comparisson between UK and Oz due to the large amounts of brits leaving - over 23000 last year.
According to its stats, pay is higher in Oz, housing is considerably cheaper and costs for things like food are cheaper.
While still in UK, but having spent many hours trawling the web before we leave in May, i would say housing is cheaper.
For example, we live in Leicester - not exactly the centre of the universe our small 2 bed house in a VERY rough area, (red light district with really high crime and several homeless and bail hostels) that needs a lot of work doing has just been valued at £135k. Thats over $270000. We have being looking for rental appartments in Sydney for $400 per week and are fairly happy with what we can get for that, we would struggle to get a decent place in Leicester for that and dont even think about getting somewhere in London for that
Then there are things like fuel - £1.04 in the UK but £0.70 in Oz. My perceprion therefore is that while some things are more expensive, others arent.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
There was a good piece in the Sunday Times this week doing a comparisson between UK and Oz due to the large amounts of brits leaving - over 23000 last year.
According to its stats, pay is higher in Oz, housing is considerably cheaper and costs for things like food are cheaper.
While still in UK, but having spent many hours trawling the web before we leave in May, i would say housing is cheaper.
For example, we live in Leicester - not exactly the centre of the universe our small 2 bed house in a VERY rough area, (red light district with really high crime and several homeless and bail hostels) that needs a lot of work doing has just been valued at £135k. Thats over $270000. We have being looking for rental appartments in Sydney for $400 per week and are fairly happy with what we can get for that, we would struggle to get a decent place in Leicester for that and dont even think about getting somewhere in London for that
Then there are things like fuel - £1.04 in the UK but £0.70 in Oz. My perceprion therefore is that while some things are more expensive, others arent.
No offence but your research is not the best. If you don't have much equity in your UK home and your work here pays normal wages, those property prices are on a par or higher than in the UK. What you see on the net very often bears no relation to what you see in the flesh. Secondly, fuel may convert to 70p but when you are earning Aus wages it's $120 +/- and thats an end to it. Converting whilst in the UK is something everyone does and is the one thing no body should do - basically it means sod all In QLD fuel is relatively (to the rest of the country) cheap but considering the amount of mileage you cover for just basic stuff, together with the wages, it's high.

Useful tip No 38,596 - whilst in the UK, earning UK pounds, do NOT convert and assume things are cheaper in Aus. They're not and the Sunday Times is crap for coming out with such nonsense.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:33 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

This whole thread has made me laugh... people from the UK leaving for Australia as they have had enough of migrants in their home country....Australia like all new world countries has been developed on Migration...Australias migrationn history comes from....Greece...Italy... Croatia...Germany...Holland....oh and the UK and everywhere in between and is a lot better for this diversity.
Oh yes a lot of Asian migrants at the moment... arent you lucky...possibly the most pleasant family orientated people you will meet on the planet.
Long live Australia's diveristy and remember you are migrants too!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:34 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No offence but your research is not the best. If you don't have much equity in your UK home and your work here pays normal wages, those property prices are on a par or higher than in the UK. What you see on the net very often bears no relation to what you see in the flesh. Secondly, fuel may convert to 70p but when you are earning Aus wages it's $120 +/- and thats an end to it. Converting whilst in the UK is something everyone does and is the one thing no body should do - basically it means sod all In QLD fuel is relatively (to the rest of the country) cheap but considering the amount of mileage you cover for just basic stuff, together with the wages, it's high.

Useful tip No 38,596 - whilst in the UK, earning UK pounds, do NOT convert and assume things are cheaper in Aus. They're not and the Sunday Times is crap for coming out with such nonsense.
Here here!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:41 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

THank you Paul and Nic....no wonder some people cant integrate!!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:47 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cufc
THank you Paul and Nic....no wonder some people cant integrate!!!
My pleasure.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:57 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Is Aus realy that different from UK

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
No it is not going to be like the UK. It is going to be like the USA. I have seen the change over the last 15 years and Oz is taking the identity of the USA. Fast food, same lingo, same boy racers on the streets, same obesity problems. Still love it though!!
Australia may be following US instructions very well but it doesnt seem to become US (no way). Australia is a outback place with only Sydney and Melbourne (as business hubs).It has less oppurtunities/less business as compared with US.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On ya.

As for the article I was wondering when someone would pick up on that.

It started all positive and dreamy (I thought here we go) but resumed and finished on a serious note - and did mention negatives. It also mentioned that some older (good/bad) Australian values are being replaced by newer ones (good/bad).
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I think with the wages it depends on your job. Some are going to pay more and some less than the UK. For my industry, i would earn about £17k per year in the UK, but in Oz, my salary is $82.
The times stats by the way are the oficial stats produced by Oz and UK goverments.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cufc
This whole thread has made me laugh... people from the UK leaving for Australia as they have had enough of migrants in their home country....Australia like all new world countries has been developed on Migration...Australias migrationn history comes from....Greece...Italy... Croatia...Germany...Holland....oh and the UK and everywhere in between and is a lot better for this diversity.
Oh yes a lot of Asian migrants at the moment... arent you lucky...possibly the most pleasant family orientated people you will meet on the planet.
Long live Australia's diveristy and remember you are migrants too!!!!

Spot on, Couldn't have put it better myself.

I will add a very very clear statement to this, If people are coming here to get away from foreign Culture in their country..... Dont... this country eventually will be influenced very heavily by Asia. Personally I'm comfortable with that... especially if they do it with Aussie accents, which is my experience of Asian Migrants.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 25th 2008 at 11:04 am.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I think OZ is completely different to UK. Especially the weather.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Australia may be following US instructions very well but it doesnt seem to become US (no way). Australia is a outback place with only Sydney and Melbourne (as business hubs).It has less oppurtunities/less business as compared with US.
Possibly true, for once Smurtaza, however your overlooking one thing, that the relativity to its neighbours and place in the world. Australia is almost certainly the strongest Power economically, Politically, and Socially in the Southern Hemisphere, and expanding still at a fantastic rate, it wont be going backwards but catching up to and possibly overtaking bigger nations as its blistering pace of growth carries it forwards... A long way to go, but this country is still destined to be a major player in future world decisions. We've got to take in a hell of a lot of Migrants from Asia before that sorts itself out though.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Possibly true, for once Smurtaza, however your overlooking one thing, that the relativity to its neighbours and place in the world. Australia is almost certainly the strongest Power economically, Politically, and Socially in the Southern Hemisphere, and expanding still at a fantastic rate, it wont be going backwards but catching up to and possibly overtaking bigger nations as its blistering pace of growth carries it forwards... A long way to go, but this country is still destined to be a major player in future world decisions. We've got to take in a hell of a lot of Migrants from Asia before that sorts itself out though.
You may be right. But this is probably 100-200 years and bucket loads of rain away! And let's not forget that there really isn't very much in the Southern Hemisphere.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Don't underestimate the influence of China, the fastest growing economy in the world. China is building at the rate of a city the size of Perth every 4 weeks. It is absorbing money, resources and expertise from all over the world and is on the way to being a very powerful and influential nation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.